Serenity, Spirte striker and Absolver

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Serenity, Spirte striker and Absolver

Postby Elusive » 03 May 2019, 09:16

Serenity. T3 Aeon land unit designed to engage over long range.
Sprite striker. T3 Aeon land unit designed to engage over long range.
Absolver. T3 Aeon land unit designed to engage over long range.

While yes, all three units have their own 'flavour' in both how they function and how they are used, the overlap is still very considerable, especially as these are the types of units that see very little action in normal games. As it currently stands they step upon each others territory too much, in some situations they do this nearly to the point of effectively being the same unit, if the point of having these units is for unit verity, then its not working.

There are two ways to remedy this, either consolidate the units into two or maybe even one unit that fits the combined roles. Or differentiate the units more than they currently are so they overlap much less.

If taking the former, then I see the best action is to remove the Absolver and give its anti-shield effects to the Serenity. Giving the Serenity a reduced base damage but a grater damage against shields. This would allow it to still maintain its role as an artillery anti-structure unit as it can shred through shields more effectively than other factions mobile T3 arty, but deal less damage to the units and buildings under the shields, equaling out in the long run.

If the latter, reduce the range and speed of the absolver, buff its hitpoints and rate of fire, turn it into a unit to be included in the front lines of attacking armies so that it can help take down shields to allow the harbingers to attack everything underneath, both units complimenting each other.
Aditonally nerf the Spirte strikers rate of fire but buff its damage, to more encourage hit-and-run or VIP assassination attempts with it.
Elusive
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Elusive

Re: Serenity, Spirte striker and Absolver

Postby FtXCommando » 03 May 2019, 09:34

Absolver seen quite often to deal with shield ACU cancer and mobile shield spam as well as deleting firebases. Making it low range would sharply nerf it in 2 of these situations and I don’t see the value in how it helps against mobile shields. I want my expensive t3 units to have more range so I can keep kiting away, not so that they have to get in and potentially swamped by lower tier stuff.

Serenity sees about as much use as most t3 arty barring trebuchet.

Sniper Bot change more arguable but it will likely lead to them becoming worse as it increases the damage loss if a shot misses.

I don’t think FAF is ever going to outright remove a unit. At least that has never happened before.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Apofenas » 03 May 2019, 10:19

They are designed to engage over long distance...
...so what?

They all have completely different roles. Serenity with smallest DamageRadius, lowest RateOfFire and being split to InitialDamage and Damage over time is completely unusable arty against mobile units despite being only t3 arty that doesn't need to deploy. This one is only efficient when it is used against static targets and complete trash against mobile units just like aeon t1 arty.

On the other hand sniper bots are designed against mobile unit as it has higher DPS per mass and can hit mobile targets more consistently due to projectile travel time. However breaking fire bases is not something you want to do with these. Spike strikers don't even outrange Ravagers and that means your sniperbots would be eating arty fire before they even got to make a shot.

There is no way these units "...step upon each others territory..." more than Spearhead stepts onto Demolisher's territory.

Absolver is a bit different. It is unique unit and only one with its very specific role in the game. There is no way you could transfer its 650 anti-shield DPS to any of these units without fucking up the balance between factions. For instance, Serenity with ~80 DPS + 650 anti-shield DPS would be absurdly stronger than any other arty. Even additional 100 DPS to shields makes huge difference, but completely removes anti-shield mechanic from the game.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby keyser » 03 May 2019, 10:42

would be nice to see some serenity micro with the target priority mod from strogo
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Return to Balance Discussion