T2 Torpedo bombers Vs tier 3 torps

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

T2 Torpedo bombers Vs tier 3 torps

Postby Bennis- » 25 Feb 2019, 12:26

In my opinion T2 torps and T3 torps arnt balanced well compared to each other.
Here is why I believe that to be true:

T3 torps offer no benefit over T2 torps in terms of DPS per mass, speed or build time. But they should because they are of a higher tech tier. And they cost insane amounts of energy to build, so why not use all that Energie spent to give them a boost?

Another problem is that tier 2 torps are just too good. Why? An air player on Seton's with less next than a rock player and kill an entire fleet of navy with a few cruisers and dozens of drugs without a problem. Why? Because torps are just too goddamn fast. A navy rush by one player can be stopped ez pz by 10 torps. In terms of mass against mass torps just tell navy. (Except shield boats, of course)

Here is my suggestion:

1. reduce T2 torp speed by 10%. I think this would be a good move in the right direction

2. Increase T3 torp firing and turn cycle so it can kill stuff quicker and not just trade with cruisers 1v1. (Or snipe bships)

Kill me now
Bennis-

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 30 times
FAF User Name: Bennis

Re: T2 Torpedo bombers Vs tier 3 torps

Postby ____ » 25 Feb 2019, 14:47

I actually wanted to make a thread for this as well, but I guess you were faster…

Imo the biggest problem with the solace is, that its charges simply cannot hit the desired target when said target is close to a land mass.
Replay ID: 9321189 (It’s only 2 min long)

As you can see in this replay, the t2 torp has absolutely no difficulties hitting its target, even when the battleship is extremely close to the island. All of the depth charges connected and did their full amount of damage.
The solace however, dropped ALL of its charges on the land mass. As you can see the Solace drops them so early that even if I moved the battleship further away from the island, most charges would still not have connected.

Iirc this used to be the case with t2 torps as well, but luckily was fixed. I suggest that this should be done for the Solace as well, as this problem majorly impacts its effectiveness and is quite annoying to deal with in game.
However, I can see how this could be difficult to achieve without completely reworking its weapon behaviour (e.g. giving it t2 torp like charges). My suggestion would be to let it drop its charges closer to the targeted unit and change it towards having much smaller intervals between each charge being dropped.

Another problem is that if the charges even hit the water to begin with, that they can be outrun quite easily. The whole process of dropping the torpedoes simply takes too long, giving your ships a move order in the opposite direction almost always results in none of the torpedoes connecting.

What would be my suggestion to fix this? Additionally, to the above-mentioned changes on the fire cycle I would increase the muzzle velocity by like 20% or so. Of course, both the changes to the fire cycle and the torpedoes themselves would have to be played around with since the first suggestion also effects the second problem I mentioned.
I personally disagree with further nerfs to the t2 torp, as it is already getting a 25% nerf in the beta.
____

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Evildrew » 25 Feb 2019, 21:06

I spoke to exotic retard about this a while back last year when I wanted to improve the solace for my mod. His reply was along the lines of; t3 torpedo bombers are bugged but people are used to it/like it, so no need to fix it :) As I understood it you only need to apply the same scripting stuff from T2 torps to the T3 torp...

Anyway maybe Uveso or someone with the power of lua scripting can provide us the answer as to what needs changing in script. Please post solution below :)
Evildrew

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 36 times
FAF User Name: Evildrew

Postby Steel_Panther » 08 Mar 2019, 04:51

I agree with two bennis posts in a row...did I just lose 500 rating?!

The best solution might be nerfing t2 torp bombers. If T3 torps are relatively much more effective after any changes, then the theme of random factions for setons might have to change if Aeon becomes too op for air slot. Or for aeon navy players, it might just help make up for garbage aeon navy?!
Steel_Panther

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 19 times
FAF User Name: Steel_Panther

Postby Gorton » 08 Mar 2019, 11:33

I believe torps are nerfed in the latest balance patch/faf beta. Check it for details?
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby Apofenas » 08 Mar 2019, 12:58

I believe that main problem about Solaces is not DPS per mass, build time or speed. In theory you get similiar DPS per mass values, but in practice you lose your DPS as you lose torp bombers and most of the time you lose T2 torp bombers even before you make a first hit on target.

Solace allows you to pack all that DPS in one unit with bigger HP. And that's where the problem is. T2 torp bombers have around 3.33-3.6 HP per mass, Solace only has 2.27.

I suggest to increase Solace HP to around 5-5.5k. This would allow this unit to survive engagements that usually end up as suicidal runs for T2 torps and than potentially return to base so you could repair it at air staging facility.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Return to Balance Discussion