The Aurora nerf, too punishing? Topic is solved

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: The Aurora nerf, too punishing?

Postby biass » 07 Jun 2017, 17:48

ZLO_RD wrote:i'd lower muzzle velocity for aurora if i wanted to nerf it a little,

I like this idea

I rather missed shots come about because the other player was "good" and dodged the shots rather then random chance

giving players a better ability to dodge the shots is a welcome nerf to aurora imo :mrgreen:

also @keyser the local file wasnt there at first, people say they cannot watch it when they tried to grab the file from the server using the id, i added it at Phillip request
Last edited by biass on 07 Jun 2017, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby PhilipJFry » 07 Jun 2017, 17:48

yeah he added the file after i pinged him
to be honest i don't see the issue in that game
lots of shots against the ground but that's nothing new with auroras when there is uneven terrain
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby biass » 07 Jun 2017, 18:02

i think looking back at it that its more about how frustrating to use them in the moment because watching the replay it doesn't look that bad

but in-game i got so mad at the sheer amount of shots missed i decided to try doing all fervor until i got t2

this is why i think something else like an rof change or a muzzle velocity change is better suited to making the tanks not utterly cancerous to use but still working in the direction of "aurora nerf" that which i am ok with

and you might as well make it for when they're standing still as well, i don't want to have to try and halt units to keep them "good" especially when dodging shots is the only thing keeping them alive (medusa comes to mind)

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Postby SpoCk0nd0pe » 07 Jun 2017, 21:15

biass wrote:and you might as well make it for when they're standing still as well, i don't want to have to try and halt units to keep them "good" especially when dodging shots is the only thing keeping them alive (medusa comes to mind)

Good point. I too think that keeping movement is desirable. It ups the dynamic of the game.
SpoCk0nd0pe

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 37 times
FAF User Name: SpoCk0nd0pe

Postby IceDreamer » 08 Jun 2017, 00:38

I agree with how this thread is progressing. Keep up the good debate people :)
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby JaggedAppliance » 08 Jun 2017, 01:36

To the question in the title, so far I don't think it's too punishing. It will ofc make players focus on all the shots their auroras missed since the patch :D

The idea of reducing muzzle velocity slightly instead of the current nerf seems more appealing to me the more I think about it. It rewards micro more and it is more intuitive and apparent to players without the need for reading patchnotes. I'll try it out for the next patch to see if it works as well as it sounds in theory.
"and remember, u are a noob, u don’t have any rights to disagree" - Destructor

My Youtube channel with casts > https://www.youtube.com/c/jaggedappliance
My Twitch > https://www.twitch.tv/jaggedappliance
JaggedAppliance
Councillor - Balance

Has liked: 734 times
Been liked: 313 times
FAF User Name: JaggedAppliance

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 08 Jun 2017, 02:42

inb4 they lower Aurora's muzzle velocity to the Ythotha death ball velocity and give it 800 damage per shot.

It would be interesting to see some more T2 land from aeon aside from the usual aurora+guncom to harb rush.
Spoiler: show
Does make one wonder though how to kill obsidians paired with mobile shields.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby FtXCommando » 08 Jun 2017, 03:44

Lich King wrote:inb4 they lower Aurora's muzzle velocity to the Ythotha death ball velocity and give it 800 damage per shot.

It would be interesting to see some more T2 land from aeon aside from the usual aurora+guncom to harb rush.
Spoiler: show
Does make one wonder though how to kill obsidians paired with mobile shields.

Obsidians and shields are best as late t2 units. Aeon meme blaze tank isn't even worth building to stop t1 tbh. With that and the fact you got to get t2 pgens to run obsidians and sheields in large numbers, you might as well as go for harbs which do what obsidians do while being faster, stronger, better ranged, and awesome against t1.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby biass » 08 Jun 2017, 06:48

I don't think that obsidian are too good early on, and with the blaze tank being mostly rubbish the only other solution is to make mobile shields for your auroras, which can cancel out a lot of their weaknesses

However i think this randomness might even nerf aurora vs t2 harder, t2 are a little slower on some accounts and that with their larger frame make it hard for t2 tanks to dodge aurora shots, if needed

Having the aurora straight up miss t2 tanks hurts hard especially if your harb rush goes wrong and you need to stall a tiny bit, even more frustrating in game, when you're doing everything "right" but you're kicking the bucket anyways due to random chances like the randomness

also is the randomness just horizontal or vertical as well? a lot of shots are landing just short of the (enemy) tanks and i want to know if im just imagining things :D

biass
Contributor

Postby IceDreamer » 08 Jun 2017, 12:32

Horizontal only. To prove, fire a mavor at the ground a long way away at +10, then use shift-f6 to edit the FR to say 10 times, build a second, and do it again. only the horizontal spread changes
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion