Faction Diversity

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Faction Diversity

Postby IceDreamer » 04 Aug 2016, 17:51

Perhaps you could come up with a list of the sections in the beta you wish removed from the final release. It may help along internal discussions.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby AdmiralZeech » 04 Aug 2016, 17:57

I don't think arguments is the way to decide. It should be decided by gameplay. Like, have some tournaments in this new version, and inspect the matches to see how the gameplay has changed. FAF is nimble. Try the changes first, we can always reverse the change later on.

It's perfectly possible that, even though some don't like the "sound" of the HP changes, in practice it makes so little difference that they actually don't care anymore (or is unexpectedly positive).
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Postby KeyBlue » 04 Aug 2016, 19:31

Morax wrote:Zock, clearly a lot of people don't like the proposed changes. Let's please re-negotiate what goes into this balance patch.

Morax wrote:In this case Blodir, myself, and many others who understand the game fairly well are heavily opposed so I'd say it's not a good idea to push this one.

Majority vote with only "experts", is still majority vote.

So should we make a list with all "Blodir, myself, and many others who understand the game fairly well" and let them vote?
Or what do you suggest? That "Blodir, myself, and many others who understand the game fairly well" get veto rights on all the decisions made by the balance team?

I mean I get that people don't like certain things in the patch. But you have to understand that you can't straight up say no.

I thought that the beta was the negotiating stage, of which there has been not that much on the forum.
(only 2 "experts" made a thread? Blodir and Viba. Or did i miss one?)
KeyBlue
Priest

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 93 times
FAF User Name: KeyBlue

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 04 Aug 2016, 19:53

Here's the thing - majority do not care about balance, which are the Thermo, Gap, Survival, Phantom players (there are exceptions, of course) and they just keep pressing the "host an FAF game" button instead of seeing a patch released to public beta and pressing "Host an FAF Beta game" for a test.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby Hawkei » 05 Aug 2016, 05:43

Morax wrote: All I can say is why the hell has no one tried to change the Titan, Mongoose, Blaze, etc in this patch?

The way it was explained to be was that changes to those units will not be occurring in this balance patch. As there are already a number of balance changes which need to be tested and implemented. Doing everything in one go would be a bridge too far.

I have no problem with changing the structure HP in the name of faction diversity. With my only caveat being that it will place greater importance on knowing exactly how many of each "thing" is required to destroy it. These calculations are done quickly and when insufficient firepower is delivered will result in incomplete destruction... The mental work around I am using is to work only in UEF figures, and accept a certain amount of overkill when facing other factions.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Mad`Mozart » 05 Aug 2016, 18:08

Morax wrote:Zock, clearly a lot of people don't like the proposed changes. Let's please re-negotiate what goes into this balance patch.

Balance should never be handled by playerbase liking or not some changes. Nothing good will ever come out of this.
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Mel_Gibson » 05 Aug 2016, 18:41

Mad`Mozart wrote:Balance should never be handled by playerbase liking or not some changes. Nothing good will ever come out of this.

Regardless of whether the playerbase likes these changes or not. You don't think making changes that upset the player base of a shrinking community is important..?
Mel_Gibson

Has liked: 694 times
Been liked: 186 times

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 06 Aug 2016, 02:34

Yes, I agree with Swol. FAF is the same size it was 6 months ago, if not less. At this point, the more important goal is to draw players in. How is that done? Fixing balance the community way, AKA the quick way (add the changes that have been asked for, do not change what was not asked for), then focus on advertising the game. A quick fix for now to draw new players in because a few thousand is not enough.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby Mel_Gibson » 06 Aug 2016, 02:49

LichKing2033 wrote:Yes, I agree with Swol.

I must be wrong then...
Spoiler: show
<3
Mel_Gibson

Has liked: 694 times
Been liked: 186 times

Postby angus000 » 06 Aug 2016, 03:00

Swol wrote:
Mad`Mozart wrote:Balance should never be handled by playerbase liking or not some changes. Nothing good will ever come out of this.

Regardless of whether the playerbase likes these changes or not. You don't think making changes that upset the player base of a shrinking community is important..?

I don't think that balance changes will ever be a reason for this community to be shrinking.
angus000

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 39 times
FAF User Name: flexible

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion