T3 Artillery Range Topic is solved

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

T3 Artillery Range

Postby Hawkei » 11 Jul 2016, 01:10

Who was the genius who decided to arbitrarily change the T3 artillery ranges? It really sux.

Just finished a game where someone was building Aeon T3 Artillery. So I got one of my T3 engineers, placed the build marker over their artillery (As I was UEF) and then determined the correct location to build my Mavor so that it was outside the range of the Emissaries... Then as I started taking artillery fire I began to wonder where it could possibly be coming from. But low and behold it was the exact same firebase which I had previously ranged.

Only afterwards, when I selected an Aeon engineer and put the build icon over the emissaries do I realise that the T3 arty for each faction HAVE DIFFERENT RANGES!!!!!

How in the f*** am I suppose to correctly range enemy artillery when these aren't the same? Who was the genius who decided to arbitrarily change these statistics - and what possible balance could this achieve. Very annoyed about this. Sure 3599 wasn't perfect - but at least I knew how stuff worked.

So can someone please explain to me how I am supposed to range artillery when they don't have the same ranges?
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Re: T3 Artillery Range

Postby Sprouto » 11 Jul 2016, 01:45

As far as I recall, they've always been different.
Sprouto
Priest

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 74 times
FAF User Name: Sprouto

Postby Hawkei » 11 Jul 2016, 01:50

Well AI might need to check the old game, but I never thought they were. Still doesn't solve the initial problem. How do you correctly determine the range of something when your equivalent unit doesn't have that same range? T2 arty is the same, T2 PD is the same, TML's are the same. It just doesn't make any sense that T3 arty wouldn't.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy

Postby Blodir » 11 Jul 2016, 01:53

I also think that this is silly, this is not in any way or form interesting "faction diversity"

It's incredible how you are failing to post the thread on the right subforum after using the forums so much
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Sprouto » 11 Jul 2016, 01:54

They also have different fire rates, damage and AOE values.
Sprouto
Priest

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 74 times
FAF User Name: Sprouto

Postby vongratz » 11 Jul 2016, 01:58

All are originally identic in range = 90 in the last oficial patch 3599.Remember that this game have true balistics. I saw a third party three floor turret firing and only the third floor gun hit the target, behind a mountain.Fantastic to see it.So elevation counts.The T3 Artillery archives not apeeared in FAF, so no one change was made.
vongratz

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 11 Jul 2016, 02:07

not even say that this problem is also fixed in equilibrium...

And yes its retarded.

also what is retarded is hp distribution. Where some artilery alive 2 shot and some other 3 what is big difference in well shielded artilery war. And for this advantage is no real reason.
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby biass » 11 Jul 2016, 02:53

Hawkei wrote:
Only afterwards, when I selected an Aeon engineer and put the build icon over the emissaries do I realise that the T3 arty for each faction HAVE DIFFERENT RANGES!!!!!

now you know, no need to bitch just learning experience for next time
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Hawkei » 11 Jul 2016, 03:44

biass wrote:
Hawkei wrote:

now you know, no need to bitch just learning experience for next time
Well yea, you're right. It's just one more thing to remember. Ranging stuff is just an automatic aspect of my gameplay. I do it all the time. As soon as I see a TML or an Arty, I grab that same tech engineer, select the build option, and hold it over the enemy unit to see the range circle preview. Because knowing exactly what that structure is able to hit is often important... I do it so quickly in a game that I will often forget this knowledge that there are factional differences here.

It also makes it rather difficult to accurately assess such things in most games. As the only reason I was able to verify the range in the game mentioned was because I had received Aeon tech. This isn't going to be the case in every game. Such a thing is difficult to guess - and devastating if you guess wrong.

And sure there are some differences; but the difference in range between a Duke and an Emissary is so dramatic that it seems incomprehensible that two similar units would have such different capabilities. I accept that cost, DPS, RoF, AoE, and Accuracy are all valid aspects of factional diversity. But range is a critical attribute.

With the ranges being so incredibly different I would be expecting some more significant trade-offs. Yet the Duke and Emissary are nearly identical in cost. The Emissary has superior DPS, far superior range, is deadly accurate, and has a very strong alpha strike. All of which combined make it far superior in every respect. Where is the logic in this? 'Am I missing something here?
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Re: T3 Artillery Range  Topic is solved

Postby Wakke » 11 Jul 2016, 07:30

So what about hovering over enemy units draws their range ring?
Wakke

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 13 times

Next

Return to Balance Discussion