Total Mayhem design choices

Moderators: Uveso, burnie222

Total Mayhem design choices

Postby Vanguard » 13 Oct 2016, 12:51

Yesterday, when i was toying around with TM, I noticed that quite a few values are very odd - I am just asking here to quell my own curiosity: Does anyone have any insight on these issues?

1) The AEON Advanced T2 destroyer has 50.000 hitpoints, while costing roughly 3K mass. What´s up with that?

2) The Rhyolite and Rhyolite MK2 - Aeon T3 battle tanks.
Rhyo: 1800 mass, Health: 4800
Rhyo 2: 1900 mass, Health: 4200, also 1000 shieldpoints less then Rhyo MK1
From the weaponsdescription, it also looks like they are almost identical. So the Mk2 is worse in every aspect. What´s the role of the MK2 and what is it unique selling point?

And i really haven´t had any closer look into the values of other factions and units, I am sure more issue would pop up. Should I just report these issues as I find them? Is the mod actively maintained ( seeing as Version 1.29 was just released shortly, I assume yes)? While I realize, a perfect balance is NOT the primary purpose of this mod, a bit of sanity checking would do it good.

Also, while I´m at it: Would anyone like to take a bit of time, sometimes, to simple pitch a few of these units against each other to see how they compare? Could be fun. I think, I´m gonna bug my clanmates about it instead of lurking on 4-clover-phant games 8-)
Vanguard

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Vanguard

Re: Total Mayhem design choices

Postby Professor » 13 Oct 2016, 16:44

As far as I know Total Mayhem is finished being updated, 1.29 is just the 1.21 version Uveso updated to work with FAF.
Professor
Crusader

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: ProfessorJ69

Postby Sprouto » 13 Oct 2016, 17:22

While I appreciate the quality of most of Burnie's models, the unit balance is sometimes suspect. I do think that sometimes models were just kept for the looks, and not really much concerned about function.
Sprouto
Priest

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 74 times
FAF User Name: Sprouto

Postby Uveso » 14 Oct 2016, 02:49

@Vanguard:

The reason why i don't changed anything at balance is simple. It's not my mod :)
I only update the technical aspect of the mod.

But if you and your clanmates want to balance some units, then do it.
I guess you are looking for balance issues that has huge impact to the game, and you don't want to change every single unit, right ?

I will take this as bugfix then, not as balance change :)

@professor:
Version 1.29 is not only updated to work with FAF.
If you take a look into the changelog you will see over 1300 lines of changes.

I added scripts to the AI to build Tech3 Powerdefenses and to build up to 6 experimentals at the same time.
The iconsupport and the whole AI scripts are completly rewritten.
Also bugfixes to many units like wrong filepath, animations, wrong bones, wrong display abilities, missmathing Skirts, hitboxes and so on.
I also cleaned unused unit parts, projectiles, icons and scripts and all soundissues from any unit.
Also added Veteran arrays, removed unused functions, optimized ram usage and some other smal fixes posted inside the changelog.
And i also changed all scripts to work on Vanilla, Steam and FAF version of the game.

So please. Version 1.29 is not "just" version 1.21 with a FAF patch... :(
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 291 times
FAF User Name: Uveso

Postby Professor » 14 Oct 2016, 03:02

Sorry Uveso, I had meant to say no new units added in but I worded it quite poorly.
Professor
Crusader

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: ProfessorJ69

Postby Uveso » 14 Oct 2016, 03:26

No need to be sorry, i just want to make clear; It's not just a FAF patch ;)

It sounds like i updated the mod for FAForever. This is not the case.

I bugfixed all scripts, blueprints and .lua files from the mod.
Compatibility to FAF is only a small aspect of the update. (less then 1%)
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 291 times
FAF User Name: Uveso

Postby Vanguard » 15 Oct 2016, 12:50

Thanks for explaining and thanks for putting in all the work. It has some really nice units.

Yes, when I get around to it, I´d like to take some time to fix some glaring inbalances ( Aeon destryoer being my main beef here ). I do not know IF I find the time, but I´d definitely like to do it.
Vanguard

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Vanguard

Return to Total Mayhem