Game Knowledge Test Before Becoming a Balance Team/Tester

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Game Knowledge Test Before Becoming a Balance Team/Tester

Postby Morax » 08 Jun 2016, 17:25

Guys, I'm reading some concerns/suggestions that indicate a lot of people who have not learned a decent amount of the game are commenting here. In the past, I have had to teach people that navy yards shouldn't have tmd because you can build tmd/aa structures on water. Believe it or not, a lot of players don't know this.

The result is that a lot of them see "imbalances" where in actuality it is a lack of game knowledge.

I'd like to propose on top of balance discussions that we make a test where, for example, people need to get at least 90% or better to show they know the unit types, capabilities, strategic commands (e.g. switch unit type), etc, etc.

I know it sounds harsh, but we have a "tactics/strategy" sub-forum in the help section for people that have concerns.

The goal is to create a list of people with adequate game knowledge to cut down the "fluff" that enters these discussions.

In my short two weeks here trying to digest all the information I feel I could put "TL;DR" for many of the topics, e.g. the Cybran Cerberus turret, FAF Imbalances (by LichKing), etc, etc.

I don't like the idea of cutting off discussion from "all skill levels," but it's probably necessary at this point.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Re: Game Knowledge Test Before Becoming a Balance Team/Teste

Postby PhilipJFry » 08 Jun 2016, 18:56

Why not just put global/ladder rating next to playernames in the forum?
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Hawkei » 09 Jun 2016, 03:27

PhilipJFry wrote:Why not just put global/ladder rating next to playernames in the forum?

Because, global and ladder ratings are more reliant on execution than game knowledge. It is possible for a player to have very good game knowledge - and yet have poor reactions, APM, bad habits, or execution failings which impact on their rating. Conversely, a player can have very good execution, but be limited to a narrow range of gameplay experiences.

There is no test which can conclusively determine whether a player will be a good balance tester. Which is why admission is based on appointment by the team leader.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Sovietpride » 10 Jun 2016, 12:18

Hawkei wrote:
PhilipJFry wrote:Why not just put global/ladder rating next to playernames in the forum?

Because, global and ladder ratings are more reliant on execution than game knowledge. It is possible for a player to have very good game knowledge - and yet have poor reactions, APM, bad habits, or execution failings which impact on their rating. Conversely, a player can have very good execution, but be limited to a narrow range of gameplay experiences.

There is no test which can conclusively determine whether a player will be a good balance tester. Which is why admission is based on appointment by the team leader.

To an extent.
I don't doubt that people of lesser rating can have valid opinions.

But it's also damn tiring to see people complain about balance when actually, they just suck.
Top level ladder being cybran dominated is one thing.

Not being able to get there because of cybran OPness?
Laughable. 1800 through UEF only before I stopped.

It's too easy to blame the game instead of yourself
Sovietpride

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: Sovietpride

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 11 Jun 2016, 04:45

Violence, the imbalances I pointed out are too bad or what?

Also, why not remove the really poor suggestions (e.g. The Cerberus, my SML/SMD thing + Quantum Gate (they are for sure not the greatest ones))? That should clean Balance forum and Suggestions up.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby Apofenas » 11 Jun 2016, 13:33

You can farm 1800 on winter duel and know nothing exept gun-com+arty rush.

You can be 900-1400 and write a good balance suggestion or unit concept and actually put it in mod.

Game knowledge=/=rating.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 11 Jun 2016, 15:56

very ussles post, only reason for this post was kick to others that dont have magical 1400 rating as author...

rating isnt relevant on game knowledge and potential usefull suggestion. End of story.
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby Morax » 11 Jun 2016, 21:41

Hi guys,

Where in my post did I say "rating" 8-)

You pretty much assumed I did by reading replies - nice work!

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Postby briang » 12 Jun 2016, 01:30

There are people with low rating who display obvious game knowledge and there are also people who make all low rated players look like idiots.

Morax is a clear example of someone in a low-mid range bracket who clearly knows what they're talking about as far as land is concerned. I'd point to Exotic_Retard as another example.

There are also people who are rated 1600 who can say they are going to go eco heavy on a Seton's naval spot and still have all t2 mex at minute 20 (that should happen in under half that time if you're really ecoing).

Rating is beside the point. There are muppets in every range up to about 1700+ who don't actually understand the first thing about why they play the way they play or why it is efficient to do X etc.

Clearly it isn't all about rating, this sounds like a fantastic idea.

Lichking if you were rated higher than Gala (most of) your posts would still make no sense. The number is mostly meaningless.
Ninrai 2015- briang is usually an aggressive d****e
briang
Spammer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: YouLikeThat

Postby Morax » 13 Jun 2016, 19:14

Guys, I didn't ask that a rating be tagged onto peoples' names.... let's focus, please.

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Next

Return to Balance Discussion