OC instakill T3?

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

OC instakill T3?

Postby Masyaka » 28 Jul 2016, 14:06

Im not entirely sure but i see 2 coms killing 7k HP othuums in a single hit, probably OC. If enemy com gets OC only way to kill him is to make air or expis, or swarms of T2 instead of abit of T3 bots. Why OC is so overpowered? You can get it in first minute of the game but even in 15 minutes you can kill whole group of T3 units that fucked his eco and already started to shoot the com.
Masyaka
Priest

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Rok-Weiler

Re: OC instakill T3?

Postby ZLO_RD » 28 Jul 2016, 14:43

well yea it always was like that, you can even kill t4, especially if they don't prioritise your ACU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFhAeG0 ... Q&index=24

OC has 3636 dps if you OC as fast as possible and ofc you need to spend 5000 power every 3.3 second for that (don't actually have to have 1515 power income, may just have ton of storage available and can overcharge for some time without problem)

Aeon ACU with range gun upgraide can even outrange monkeylord and in older balance version that was used to counter monkeylords even if ACU does not have shield upgraide (get range, and sensors and maybe RAS on ACU :D )
(monkeylords were used back in time cause they used to cost 16k mass, now it is more like 19k mass, and 21k mass on steam version of game)
Fatboys have low DPS for a t4 unit and you can drop or teleport ACU under fatboy shield and kill it with like 2 overcharges or so

also:
1) you can just avoid ACU
2) you can just kill all his power
3) you can kill all his power storages
4) hide inder static t2 shield, OC can't penetrate that (shields inherit armour type from thing that produces it, that means against static shield OC will only do 800 damage, against mobile shield it will do full 12000 damage)
5) you can don't group up your units so OC only kills one unit at a time
6) you can run around ACU abusing it slow turret turn rate (if you are the one who is useing overcharge, better to OC things that ACU already shooting, or near that angle, or else ACU will have to stop for a second and turn his gun and only then fire an overcharge, it is usually not so critical but if you want to overcharge and retreat at the same time following that rule can save your life)
7) you can even block overcharge with other units or buildings, like hiding your early t2 units right behind your own ACU is a common tactic in ladder, but don't get to close to ACU so overcharge does not just damage both things
8) percy and brick can actually outrange all gun ACUs except Aeon range com (it has same range) so going against percies with gun ACU can be dangerous if opponent will do correct micro

well usually you use t2 pds to stop agressive commanders

but yea you are right overcharge is very strong tool but your ACU can still die to swarms of t3, or if you get softened to much air attack can finish your ACU
That is one of the reason why maps like gap or wonder are so turtly, cause whereever you try to go there will be an ACU to overcharge your unis

btw in vanilla supreme commander overcharge used to deal 70000 damage, and to buildings as well, but in lower radius
that is probably why galactic collosus still has omni sensor from vanilla times, so you can't use stealth+cloak cybran ACU to get close and OC it :lol:

Edit: also if percy or brick get to much veteranity it may happen that one overcharge will not be enought to kill them
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby Masyaka » 28 Jul 2016, 15:16

i've had 6 othuums that was breaking their def lines, 3 of them died while i was doing this and then gunship spam, alter i met the com and he killed others 3. he was in font of his power gens i can do nothing about that...
Masyaka
Priest

Postby nine2 » 28 Jul 2016, 16:40

So it was a bad idea to send ur units in. U need to protect them from acu until you have enough to kill him. That applies always but especially with early t3/2 units... Especially if your going to lose your whole army. I killed an acu the other day with 6 othums but I took care to hit him all at once, separated out so overcharge could only only hit one ...
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Masyaka » 28 Jul 2016, 16:56

Anihilnine wrote:So it was a bad idea to send ur units in. U need to protect them from acu until you have enough to kill him. That applies always but especially with early t3/2 units... Especially if your going to lose your whole army. I killed an acu the other day with 6 othums but I took care to hit him all at once, separated out so overcharge could only only hit one ...

They've just started spamming PD when i sent the othuums, if i would wait it could be too late
Masyaka
Priest

Postby nine2 » 28 Jul 2016, 23:33

It's not always possible to attack. Some times the right thing ti do is bring your troops home and ctrlk them. (better would be to kill something else... Power, mexes, dignity)
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Postby Masyaka » 29 Jul 2016, 08:11

Anihilnine wrote:It's not always possible to attack. Some times the right thing ti do is bring your troops home and ctrlk them. (better would be to kill something else... Power, mexes, dignity)
My mass storage was 10k

are you sure it will worth it?
Masyaka
Priest

Postby nine2 » 29 Jul 2016, 11:22

Sometimes your units are useless and cannot be used for attack and you do not need them for defense.

For example you could build an experimental ... Spend that 10k mass and the reclaim from those tanks
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 29 Jul 2016, 19:57

6 Othuums is just a tiny little bit at the T3 stage. You're looking at a total of 2400 DPS.

What does the opposing commander have? T3 and gun? In that case, he can outrange 300 of your DPS the first and possibly second overcharge. You'll only have 4 Othuums left by the time they get in range. Then there's only 1600 DPS left. They all have to survive 10 seconds against the ACU in order to do 10K damage. If your opponent fires every 4 seconds, at 4 seconds the third Othuum dies, at 8 the 4th and then you've got 2 left that do 800 DPS damage.

6 Othuums simply isn't enough. The situation you had will likely need 10 at least to catch your opponent by surprise. If a T3 Gun com sees your army coming, it can prepare easily. Build a couple of static shields, some T1 PD that will focus on one T3 unit at a time while the ACU goes OC happy.

You need a group large enough to overpower your opponent instantly. I've often sent my ary (T1/T2 combination) into an enemy group that had the ACU because I thought they'd be able to kill it. What would normally kill the army with easy, or destroy the ACU in 5 seconds, now died to the combined firepower and HP on the ACU. Your group needs to be larger. In terms of T1 tanks, 15 tanks will let the ACU survive, 20 tanks can just about kill it (if there is no OC). In case of T2, your T2 units have to die 1 by 1 if your group isn't very large. If 2 or 3 die at the same time to OC, you've lost the critical mass needed. In T3, the same (I can remember dodging 6 Percivals and Overcharging them all). In T4, 1 experimental is enough to achieve critical mass but only if your opponent isn't paying attention. If he is, the question that people will ask is "I sent my GC to kill the ACU while it was in a firebase with 10 PD and 3 shields. Why did it fail?". The answer: "The GC isn't as powerful as you think". The same with your Othuums.

In short, pick targets of which you're absolutely sure you'll destroy them and if your opponent is starting on a firebase near your army, building shields, PDs etc, set MMLs and T3 artillery to deny him. Use the small T3 groups as raiding groups. Go all over the map. An ACU can't do that. OC is perfectly balanced because making it weaker will turn the ACU even more in a "we have to babysit this thing".
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby biass » 30 Jul 2016, 04:24

Guys, paragraphs upon paragraphs is a lot to take in if you're new and harder if you have ESL

Overcharges do 12000 damage each, maybe try some mobile shields to tank the damage?

You can also send some bombers to kill an energy storage so he cannot OC you
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Next

Return to Balance Discussion