Are mobile shields underused?

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Are mobile shields underused?

Postby NodCommander » 19 Sep 2016, 09:39

Hello!

First off, I just want to say that I am not saying something is under- or overused, I am only stating a question about something I observed in a lot of casted games.

To the point!

Are mobile (especially UEF and Aeon) shields underused? I mean, I do regularly see Aeon players throw in 20+ shields to support a Galactic Collossus but why are they never used in the T2 stage? Of course you cannot field 20 shields at that stage, but why not just 1 or 2 alongside your horde of Pillars/Obsidians? I personally play Cybran, but I often find myself thinking how useful mobile shields would be in engagements.
"He who controls the past, commands the future, He who commands the future, conquers the past." -Kane
NodCommander

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: NodCommander

Re: Are mobile shields underused?

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 19 Sep 2016, 10:43

Lets loock on economic:

shield: 144m 1080e -75e/s ==>425mass cost for 3800shield bubble
75e/s => 281,25m in t1 Pgen

for 425m you can have 1more obsi with 2750hp and 120dps as bonus or 2 pillars with 3000hp and 110dps

But still in most of situation i build 3 obsi + 1 shield. Because i like my army and dont like when they die, but economical it is not worth it in most of situation.
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby NodCommander » 19 Sep 2016, 11:58

Ithilis_Quo wrote:Lets loock on economic:

shield: 144m 1080e -75e/s ==>425mass cost for 3800shield bubble
75e/s => 281,25m in t1 Pgen

for 425m you can have 1more obsi with 2750hp and 120dps as bonus or 2 pillars with 3000hp and 110dps

But still in most of situation i build 3 obsi + 1 shield. Because i like my army and dont like when they die, but economical it is not worth it in most of situation.

Two counterpoints to that which I forgot to mention: A shield can help you leave less reclaim in possible enemy territory. And second, mobile shields + T3 land also seems like a useful thing.
"He who controls the past, commands the future, He who commands the future, conquers the past." -Kane
NodCommander

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: NodCommander

Postby biass » 19 Sep 2016, 12:11

Hello, im an early Percival, i have 9000hp
I dropped next to an enemy acu, i escaped but he managed to fire an overcharge at me
With the parashield that i took with me on the transport, i now survive the overcharge with 500 health remaining instead of instantly dying and being reclaimed

Spoiler: show
also mong + shield brah also sensor + range gun + have a mobile shield and a flak buddy when ur aeon brah
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Zock » 19 Sep 2016, 13:29

Shields are not that great at the moment. They are not useless, but they could probably use some buff, especially considering that they often require quite some attention to be used effectively. But its not so easy, because they can very quickly become as OP as they were before the shield stacking nerf.

I have some ideas about shields and how to improve the stacking nerfs, but there are more important things to do before that, so it'll probably be a while before we'd get to that (if i'm still doing balance then :P )
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby crispyambulance » 19 Sep 2016, 23:44

Aeon shields are really useful with destroyers. Sera are OK but having to get to T3 land makes it hard to use them with anything but battleships. Both should have great synergy with cruisers, but with Sera it's never worth the trouble to me since you can just build carriers by then.
crispyambulance
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
FAF User Name: crispyambulance

Postby zeroAPM » 20 Sep 2016, 14:57

Zock wrote:I have some ideas about shields and how to improve the stacking nerfs, but there are more important things to do before that, so it'll probably be a while before we'd get to that (if i'm still doing balance then :P )

Please, post it so we can commence bitching about it this instant in true FAF fashion.
zeroAPM
Priest

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: Impressingbutton

Postby Apofenas » 20 Sep 2016, 16:09

Ithilis already mentioned the inefficiency of t2 shields compare to getting more standard tanks.

But the problem of mobile shields lies a bit deeper. Standard tanks are not units that should be combined with mobile shields. It should be Mongoose and Blaze. Why? Getting 3.5k HP shield for a bunch of 650 HP t2 units is absurdly important survivability boost. And it is as important for aeon when you fight range bots: you need shield to tank damage while paper Blazes get in range.

But than 99% of time players prefer Pillar over Mongoose because this unit requires a lot of micro and dies as soon as you make a single mistake.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby Vanguard » 21 Sep 2016, 09:25

I find UEF shields are extremely useful for assaulting enemy firebases. Stopping artillery shells / enemy MML landing in my army is quite a nice thing. Then again, I´m a seton´s player. :oops:
Vanguard

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Vanguard

Postby NapSpan » 21 Sep 2016, 11:41

Well, some shields with your mongoose army can save you from kitting them so much, also saves them from random bombers.
We have "Continentals" so moving shit around must be important.
NapSpan

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: NapSpan

Next

Return to Balance Discussion