Thoughts about Balance

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Thoughts about Balance

Postby biass » 05 Jun 2017, 05:35

Evildrew wrote:Despite BH's knowledge and commitment towards the game he was dismissed by the zock who keep making changes every time an issue is identified(like loyalist rush, right? oh wait)

can we just

you know
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby PhilipJFry » 05 Jun 2017, 08:25

You're kinda late to the party Evildrew.
Blackheart already said that he will not work with the FAF team.
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Blackheart » 05 Jun 2017, 12:24

How does me saying i would contribute to balance on an alternate client imply that i wouldnt work on balance here? ;)

Given the faf team accepting my conditions (stated often enough) i would of course work on faf balance. I simply know that im hated too much by the people in power for it to ever happen :)

Also interesting to see that people think "im not in for the long run", when im pretty much around 24/7 since 2012, have the most written words in aeolus (my biggest achievement in faf), thousands of games, returned to streaming and possibly casting, and create and update (with the help of many other people :D ) an own balance mod. :ugeek:
Blackheart
Priest

Has liked: 294 times
Been liked: 299 times
FAF User Name: various

Postby Morax » 05 Jun 2017, 12:56

Give the man a chance
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby FtXCommando » 05 Jun 2017, 12:59

Morax wrote:Give the man a chance

Wouldn't that require radically changing the structure of the balance team while also putting new people in that new structure? It's kind of a big ask.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Farmsletje » 05 Jun 2017, 13:00

It's a great mod, believe me. I know mods i use the best mods.

It's especially nice that the UEF got a nice buff.
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby CrazedChariot » 05 Jun 2017, 14:05

I like BlackHeart, but I would be hesitant to give him too powerful a voice on balance. He is a tremendous player, but he also has a very strong aversion to any sort of change (in my experience with him). For instance, he was completely against engy mod when Zock and I were testing it, which I think was one of the largest overall improvements to the game in general. It made tons of units viable, expansions possible, etc etc. I worry about creating a stagnant game without constant updates.

I use the example above, not as a knock on BH, but more about balance in general. Not every patch is going to be perfect, but over time you hope for something that looks like a growth chart. Is the game better in 2017 than it was at the last GPG patch? I would say emphatically yes! I got to #1 on ladder in gpg while basically only making a few units... the games today are quite amazing in comparison. It's worth suffering through a bad patch now and then to get this result.

Keep in mind that FA is 10 years old. If you don't constantly add new wrinkles, people will get bored and leave. The only reason I get drawn back and continue to play is due to the great community and interest in seeing what new meta / strategy / tactics are now possible. I love experiencing all the different phases that balance changes have provided over the years, and look fondly upon the old the rambo scu days, massive t2 land spam days, lab raid days, Ghetto gunship days, etc etc.

Achieving perfect balance might be the end of FA in my opinion. Its the journey and changes that keep me coming back at least.
CrazedChariot
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: CrazedChariot

Postby IceDreamer » 05 Jun 2017, 20:57

I'd be fine working with BH. Just.. You know, in case the next massive community vote doesn't go against him this time...
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Morax » 05 Jun 2017, 21:03

FtXCommando wrote:
Morax wrote:Give the man a chance

Wouldn't that require radically changing the structure of the balance team while also putting new people in that new structure? It's kind of a big ask.

Not really, no. Jagged employs Petric, Turin, Nexus for help in testing. If Blackheart shows some good data in tests and jagged refuses then shame on jagged, but if Blackheart doesn't produce then shame on him. No actual power, just a chance.

As for crazed, lovely reply but I miss t2 spam as it's far more interesting than t1.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Farmsletje » 05 Jun 2017, 22:26

Pillars boi ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor