Paragon cost need to be adjusted

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Paragon cost need to be adjusted

Postby Apofenas » 10 Feb 2016, 10:48

briang wrote:Wow FFA with gentleman's agreement no rush? If you take 5 minutes to build your first arty after the para you are awful. You are still assuming equal eco and sane start times which doesn't make any sense. Not to mention that you can defend a finishing Para from a mavor without much effort.

There are no "no rush" and "no attack" agreements when someone starts game ender when people play serious. If that player is close, you team up with somebody and attack, if he is far away - start game ender race. I had a game ender fight on Ocean Fortress when i managed to build Mavor while team with Yolona tryed to kill team with Paragon. I made Mavor and killed about 5 Paragons and a couple Rapid fire artileries so that team lost.
Spoiler: show
huge SCU eco won me eventually since no infrastructure needed

I saw people defending from Yolona, scathis, Salvation. Never from Mavor. I count it not possible untill you prove othewise.
In theory(asuming you use only aeon tech) you could trash sky above para with air units and put a huge assist on shields. If that worked, i'd just kill anti nukes and still kill para.

If you can find me 10 ladder games with game enders in the last 2 months you can say Seton's is irrelevant. In reality it is the only map that really is relevant.

Irrelevant argument. There is no real opportunities to build game ender in ladder for a lot of reasons: too little big maps (and those big maps are comparitevly small), map meta that somewhat promotes being agressive, 99% people playing cybran, ect. I Sure if you compare Ladder and Thermo, there will be more game enders on thermo. I doubt i could find a ladder game even with heavy T3 arty.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby Yudi » 10 Feb 2016, 11:37

I've seen a lot of games where people defend against mavors, but too lazy to find replays.
Flynn:
"Hey guys, tired of playing the outdated last patch of the game? "

Zahr:
Hell no. Steam's version is a lot better balanced than your garbage.
Yudi

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Yudi

Postby theeggroll » 10 Feb 2016, 18:33

Apofenas wrote:I doubt i could find a ladder game even with heavy T3 arty.

Challenge accepted for next time I play ladder
GMT - 6 http://spooky.github.io/unitdb/#/
When in doubt, Blame Gorton
theeggroll
Priest

Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 98 times
FAF User Name: theeggroll

Postby briang » 10 Feb 2016, 19:26

Pascal and I tested shield assist vs. Mavor extensively. It doesn't take as much build power as you might imagine. Woth as much as you should have when your para is nearing completion it is totally feasible.
Ninrai 2015- briang is usually an aggressive d****e
briang
Spammer

Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: YouLikeThat

Postby Blodir » 10 Feb 2016, 19:33

Theres that t3 arty war on serenity between me and zock that i posted on replays for casting thread :)
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Saxxon » 28 Feb 2016, 09:34

Para is a big advantage IF enemy is not alert enough or strong enough to attack it. If they are, you wasted a lot of resources.

I recall a game on Gap where the enemy built Paragons, first his main one and started 2 more for his two remaining allies. Meanwhile, I had 2 Heavy Arty built and was hitting their bases (thus also why they were down an ally). I let him complete that Paragon, two of the players had their ACUs nearby from building it, and thought they could build enough shields to protect it

They were wrong, when it blew it took both of them out. Para is as OP as a Yolana Oss - if you let them build it, you are probably toast. Given the resource draw, you should be able to counter and destroy it during construction with equivalent attack units in mass/energy, and best blow it up right after completion taking out whatever built it as well (very often an ACU).

Personally as Aeon in PvP games I've never built one. I would go for a Salvation first, only a few times have I completed one and won compared to the times it either got destroyed during construction, or the enemy had enough attack strength to destroy it that cost less (crash a couple Czars on it). Sure, I got the mass, but at that point I had invested much or my attack in the one super arty, he had way more T3 units and a couple of Czar & GC leftover. Gameover.
Saxxon

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Saxxon

Postby briang » 29 Feb 2016, 17:00

"Personally as Aeon in PvP games I've never built one. I would go for a Salvation first, only a few times have I completed one and won compared to the times it either got destroyed during construction, or the enemy had enough attack strength to destroy it that cost less (crash a couple Czars on it). Sure, I got the mass, but at that point I had invested much or my attack in the one super arty, he had way more T3 units and a couple of Czar & GC leftover. Gameover."

There are too many problems with this to point out... but I'll start by asking you why would you build a 225k mass arty unit that can be tanked by assisted shields when you could spend another 25k mass and be able to build infinite amounts of anything you want?

Paragon is BY FAR the best game-ender. The Yolo is decent for the cost but the Mavor is significantly better. W/ a Mavor on the field the enemy must select choice structures to defend w/ shield assist; contrarily to the Yolo which can be defended over an entire area with ~6-8 anti-nukes.

Paragons on Gap are a questionable choice compared to other maps because of the low transit times for experimental(s) from your enemy, but that can be said for any game ender (which is why you rarely see anything more expensive than a Scathis or T3 static arty there). The fact that you built your arties merely expresses the basic principles of countering a game ender: not sitting around while your opponents build it.

The larger the map, the more complex countering it becomes. But depending on how you synced your fire, and if your opponents had proper amounts of build power (I'd bet money they didn't), they likely could have defended their Paragon from your arties while they spammed GCs and Salvations and all sorts of nasty things. I'd suggest that on Gap your best choice for countering would be expirimentals upwards of 90% of the time...

The classic argument is that you ought to always be able to counter a Paragon given equal circumstances, but in practice there are never truly equal circumstances, and that isn't necessarily true to begin with. If you sit 2 people across the map from each other with 1000 mass income and 20 SCU and one builds a Paragon and spams build power and the other builds a Mavor, which wins?

The player building the paragon wins because he can defend his finishing Paragon from a completed Mavor, and with the correct amounts of build power in the right positions you are able to defend other vital structures as well. It has been done before, and it will continue to be done.
Last edited by briang on 07 Apr 2016, 03:28, edited 1 time in total.
briang
Spammer

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 18 Mar 2016, 21:43

Gonna necro this topic for a moment (thread is only 1 month old so relax)

briang wrote:The classic argument is that you ought to always be able to counter a Paragon given equal circumstances, but in practice there are never truly equal circumstances, and that isn't necessarily true to begin with. If you sit 2 people across the map from each other with 1000 mass income and 20 SCU and one builds a Paragon and spams build power and the other builds a Mavor, which wins?

The player building the paragon wins because he can defend his finishing Paragon from a completed Mavor, and with the correct amounts of build power in the right positions you are able to defend other vital structures as well. It has been done before, and it will continue to be done.

So... maybe it's the right time to lower the cost of Mavor to 200k mass or increase its DPS to Vanilla standards? So it can win against Paragon? It's kind of illogical that a non-military unit wins over military unit, is it not?

theeggroll wrote:
Apofenas wrote:I doubt i could find a ladder game even with heavy T3 arty.

Challenge accepted for next time I play ladder

Well good luck, theeggroll. Do you want me to start digging a grave for you on Open Palms?
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby briang » 18 Mar 2016, 21:57

Lowering the cost of other game enders is out of the question and so is buffing the Mavor. Of course Paragon is the best it is (near) INFINITE resources.
briang
Spammer

Postby Vanguard » 05 Apr 2016, 14:22

LichKing2033 wrote:Gonna necro this topic for a moment (thread is only 1 month old so relax)
So... maybe it's the right time to lower the cost of Mavor to 200k mass or increase its DPS to Vanilla standards? So it can win against Paragon? It's kind of illogical that a non-military unit wins over military unit, is it not?

What exactly screams "Civilian building as in every home owner has one in its basement! Hey, it´s free energy for your heating!" about this absolutely confidential, classified EXPERIMENTAL optimizied-for-producing-a-boatload-of-killingpower mass reactor that terminates itself at it´s end-of-life in a city eradicating nuclear explosion? Would you rather sayit´s a brick-and-mortars DIY warehouse?

Mind: blown. :shock: :? :shock:

Edit, to clarify: It´s called game ender for a good reason. Is it better than the mavor? Is it worse than the mavor? Any game ender is extremly powerful and needs to be nullified immediately. I really do not see a balancing issue here.
Vanguard

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Vanguard

Previous

Return to Balance Discussion