Useless weapons attached to units

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Useless weapons attached to units

Postby biass » 23 Jun 2016, 13:48

Many current balance issues are already fixed in the balance testing alpha, you wouldn't know, because you make shit jokes instead of contributing ^.^

for the soulripper, i mean i guess its kinda lmao but if you made sr one would assume you would have air so there is not pack of restos flying around
give vid anyways, 30fps minimum ffs
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Mot » 23 Jun 2016, 14:40

Low attack torpedos can trigger torpedo defense, more torps in the water means more dealing damage can get through.
In that way the added low dps torps to varius units are quite neat.
Also VISUALS, cosmetic weapon firing patterns just add to the game.
Mot

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: MayorDamage

Postby Hawkei » 23 Jun 2016, 15:30

Well there is something to be said for Broadswords and other such units plinking away in the face of near certain destruction. IMO this speaks to the nature of the unit. I should also add that even small ammounts of damage can yield results in a pinch. Yes they are cosmetic features... But, in a video game, what isn't?
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Zock » 23 Jun 2016, 15:54

Quick history lesson: All token weapons were quite good in vanilla, but gpg reduced them to what they are now when they made FA. You can assume that they didn't do that out of boredom.
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby TheKoopa » 23 Jun 2016, 16:00

Zock wrote:Quick history lesson: All token weapons were quite good in vanilla, but gpg reduced them to what they are now when they made FA. You can assume that they didn't do that out of boredom.

Brings me back memories of the old broadsword
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby NapSpan » 23 Jun 2016, 16:07

Zock wrote:Quick history lesson: All token weapons were quite good in vanilla, but gpg reduced them to what they are now when they made FA. You can assume that they didn't do that out of boredom.

well...Chicken AA did no damage in Vanilla, it was like it wasnt there (jaja...you take it?...wasnt there...jaja)
We have "Continentals" so moving shit around must be important.
NapSpan

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: NapSpan

Postby Apofenas » 23 Jun 2016, 17:52

There are a lot of unused weapons in this game which you may not even know to exist. Like AA on UEF and cybran strats, Transport AA, Megalith AA. There are a lot of ways to make these weapons perform better than just being cosmetic. It was done in IceDreamer's balance research a year ago and if i'm not mistaken Ithilis did that too in his mod.

Here's the list of cosmetic weapons:
Spoiler: show
-AA for all t2 transports
-Cyb/UEF t3 gunship
-Cyb/UEF t3 strat
-Soul ripper AA
-CZAR torps

-Skyslammer ground-ground mode
-Wagner torpedoes
-Monkeylord AA and torps
-Mega AA
-Fatty AA, torps
-Ythotha AA

-UEF destroyer AA
-UEF/Cybran/Sera battleship AA
-Neptune torps
-Galaxy torps

And weapons that have somewhat good stats but rarely used:
-T1 sub direct fire
-Corsair AA
-Siren ground-ground
-Nuke sub tac missile
-Aeon/UEF cruiser direct fire
-Fatboy melee

-You could also add t2 and t3 transport air-ground weapons, but those serve well so you can order labs to shoot specific target
-May add t2/ transport crash damage too when t1 transports have 100 dmg, t2 and t3 have 25...

My suggestion:
-T2 transport could use around 60 DPS so it can fight back some lonely interceptors.
-Waler and broadsword could use around 50-60 DPS and higher muzzle and life time for Waler
-UEF/Cyb Strats 50 DPS with 30 range
-Soul ripper AA should have 600 DPS(from 240) with 400(from 150)x4 missiles damage every 2.5 sec so it can't kill a full HP ASF for signle firing circle and has to waste 30-40 % of its total DPS to finish damaged ASF.
-Czar - 2 depth charges 1750 damage each every 10 seconds. Means it can kill a cruiser from range every 10 seconds.

-Remove firing randomness from Skyslammer
-Wagner - single torp every 10 seconds with 120 damage(12 DPS) and 22 range. 10 sec reload means torp def will counter it
-Spider bot AA and torps - 2 projectiles 800 damage each every 4 sec. It would have to waste ~45% dps to kill full HP gunship and ~30% to kill ASF by itself;
-Ythota - buff AOE to 4, reduce DPS to 300
-Fatboy - increace AA DPS to 456(from 114 dps; 20 damage->80); torps 45 damage X 2 torps every 0.3 seconds 300 DPS total with ability to overload torp defence.

-Valiant AA - 28.6 DPS(reduce reload from 1.4 to 0.7)
-Neptune - 150(from 50) damage X 4 torps every 10 seconds. Same torps as Valiant, just twice more which is even less efficient than Valiant but not as hopeless as 20 dps and it's not a goal of this unit.
-Galaxy - copy Salem torps on it
-Battleship AA:
--Galaxy - 320 DPS(make its 2 auto cannons have similiar stats as those 4 on aircraft carrier)
--Summit - 460 DPS(basicly copy fatboy weapon, but double reload from 0.7 to 1.4)
--Hauthuum - put simple t2 flak on it.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby NapSpan » 23 Jun 2016, 18:33

T2 transport AA can take down 1 or 2 inties, and AA from Strat bomber can take down all inties behind as long as it flight more less straight, Soul Reaper doesnt have bad AA, etc etc...
We have "Continentals" so moving shit around must be important.
NapSpan

