Beta patch

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Beta patch

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 27 Jul 2016, 23:30

Patch fixes some things but breaks others.

Good:
1) Selen toggle - requires explanation it not.
2) MAA buff - same as 1. Good that now they are of any worth.
3) Naval HQ nerf.

Bad
1) Buildings HP change - this is the area where all factions should be equal. Reason being is: Why should I, as UEF, pay for just 1 TML to kill your T2 HQ or T3 pgen when you have to pay extra 50 mass for the launcher AND you have to build two tacs? Now don't tell me it's so Cybrans would use stealth more because a single scout will reveal everything. Bah, I don't even need a scout! When your T1 land factory goes dark, I know you went T2 so I'll TML it ASAP.

I agree with nerfing naval factory's HP but that is the only part of HP changes that I agree with.

2) T1 bomber - I am fine with higher cost because bombs were buffed. But removing the radar makes the bomber blind. Before, I could send one out to an enemy expansion that had no AA, just a few engies, and I did not need a scout. I'd micro the bomber to fly over the area so I see where the engy is from afar and I can turn the bomber to kill it on the first pass, without the need to fly over without bombing and then come back as it gives time to the enemy to scramble fighters and kill the bomber. Now I need to send a scout (extra 40 mass that will be donated, should the operation "Engy Kill" fail) to queue attack orders for the bomber. Do you ever see a real life bomber flying after a scout? No, because the bombers have radar of their own and they can find the targets, even if they do not know their precise location.

3) RAS nerf - Sure, nerf energy. However, do not nerf mass because at the time someone gets RAS, they will need extra mass for production. Plus you paid 150k E and 5k mass for this venture, better see it pay off well and 8 mass is not good enough a payoff.

Uncertain:
1) Lobo - I do not see this being a significant impact, theoretically or practically so I have nothing to say.
2) Fire Beetles - Saw them just a few times being used, not enough to conclude anything.

Suggestion:

Revert the changes made to structures and RAS/ARAS. Focus on units and let structures be.

Spoiler: show
Hoverbombing... well,
Phelom wrote:Hoverbombing is an art!
but I do not care if it is removed or not.
Last edited by Lieutenant Lich on 31 Jul 2016, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Re: Beta patch

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 28 Jul 2016, 00:05

Have you read the arguments for the RAS changes? The main point was the speed at which T3 air became available, especially for in team games. I agree with that argument. That being said, I personally think that the mass income after RAS should be the same, and only energy income should be reduced.

I don't think the T1 bomber is nearly useless. The main use of it is like a LAB, as described in the patch notes. I'd like to try that out. The big problem I noticed with my bombers is that I often didn't get them to drop on the first pass, despite the fact that I knew exactly where the engineer was going to be. I ordered it to stop when the radar coverage was over the expected location and then I waited for the blob to show up, give the order and the bomber would drop. It failed on me 50% of the time. Of course my opponent managed to do it EVERY SINGLE TIME (Does he have an omni sensor?)

I am very very happy with the T1 AA buff. It's annoying at best and downright cruel in every other case, to see your AA, which you built just to stop the early bomber, and then have the early bomber kill that AA and happily move on to an engineer. The AA will survive at least and with a bit of luck they will kill the bomber. The bomber will however more easily avoid it. I think this is a good idea.

Not sure if the changes will solve my problems or add them for everyone else, but the improved turn rate should at least reduce my problems of the bombing runs. It'll also deny hoverbombing, which I never managed but somehow seemed effortless to everyone else (the Ahwassa Hoverbombing is unfair no matter how you look at it). The bomber may become weaker but I'd rather have the bomber weaker and consistent instead of decent for one person, impossible for the second and brilliant for the third.

I also don't understand the HP changes. The idea of doing this in terms of faction diversity is nice and it is also the most direct. But personally think it is too crude. The factories have a need for survivability, as well as the economy buildings. They all have the same role and the same effect for every faction, so I'd say they need the same surivivability too.

You'd think that it wouldn't matter in the late game with a monkeylord crashing through and the laser scorching the factory in 4 or 5 seconds doesn't matter, but the main problem is actually the T1/T2 land armies. There the difference in HP does matter.

In the end, just one thing counts. This is a Beta and we have to play all the things to see how it works out. Happy testing :)
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 28 Jul 2016, 00:15

Sure, if you keep mass income the same and nerf energy income from RAS/ARAS (half it, for example) - it's a good change and I will like it.

T1 bomber needs its radar because it will hit nothing otherwise. It's not a lab but a tank.

My mod:
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Postby biass » 28 Jul 2016, 00:17

the t1 bomber is technically buffed and then buffed harder for better players

you should see less faildrop and more drops overall
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Nepty » 28 Jul 2016, 00:48

LichKing2033 wrote:T1 bomber needs its radar because it will hit nothing otherwise. It's not a lab but a tank.

Is it possible for a bomber and a air scout to fly in formation? Using both could help, I think.

Either way the bomber changes sounds great to me. Some players were way too good with early bombers. IE: 'TheUnpwnable' I remember a player with that name. He could hover-bomb in his sleep. He just WTF PWN anyone not prepared.
Original join Date: August 21, 2012 | Original FAF account: Cybrankiller | Highest skill rating: 1780
Favorite map: Vale of Isis | Favorite faction: UEF | Favorite opponent: Anaryl | Favorite pro: Chosen
Nepty

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 56 times
FAF User Name: Sapphire

Postby TheKoopa » 28 Jul 2016, 00:51

LichKing2033 wrote:Sure, if you keep mass income the same and nerf energy income from RAS/ARAS (half it, for example) - it's a good change and I will like it.

T1 bomber needs its radar because it will hit nothing otherwise. It's not a lab but a tank.

if only there was a cheap unit that you could build for superior intel

Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby NapSpan » 28 Jul 2016, 01:44

TheKoopa wrote:
LichKing2033 wrote:Sure, if you keep mass income the same and nerf energy income from RAS/ARAS (half it, for example) - it's a good change and I will like it.

if only there was a cheap unit that you could build for superior intel

It gives more job to do but its also beautiful, scout giving target to bombers, that is cool.
HP changes are good, now Cybrans have reasons to use more stealth because their eco buildings dye easily, their stealth bombers are not so OP because you need more to kill things in the first pass, UEF buildings hang on more damage than other faction buildings and that makes sense etc...
With bombers, they maybe look nerfed, but think it in this way, mAA is now better but is more expensive, you will see it less in the battlefield, manage to kill it and your bombers with their improved turn around speed will decimate enemy army (they will need air cover as ever...) and unprotected bases. We didnt use normaly T1 bombers against army (well, at least me) because they need to much babysitting to actually kill something or just to drop bombs, now they should work pretty well "alone" (mark some targets, hit split attack and enjoy) because they will drop more times.
We have "Continentals" so moving shit around must be important.
NapSpan

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: NapSpan

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 28 Jul 2016, 03:23

I might accept the bomber change but changing economy buildings' HP... is beyond bullshit. I love UEF, yes, but the last thing I want them to be is OP. I want them to be equal to other factions but not OP. Their T3 mex get's a buff, their T3 pgens is too strong, zefuq is dis? Structures do the same thing equally, let them have same HP. At least for economy and factories. Sure, nerf naval HQ but do not change other buildings because it breaks the game.

My mod:
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Postby Gorton » 28 Jul 2016, 03:52

How does it break the game?
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby Nepty » 28 Jul 2016, 04:10

More HP for UEF actually matches the canon information. Reinforced armor and such. No real fancy weapons, relying on bullets and explosive ordnance... UEF favors heavily armored units according to the Wikipedia. Heavily armored structures for a somewhat defensive faction only makes sense. Hopefully the FAF expert players state thier opinion on the subject. :)
Nepty

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 56 times
FAF User Name: Sapphire

Next

Return to Balance Discussion