Othuum low-cannon fix.

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Othuum low-cannon fix.

Postby d-_-b » 11 Jan 2016, 21:03

I've mentioned this to a few people, but never get so much of an acknowledgement or reply about it so i put it here.

seriously easy fix for othuum's terrain issues would be simply to put the low high-dps cannons onto LOW-ARC firing, rather than direct fire.

sure they would still hit the ground sometimes, but they should be able to shoot over at least minor bumps now. this is similar to how most uef weapons work like pillars/triads/fatboy, etc...

no need to shift dps from rapid fire cannon onto the slow cannon, or change ranges, or raise the tank model (although that would help a bit too)

that a weapon so low to the ground is on direct fire is stupid, i'm sure it is like that simply because almost all sera weapons are direct fire and they were keeping with the theme... but everybody knows how crippling this is. Shifting dps to the slow-firing, long-range cannon which seems to be the popular suggestion has its own balancing issues to take into account like overkill, increased range on high dps, and low cannons still hitting the ground.
d-_-b

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 20 times
FAF User Name: d-_-b

Re: Othuum low-cannon fix.

Postby Korbah » 11 Jan 2016, 22:42

Download seraphim leverage mod.

Much of othuum's issues are improved with low arc main gun and model tweaks to address the bolters. Low arc on the bolters is possible but may not be needed
Korbah

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Korbah

Postby d-_-b » 12 Jan 2016, 00:15

great that youve implemented it in a mod, can show for sure that the fix would work.
however, this should be used as the fix in the main game.

low arc should be put on the bolters especially since they are closer to the ground... the higher the weapon is the less it matters
d-_-b

Postby keyser » 12 Jan 2016, 11:06

- Slight increase of unit size(not hitbox) of T3 sniper bots, Othuum and Rhino to alleviate their weapon's ground-hitting ability

from changelog of the next patch 3652
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Korbah » 12 Jan 2016, 13:45

I haven't tried the Rhino

However, my experience with both the othuum and t3 sniper is that unit size changes alone are insufficient to mitigate the problem. My working solutions are available for all to test in seraphim leverage v3 mod in the vault
Korbah

Postby Sovietpride » 12 Jan 2016, 13:46

Where can we see this log :x
Sovietpride

Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: Sovietpride

Postby d-_-b » 12 Jan 2016, 18:22

keyser wrote:
- Slight increase of unit size(not hitbox) of T3 sniper bots, Othuum and Rhino to alleviate their weapon's ground-hitting ability

from changelog of the next patch 3652

does it fix its issues most of the time?

i like how nobody has addressed changing the arc of the bolter.

you can make the othuum as big as you want, but if the bolter is still on direct fire it will hit hills.
d-_-b

Postby Korbah » 14 Jan 2016, 09:45

Correct. The bolters will still hit dirt some of the time. Just like Sera destroyers, rhino, snipers.

The question is whether you remove direct fire or not as it does change the unit's feel and removes a drawback that may be a part of the theme and balance of the unit.

In my othuum changes I've adjusted the unit height as much as possible and changed the character of the main cannon to differentiate it from the bolters. This makes it much more intuitive visually when the bolters are dirt hitting than currently where the main cannon can obscure this.

Go try it and tell me whether you think low arc bolters are still needed. I'd suggest that my current implementation works nicely and keeps terrain awareness as a key consideration to using the unit and being more intuitive for new players to discover this
Korbah

Postby theeggroll » 11 Feb 2016, 15:10

Fixed in equilibrium
GMT - 6 http://spooky.github.io/unitdb/#/
When in doubt, Blame Gorton
theeggroll
Priest

Has liked: 228 times