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: NapSpan

Postby Exotic_Retard » 23 Jun 2016, 18:34

nice ideas apofenas,
about a year ago now i helped release a balance mod (ahahaha not eq for once) where these were changed. heres some thoughts as a result of testing that mod, and then way more testing in eq.

i went through your list:
-t2 trans has way too much hp. if you give it appreciable dps then it becomes a pretty good replacement for gunships/inties depending on if youre talking about aa/ground dps. on top of that they are as fast as an intie and can carry units.
-t3 gunshits have 6000hp. asf have 1750 and 400dps. if you want t3 gunships to be stopped by a small ammount of air then they need to have absurdly weak aa. like they do now. tripling dps on them is gonna mess with your head about what counters what.
-strats, exactly the same thing, except on a lesser scale, overall i wouldnt mind too much but i still think its not a great idea.
-SR - fixed in equilibrium
-CZAR - fixed in equilibrium

-skyslammer - fixed in equilibrium
-wagner - fixed in equilibrium
- ML - sounds ok, but again it would mean that you just cant use small amounts of t2 gunships to help out in killing it, (cos they just die and give vet), still nice idea about the firing pattern
-ythotha - cool but instead it would make more sense to increase muzzle velocity to 60 and reduce dps. makes it more consistent, rather than sometimes 0 and sometimes 09384290820348 dps.
-fatboy - fixed in equilibrium

-valiant - sure, sounds cool, will need to make sure its not too similar to cyb navy.
-neptune - weel sure if you wanted to but its kinda same issue as with the t3 gunship/strat
-galaxy - nope. it becomes better destroyer than the destroyer. it has 47khp. thats 7.76 times more hp for only 3.6 times the price.
-BS AA:
--galaxy too much, again because of absurd hp on it (no point in getting cruiser/carrier then). in equilibirum it gets 60->120 dps
--summit - same reason, but now with added uef navy. in equilibirum it gets 56->80 dps
--same as chicken - put muzzle velocity to sth so its not goddamn 20. in equilibirum it gets 28->50 dps

tldr: so bscly in supcom you expect x to counter y. thats cool and all but if x only counters y a little, then its pretty easy to lose with a unit thats supposed to counter your opponent if you get the wrong numbers/micro/ect. thats the point where you say shit balance and complain on forums, and so on. so usually its safer to make sure that units are more specialized, or that you really do know that they are against everything.

as long as you expect to lose sometimes vs the thing you want to counter thats ok, but even now people are complaining about cyb frigs and whatnot. this is because of this behavior.
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby Apofenas » 24 Jun 2016, 08:07

NapSpan wrote:T2 transport AA can take down 1 or 2 inties, and AA from Strat bomber can take down all inties behind as long as it flight more less straight, Soul Reaper doesnt have bad AA, etc etc...

Super playes since GPG and during last 2-3 years he rushed strats every time he played air. He was very surprised to hear those have AA...

Even 50 DPS is not a big buff for them since UEF strat has 45 DPS already. I would make it like 100 DPS so they could fight back t1 and t2 air units somewhat effectively, but there is no conditions to do so.In BalanceResearch mod where strats were slower than t1 inties so cloud of inties would catch strat no problem and rape it. And there won't really be a bigger usage for this weapon apart from strat rush before your opponent got ASF which wouldn't bother about strat AA.

Exotic_Retard wrote:-t2 trans has way too much hp. if you give it appreciable dps then it becomes a pretty good replacement for gunships/inties depending on if youre talking about aa/ground dps. on top of that they are as fast as an intie and can carry units.

T2 transport won't become better option than interceptors or gunships. With 86 dps in BalanceResearch i managed to get 5 star transport once but only because of veterancy and inties flying one by one. WIth 50 it won't be a big issue. Also this could buff such underused unit combination as Getto gunship.
- ML - sounds ok, but again it would mean that you just cant use small amounts of t2 gunships to help out in killing it, (cos they just die and give vet), still nice idea about the firing pattern

If small amount of gunships is able to do something reasonable, than it's ML user mistake for not having a single flak with his experimental. ML firing pattern would mean that any unit with AA behind ML can grab a free kill.
-valiant - sure, sounds cool, will need to make sure its not too similar to cyb navy.
Not like it would be a problem if Valiant had stronger AA than current Salems and that's not a big buff at all.
-galaxy - nope. it becomes better destroyer than the destroyer. it has 47khp. thats 7.76 times more hp for only 3.6 times the price.
It doesn't become a better destroyer for very simple reason - torp defence. Salem torp def allows it to avoid a lot of damage so it would have better survivability against torps. 4 Salems have 8 torp valley; 1 galaxy has 2 torp valley; 8 torps overwhelm torp defence better than 2 and thats the reason 8 t2 subs would kill such Galaxy and wouldn't kill 4 Salems.
-BS AA:
--galaxy too much, again because of absurd hp on it (no point in getting cruiser/carrier then). in equilibirum it gets 60->120 dps
--summit - same reason, but now with added uef navy. in equilibirum it gets 56->80 dps

Even so that's less DPS per mass than cybran frigates have. That's not a lot of DPS by the t3 stage and would matter against <t3 units, but t2 bombers are used for suicidal passes most of the time any way. You also don't take range into account. Their 45 AA range combined with size won't allow them to cover each other or protect other ships well. AA units with 75/100 range, radar and vision will do it better.
In BalanceResearch i had 8 Galaxies firing CZAR. CZAR killed them all with recieving veterancies.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion