BETA: T1 bomber sandboxes

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

BETA: T1 bomber sandboxes

Postby JaggedAppliance » 18 Aug 2016, 14:53

Showcasing some bomber micro in these replays. You can see how hoverbombing is not really gone. Because of the fast turn rate you can click once and have the bomber turn in a very tight arc. There are also many weird bomb drops and sometimes the bomber is not vertical but kind of turned over or pitched up. All of this behaviour is present with the normal t1 bombers but I'm not sure if it is so common as it is with these bombers, I think it isn't.

Many bomb drops are very fast which is important vs engies, making some drops undodgeable. Again, normal bombers can drop super fast bombs also but it seems far more common for these drops to occur with the new bomber.

In the second replay you can see microed vs non microed bomber. They kill the base at a similar time because of some failed micro by me but the microed bomber does kill the pgens fast which is more important and the bomber is already thought to perhaps need a nerf to how quickly it turns for another pass, you can see just how fast it turns and drops.

Third replay is the normal bombers microed vs unmicroed. There is behaviour here which isn't possible with new bombers like hovering backwards and sideways. It looks like there are far less fast drops here though, maybe someone can confirm or refute this.

Please share your thoughts about these replays and the bombers, new and old.

Forgive my micro also :D

Edit: the replays may be listed in the wrong order but you can tell if the bomber has no radar it's a beta bomber, otherwise it's the normal one.
Attachments
5058305-JaggedAppliance.fafreplay
(27.27 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
5058262-JaggedAppliance.fafreplay
(22.77 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
5058234-JaggedAppliance.fafreplay
(28.05 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Last edited by JaggedAppliance on 19 Aug 2016, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
"and remember, u are a noob, u don’t have any rights to disagree" - Destructor

My Youtube channel with casts > https://www.youtube.com/c/jaggedappliance
My Twitch > https://www.twitch.tv/jaggedappliance
JaggedAppliance
Councillor - Balance

Has liked: 734 times
Been liked: 313 times
FAF User Name: JaggedAppliance

Re: BETA: T1 bomber sandboxes

Postby Morax » 18 Aug 2016, 19:03

I haven't watched yet but this result is miserable. The whole point was to prevent first-bomber cheese, no?
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Nexus_of_Reality » 18 Aug 2016, 22:31

yea t1 bombers are stronger in beta it seems xD but t1 maa is a little overpowered in beta as well.. Imo the maa needs to be half as strong as it is in beta, and bombers dont need to be messed with too much. It's gotten to the point where 1 mobile aa can kill a bomber pretty easily/quickly.
Nexus_of_Reality

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 40 times
FAF User Name: Nexus_of_Reality

Postby Iszh » 19 Aug 2016, 06:29

But it costs double and has double builttime nexus. They are not stronger just merged 2 units into 1.
Iszh
Evaluator

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 126 times
FAF User Name: Iszh

Postby snuffles » 19 Aug 2016, 08:00

I see that bomber has radar still
Play the Beta.
snuffles

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: Manta-Avoid

Postby PhilipJFry » 19 Aug 2016, 09:31

snuffles wrote:I see that bomber has radar still

The last replay is not a beta game to show the difference between the beta patch and the current patch.

@JaggedAppliance did you have a harder time microing the beta bomber or the regular bomber (for hoverbombing) or was there no difference for you at all?
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Iszh » 19 Aug 2016, 10:11

Fafreplayparser:
First replay without beta 101 APM
the other replays with beta 70 APM

and watching it it seems that it is even more easy because turning you can do with a few clicks how he described and hover bomber you needed to click a lot. But of course lets wait what he will tell himself.

First game:
xxx5.JPG
xxx5.JPG (26.46 KiB) Viewed 4315 times

Second game:
xxx2.JPG
xxx2.JPG (26.45 KiB) Viewed 4315 times

Third game:
xxx4.JPG
xxx4.JPG (29.83 KiB) Viewed 4315 times
Iszh
Evaluator

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 126 times
FAF User Name: Iszh

Postby Zock » 19 Aug 2016, 10:47

@Morax, and everyone else thinking this

The (first bombers) are not removed, and it was specifically intended to weaken them, but not remove them as more possible options and strategies are always a good thing.

The new behaviour for the bomber doesn't have the goal to weaken first bomber either, the changes are made to make unmicroed bombers behave better and more convinient, to reduce the gap in usefulness between microed and unmicroed bombers, and to act as counterweight to the actual first bomber nerfs to prevent "normal" bombers becoming too weak.

Judging if the goal of weakening first bombers is reached based on the behaviour of the bomber can't work. The first bomber is weakned by the cost and build time increase, the removal of radar, and the changes to maa. When the microed bomber does about as much damage as hoverbomber did before, it is still weaker when you take this other nerfs into account.

@Nexus_of_Reality, and others

Izsh is correct, i have seen many posts using the "massive buffs" to the maa as arguments, but i wonder if you guys are aware that while dps is doubled, cost and buildtime is doubled too? The unit is buffed indeed, but it is far from massive, and most advantages from the changes are very indirect and situational.
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby snuffles » 19 Aug 2016, 12:52

PhilipJFry wrote:
snuffles wrote:I see that bomber has radar still

The last replay is not a beta game to show the difference between the beta patch and the current patch.

@JaggedAppliance did you have a harder time microing the beta bomber or the regular bomber (for hoverbombing) or was there no difference for you at all?

I ran the second replay, not the third
Play the Beta.
snuffles

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: Manta-Avoid

Postby Morax » 19 Aug 2016, 15:42

Honestly Zock, I do understand and it's good work on your end, but I'm just very worried people are not testing enough and seeing situations full-out. I guess that's FAF for ya, though.

I did a t2 gunship rush and some t1 maa was enough to take them out rather flack, which made me upset. I'm a BIG gunship fan so this becoming a less viable strat makes it less intriguing to me.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Next

Return to Balance Discussion