Theta Civilian Rescue

Moderators: speed2, KeyBlue

Theta Civilian Rescue

Postby speed2 » 24 Jan 2017, 20:39

Theta Civilian Rescue

Feedback Thread
Feel free to post any thoughts about this mission or suggestions of what you'd like to see changed or improved. Link to the recent changes can be found in this post: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=13626&p=140165#p140165

Reporting an Issue
Please read these guidelines before posting an issue. viewtopic.php?f=78&t=13626#p140631
Having a proper report will help us fix issues faster.

Info:
  • Author: KeyBlue
  • Designed for 4 players
  • Faction: UEF
  • Voice overs: JJs_AI
  • Description:
    • Some Cybran scum have kidnapped civilians from one our settlements. Our intelligence officers were able to roughly pinpoint their current location. It is your job to go in and rescue them. We don\'t want to give them reason to retaliate later on, so the weaponry available to you, will be restricted. Good luck out there, Commander. Bring them home safe.
  • Aadding AI players will spawn ACU that do nothing but will scale the difficulty. So you can challenge yourself by adding dummy players.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Re: Theta Civilian Rescue

Postby Turinturambar » 29 Mar 2017, 20:46

the firebase in the 1st part of the Mission was easily defeatable with a gun nano acu
also it might be a good idea to add Medusas to the rhinopatrolls because if you place a few Units behind a wall to defend the rhinos will kill the wall first which can possibly be abused.
Also it is more or less possible to oc reinforcements of the cybran in the 2nd part of the Mission when they leave the base since the rhinoformation is pretty tight and easily kitable with the acu.
Attachments
5993915-Turinturambar.fafreplay
(112 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Turinturambar

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: 竜宮レナ

Postby Turinturambar » 02 Apr 2017, 18:14

in this Mission the mokey behaved Buggy (it couldnt Chpose between so many Targets an didnt shoot at all :D )
also 1st base is even on higher difficulty not diffiult to kill with nano gun com so the Mission is pretty much about surviving untill the 1st t2 pgen.
also some more wall abuse in this one (arty only could maybe have defended the big rhinopushes on the bottom)
Attachments
6013614-Turinturambar.fafreplay
(215.66 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
Turinturambar

Postby Turinturambar » 03 Apr 2017, 14:16

more wallabuse
Attachments
6017601-Turinturambar.fafreplay
(171.19 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Turinturambar

Postby qwop » 15 May 2017, 19:28

This fucking map...

Extremely tight mass at the beginning, though, to the point that it's difficult to build anything. Ironically it might be easier to play on a higher difficulty and live off of reclaim (assuming you manage to upgrade ACU unless you're overrun) than expanding to all the mexes in your corner (your ACU is too slow to protect everything, losses are inevitable with UEF).

Hands down the most punishing map I've ever played, although the push on 20:00 if you don't finish 1st objective is a tiny bit too strong IMO. Maybe I'm not as good with micro, but there's tons of everything attacking you and the loyalists will WRECK anything you can build, especially since you also have to kill those long-ranged missiles (Viper?). Your losses will most likely be heavy enough that you'll be stuck defending, trying to rebuild parts of your base and th eunits you've lost but with the constant heavy attacks it was a slow process and I've not managed to win a single game if I didn't complete the first objective in time due to the monkey wrecking everything.

Felt good winning on hard. Shame there aren't any maps like that, especially without the restrictions. I'd love me a t3/experimental "timed" missions like this one, in which you can't just spend an hour on the first part and be invincible afterwards. I especially loved the fact that there isn't any bullshit mechanic like artillery group outside of your range that inexplicably starts shooting on map expansion, or a bunch of bombers you have no way to prevent unless you know they're coming - basically all attacks can be predicted, but you're still pushed to the limit to prevent what's coming.

9/10.
qwop

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: doggy_dogg

Postby Hackworth » 05 Dec 2017, 19:29

I have beaten all other custom missions, but this mission is way too hard for me. I can never go on the offensive and therefore never get any objectives before the monkey lord rolls in. I have to park the comm in the base because I can't handle the T2/3 tanks and the T1/2 arti with the T2 I can hope to produce off the 2 mexes in the base. I couldn't go on the offense anyway because gunships and corsairs will massacre anything I send outside. The tech and/or mass available in this mission is completely insufficient. If you can beat this mission with some kind of cheese, great, but that's not how I want to play.
Hackworth

FAF User Name: Hackworth

Postby Idontknowman » 19 Dec 2017, 08:21

The good: There's finally an aggressive AI that makes use of it's base.
The bad: Arbitrary restrictions for artificial challenge.
The mistake: Doesn't work.

The intention is to expand early while it'd be wise to tunnel the attacking enemies at the spawn area's entrance where they can be handled easily, with even the advantage of them hitting the terrain and thus saving ACU HP, instead of having to defend into 3 directions (top left, top right, bottom right) while building up. But that turns out to be a mistake once the T2 unit spam starts upon which this turns into waiting for doom, the Spider Bot. I get it: Unit spam for the win. It's just not the way I want to play but the sole way I'd stand a chance here - only because of all the restrictions that were made. Now this would feel a little more doable if the units that attack from the bottom right had an actual cloaked mini-base there that could be destroyed to end these attacks. I'd actually start moving north towards the objective if it couldn't happen at any time that a bunch of T1 / T2 enemies pop up on radar, coming from the bottom right. Having some bombers patrol there doesn't work due to FAF's map border air unit stop script. And transports with assault bots would work fine but transports aren't available.

Another important issue with this map is that it doesn't allow anything but a perfect gameplay. It's either that, early death or being locked into the corner, waiting for death due to the T2 / T3 attack waves spam or the Spider Bot.

It'd help if it was somehow explained early on what tech isn't available in this mission so that at least planning with this in mind would work instead of realizing that a lot of stuff is missing only after hitting T2.

It's nice to have audio for the mission's objectives but the voice is far too quiet and it'd be better in clear English, without the accent, if possible.

Edit: I'm pretty sure that this map isn't completeable in it's current design and without mods. At least when playing solo.
Idontknowman
Crusader

FAF User Name: Idontknowman

Return to Coop