Submarine Balance

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Submarine Balance

Postby Hawkei » 15 Jun 2016, 19:26

mirroredwang wrote:we can also nerf underwater vision which is something different from normal vision

If you read the change notes for the mod that's exactly what I did. I gave underwater vision to Submarines, Destroyers, Frigates, and Sonar Platforms. I took vision off most other surface vessels. So this now means that submarines can attack those ships without even being detected.

The original intent was for submarines (with the exception of the barracuda) to have sonar stealth (but not radar stealth) and only when not moving. However, I was unable to implement this in the mod, because, it requires coding skills beyond my current knowledge. I tried copying the Selen code but couldn't get it to work. The sonar stealth is particularly important for Strat. Missile Subs. Because the non-Cybran ones are far too easily eliminated.

The other major change was to switch the sonar ranges between Destroyers and Cruisers - as this better suits their roles. The Cruiser is supposed to be an AA vessel, and naturally be vulnerable to submarines. It doesn't make sense that it would have good sonar capabilities. The Destroyer however, is an ASW vessel. So I gave it better sonar and underwater vision.

The essential change in balance means that against most surface targets, the Submarines can attack without being detected. But, against units designed to hunt them down they still lose. It accentuates the scissor-paper-rock dynamic and integrates submarines into the naval balance as a viable force element.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Previous

Return to Balance Discussion