[e] Balance Research

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: [e] Balance Research

Postby IceDreamer » 13 May 2015, 08:03

keyser wrote:it's not a bug at all. And remove the immunity of the deflected missile would be a shame.
only allow it to be return more than once would be so cool :D having a billy being send back and forth until 1 loya move would be funny :D

Having taken a look at the code, there's no reason this can't happen, provided that in between each reflect the loyalist is given to another, enemy player. It checks projectile.Owner and IsAlly(projectile.Owner), so for a funny Youtube shenanigans are certainly possible lol
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Apofenas » 13 May 2015, 08:46

I don't understand why billy shouldn't be targetted by its own tmd or at least blocked by own shields. It's 12k damage that will completely destroy fire base from which it was launched, leaving ACU without 12k health. Expecially since player can see billy projectile flying even in fog of war. I think loyalists should be able to defend cybran forces from billy, because it's only faction without mobile shields, but they should not deflect billy straight into ACU with no firing randomness and ability to shot it down.

It would be funny with tmls, but i still can't understand this. Why in that age you couldn't prevent your own missle from going through tmd and shields if you see it getting back.

This ability would only be good if loyalists would be able to redirect missles from mmls, but predicting where the target moves.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby IceDreamer » 13 May 2015, 08:52

As one of the weapon's biggest supporters... I dunno man. I still just find it funny. I think that relative to a TML, the Billy is so much OTT, so much cheese... Having it be redirected like that, your ace in the hole trump expensive strategy, is even more ironic than ever, and that amuses me no end. I think it should stay, and some agree with me. Some don't. Hey, we may have to poll this!!! :lol:
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby keyser » 13 May 2015, 13:42

IceDreamer wrote:
keyser wrote:it's not a bug at all. And remove the immunity of the deflected missile would be a shame.
only allow it to be return more than once would be so cool :D having a billy being send back and forth until 1 loya move would be funny :D

Having taken a look at the code, there's no reason this can't happen, provided that in between each reflect the loyalist is given to another, enemy player. It checks projectile.Owner and IsAlly(projectile.Owner), so for a funny Youtube shenanigans are certainly possible lol

it doesn't work. I already tested it several time
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby DeimosEvotec » 16 May 2015, 00:46

keyser wrote:it doesn't work. I already tested it several time

I did some testing as well.
Your own loyas tmd doesn't give a damn about returning tacs because projectile.Owner doesn't change
but if you use 3 players one to launch the tacs and the other two for the loyas
then you can see that the tmd activates on the returning tacs but their course doesn't change
and I think I have an idea where the problem is: the loya tmd retruns tacs to their launch location
but redirecting a tac doesn't update the launch location to the position of the loya
so if the returning tacs fly over the second loyas the tmd activates and they send the tacs to the launch position which is still the tml
at least this is how I think it works.
IceDreamer would you mind checking for this in the code?
DeimosEvotec
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: DeimosEvotec

Postby quark036 » 16 May 2015, 16:03

Yeah, that is what happens.
It's lines 99 to 102 in gamedata/lua/defaultantiprojectile.lua

If we really want that to happen, it would just be one more line of code to change the launcher position I think.
quark036

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 26 times
FAF User Name: Quark036

Postby quark036 » 16 May 2015, 16:05

Sorry, whoops, line 95 is where it gets the launcher of the projectile.
quark036

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 26 times
FAF User Name: Quark036

Postby Softly » 22 May 2015, 19:05

Mavor change is silly, its already well worth the mass cost.

Before people start complaining about how bad it is compared to salvation, I just ran some tests and found that its better against a single high value target under multiple shields. (Significantly better, if you ignore shot flight time [~20secs] it took 25 secs to kill a t3 arty under 3 t3 shields and 3 t2 shields compared to salvation's 55 secs)
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby SpoCk0nd0pe » 23 May 2015, 05:46

What do you guys think about the land balance? I personally think it is kind of boring that some factions are just straight better then others with their superior range units. Auroras are o.k. imho because they are paper, but bricks, percies and ilshevohs just seem too strong. Especially percies and bricks could handle a speed debuff imho, that's what loyalists and titans are for (especially titans are really rarely built).
SpoCk0nd0pe

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 37 times
FAF User Name: SpoCk0nd0pe

Postby Exotic_Retard » 23 May 2015, 12:47

Softly wrote:Mavor change is silly, its already well worth the mass cost.

are you sure about that?
could you please send the replay ID?

because if you look at the unit stats you see that:
1 mavor is the same price in mass as:
8 novaxes
3 dukes
3 emissaries
1 salvation
http://content.faforever.com/faf/unitsD ... 02,UEB2302

tests show that on a short range the mavor is indeed very capable in killing a single target - on longer range it still works, but less effectively.
The emmisary is indeed less capable of destroying single targets than the mavor under the same circumstances.
However:
8 novaxes destroy the same target in 2 salvos.
3 dukes destroy the same target at the same speed as the mavor.
3 emissaries destroy the same target in 2 salvos.

so really it seems the only advantage of the experimental arty is its longer range. Its actualy effectiveness per mass is about the same, maybe a bit worse than the alternatives.

However the cheaper units have a huge advantage: you have have one of them working when the mavor is 30% built.
So i would always build t3 arty instead of mavor (or emissary for that matter) unless i have a paragon.

for reference: all arty tests were done without adjacency bonus, it gives the same 40% reload time discount for all arty anyway, when fully surrounded by t3 power. replay id: 3458033

And now a question for you Softly: Would you rather build a mavor or a yolona given the choice? and in which situations would you choose what?
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion