Aeon T3 Missile Ship Torrent

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Aeon T3 Missile Ship Torrent

Postby Um ZiniZini » 16 Jun 2016, 14:56

8000 mass same cost as as a battleship, countered by several T2 TMD, not capable of defending itself in a naval battle and the cost again of 8000 mass same as a battleship, the cost is worthy of repeating twice. So to the apparent pro's who might stumble upon this "blashpemy" or moderate truth in whatever sense voice ur answers. when and why is this ship used? I wish to point out again thrice it costs 8000 mass same as a battleship, thats stupid.

Edit: yeah I noticed the correction below, still the same feeling towards it, 8k mass or instead 1k mass extra for something that's far more reliable and useful.
Last edited by Um ZiniZini on 16 Jun 2016, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
Um ZiniZini

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: UmZiniZini

Re: Aeon T3 Missile Ship Torrent, who uses them and why?

Postby biass » 16 Jun 2016, 15:22

/thread
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Iszh » 16 Jun 2016, 15:27

he is right biass after torrent lost its splash of 100m it was useless. nuke subs have 250 range and can built nukes and are under water. why someone should get a torrent? the splash of this ship was never op it was just a good siege weapon. better add the splash again, that would make it a usable option. it was even able to fight other ships with limits of course. but therefore it has low hp for mass cost.

damage radius of this ship was much much bigger before faf. no idea when zep nerfed it, but in fact i changed faction from aeon to uef at exactly this time for this minor reason because i ve been so annoyed :P
Iszh
Evaluator

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 126 times
FAF User Name: Iszh

Postby biass » 16 Jun 2016, 15:38

Splash? its a MML boat son

It also fires 5 times the missiles (overwhelm tmd) and has more hp for less price?

It wont die to a single T3 torp bomber pass like a Silencer will?
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 16 Jun 2016, 16:14

Only reason to build torrent is that Aeon dont have cruiser with missile. Otherwise they are shit. Why they are shit you realize when compare torrent with cruiser.
Cruiser main role is being intel and AA ship, bomardment is secondary role.
Main and only role of torrent is bombard, dont have nothing else, so while is špecializácia only on this should be better as cruiser dont even talk cruiser is t2.

One torrent is 4cruiser with about 2000aa some direct fire and about 50% better bombard capacity. Uef cruiser is far best, seraphim still better as Aeon. Ony differences is 50more range, but thats not worth it.
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby Hawkei » 16 Jun 2016, 17:22

I feel like we have discussed this before. I also recall the previous thread on this topic going for many pages. I also recall Ithilus_Quo being the primary advocate in favour of the Torrent being Shit Argument. Okay, let us not enter into arguments as to whether or not the unit is more or less cost effective than other options. The question asked was, "who uses them and why?".

So let me answer this question directly. Yes I use Torrents. The reason I use them is because they are the only floating missile bombardment ship in the Aeon arsenal. There are two reasons, and two reasons only why I would build them.

1. As a build power, unit, or eco sniping option.
2. As a force projection tool once I have secured the sea and need to bombard further inland.

I do this because of the vessels two primary strengths. It can accurately deliver dps, and when microed properly can produce devastating attacks against undefended targets. It has the longest reach of any naval bombardment ship. It can deliver pin-point accurate fire anywhere within a huge radius of control.

Now, the thing you need to understand about missile attack micro is that ships waste a lot of shots shooting at dead targets. You solve this problem by changing targets during the volley and sending only the required number of missiles to kill each target. Properly executed you can send those 10 missiles to 5 different targets. Basically meaning that you can entirely strip a T3 factory of all it's assisting engineers in 1 volley. You can also switch targets to shoot mexes. Sending 2 missiles to a T1 mex, and 5 missiles to T2. It is quite easy, for example, to kill off the Island on Setons or Roanoke from stand off range. The other huge advantage you have here is that the missiles take a long time to reach their target. So you can move into range, launch the volley, and be sailing back to safer waters before your opponent even knows that their eco is under attack. For this task I will make a single Torrent and then go back to making Battleships.

In the end game I only make them once I've won navy and defeated coastal defences. In this stage I will change my fleet composition to Cruisers, Aircraft Carriers, and Missile Ships. Which gives me extra reach, and the ability to spam strike aircraft on his doorstep. If the opponent stops this with shields and TMD. You use the carriers to release huge swarms of T1 bombers, or Restoreres.

TL;DR

I use them in small numbers to complement my other naval units. Because, it is one more thing my opponent needs to worry about. It is never my primary force component, and there is never a time when I will base my strategy around this one type of ship. I use it to punish opponents who don't build TMD. I force the counter. Then I laugh when I see shields and TMD popping up everywhere. :lol:
Last edited by Hawkei on 16 Jun 2016, 17:38, edited 2 times in total.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby TheKoopa » 16 Jun 2016, 17:33

Torrents are hands down the best land assault ship in the game

countered by several T2 TMD,

This is just simply untrue. The main point of torrents is that you require 666 tmd to defend just 1, and that point you can have like 5.

not capable of defending itself

Ofc not, it's a missle ship, you know, for launching missles. Why should it be able to kill anything on the sea or in the air?

Ithilis_Quo wrote:Only reason to build torrent is that Aeon dont have cruiser with missile. Otherwise they are shit. Why they are shit you realize when compare torrent with cruiser.
Cruiser main role is being intel and AA ship, bomardment is secondary role.
Main and only role of torrent is bombard, dont have nothing else, so while is špecializácia only on this should be better as cruiser dont even talk cruiser is t2.

One torrent is 4cruiser with about 2000aa some direct fire and about 50% better bombard capacity. Uef cruiser is far best, seraphim still better as Aeon. Ony differences is 50more range, but thats not worth it.

This is the t1 vs t3 land arguement, it's completely irrelevant. You will literally never have the build capacity necissary to get the numbers to be more effective than a torrent.
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 16 Jun 2016, 17:58

Morax but look torrent fire i think 5missile x2
Each have 2hp. For same price you have 4uef cruiser that fire 4missile x2hp x 4cruiser. What mean cruiser have 32missile while Aeon 20. For same price of unit. When we look only on bomardment efectivnes cruiser is much better.

About build time yes torrent have retarded low build time, thats true and should be fixed. But even with this im absolutely sure that is much easier and faster get 4 cruiser as single T3 torrent, because you dont need invest 4.5k mass and about 3minute to upgrade faktory.

They are jast shit, and still are build cos are only Aeon option (tempest is better but expensive).
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby Morax » 16 Jun 2016, 18:07

They have one of the coolest rocket launch sounds in the game, second only to the Viper.

It is therefore good unit.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Um ZiniZini » 16 Jun 2016, 18:15

Ithilis_Quo wrote:Morax but look torrent fire i think 5missile x2
Each have 2hp. For same price you have 4uef cruiser that fire 4missile x2hp x 4cruiser. What mean cruiser have 32missile while Aeon 20. For same price of unit. When we look only on bomardment efectivnes cruiser is much better.

About build time yes torrent have retarded low build time, thats true and should be fixed. But even with this im absolutely sure that is much easier and faster get 4 cruiser as single T3 torrent, because you dont need invest 4.5k mass and about 3minute to upgrade faktory.

They are jast shit, and still are build cos are only Aeon option (tempest is better but expensive).

Amen To this! you need T3 more expensive factory and the unit itself is ridiculously expensive, takes long to build, has no aa as compared to 4 cruisers instead, still keeps shooting wasting missiles after unit has died 10 seconds ago and is not very useful in naval battle, cruisers atleast have aa defeding vs T2 torpedo bomers or corsairs, this thing is just way to expensive and available late in the game.
Um ZiniZini

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: UmZiniZini

Next

Return to Balance Discussion