Seraphim Leverage - better gameplay & character for Seraphim

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Seraphim Leverage - better gameplay & character for Sera

Postby Korbah » 09 Dec 2015, 05:45

I still play, just not with the consistency required to ladder up aggressively. More importantly I'm fatigued when I do get an opportunity to play which impairs my performance.

I'd happily join a gameplay development team, I wasn't aware I was invited and didn't presume I was welcome.

As such I have been working on small tight mods addressing issues that interest me (air and seraphim).

When considering what I've put together here with Yeager I'd say that I have made inroads in achieving my primary goals:
1. More racial character
2. More gameplay options
3. No added units - drag N drop into stock faf
Korbah

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Korbah

Postby briang » 09 Dec 2015, 16:23

I mean the client development team. I think they are very open and looking for help.
Ninrai 2015- briang is usually an aggressive d****e
briang
Spammer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: YouLikeThat

Postby Korbah » 09 Dec 2015, 17:44

I have no interest or ability to improve the faf client.

I'm purely interested in gameplay.

Let's move back onto the thread topic
Korbah

Postby Sheeo » 09 Dec 2015, 19:29

Korbah wrote:I'd happily join a gameplay development team, I wasn't aware I was invited and didn't presume I was welcome.

You can start contributing right now https://github.com/FAForever/fa, without prior permission or communication.
Support FAF on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/faf?ty=h

Peek at our continued development on github: https://github.com/FAForever
Sheeo
Councillor - Administrative

Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 233 times
FAF User Name: Sheeo

Postby KD7BCH » 10 Dec 2015, 08:51

briang wrote:
yeager wrote:it absolutely stomps most people cause they arent prepared and if my enemy went t2 navy i still do ok

As for the overall idea of a T2.5 gunship for Seraphim I don't think it really has a place. Honestly they would be better off just getting a T3 gunship, there isn't a reason for them not to have one (I know you are trying to avoid this). Im in agreement. No T3 gunship is going to see competition from this mod. By the time ASFs show up a 2.5 gunship is just a mass liability in the air anyway. Double the cost but half the speed of Notha is also a loser, better to go T3 air then even f*** around T2.

I don't much agree with T2.5 units as a whole, and I don't really think the Ilshavoh is one. At least it isn't anymore.

The T3 scout idea is fine and honestly has been a long time coming.

Amphibious Sniper Bots? This doesn't fix them. They need to be more useful on land, they and the shields are the key to Seraphim's success against other factions. Why make this change at all? So what if they can hover on water. They are too weak hp wise and this does nothing to fix their fragility.

You also should not touch navy period unless you are going to try and re-balance it as a whole; I am also unsure you have any sort of meaningful experience playing with navy. (I know you said you wouldn't touch it yet)

As usual I would like to advocate playing and improving to a 1500 level. When I look at these posts, I see someone who wants to do something and has the means but does not necessarily have the experience or somebody with him who does have it. If you wanted to do something with navy I'd be happy to help.
The Gun Down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPmuSnJiV0o
KD7BCH
Priest

Has liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: KD7BCH

Postby Korbah » 10 Dec 2015, 13:43

Both good points KD7BCH

1. Gunship:

Clearly t2 sera air is bland bland bland bland bland. The gunship is the natural choice to do something interesting (if you're asked to pick one of the bland units to tweak) because there's no t3 gunship.

The T2.5 gunship does have some interesting features - flak AoE is less of an issue because you're likely to have fewer gunships and they survive longer. I've also front-loaded their dmg somewhat with the modification to their dmg. This changes the character of the unit fairly dramatically to be fairly distinctive.

As for ASF - absolutely. However, this mod is fully compatible with Air Leverage which definitely addresses your complaint head on.

2. Sniper

So there's 2 changes to snipers that are aimed at increasing their utility:

A) Higher hover height - so slightly fewer dirt shots. Unfortunately they still occur fairly readily. Adjusting the firing arc to a low trajectory doesn't work due to the muzzle velocity causing the shot to never arc and just fly straight. This is not fixable without completely redoing how the unit fires eg. changing to a slower firing homing missile style shot. Hover height is therefore the best change in a compromised situation.

B) Hover does dramatically increase their harass ability and utility on any map with water. It also improves their survivability directly vs land units.....they can kite very easily using water (with a helpful T3 shield to boot). It also adds a nice synergy with T3 naval and further bolsters Sera as a hover orientated race (as a theme element). It works well in game and has a definite gameplay impact on any map with water.
Korbah

Postby yeager » 10 Dec 2015, 17:13

On land the snipers are more reliable and on water it's totally map dependent, on a high shoreline they are useless, but I played a phantom game and found that it's pretty good, especially with the new shields. I was foghting a cybran and his navy was stealth, destroyers, t3 torp def, and the occasional battle ship, with a decent sized sniper group (and the benefit of no terrain issues on water) they would one shot destroyers, the shields I would build in excess ad send over the torpedo def so my subs could take it, and after that the battle ships were easy (this took about 30 minutes in all) and when I switched to t2 hover. The snipers picked off the t2 pd spam on his coast and then the tanks rushed in. Now it's very true part of the unit's success comes from people not knowing what to do, but in general it gives them more tricks, which increases there gameplay
yeager
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: Yeager

Postby briang » 10 Dec 2015, 18:50

Snipers are supposed to be fragile. I think you might be the first person EVER to think they should have more HP. That is literally the LAST problem they have.
briang
Spammer

Postby KD7BCH » 10 Dec 2015, 19:49

briang wrote:Snipers are supposed to be fragile. I think you might be the first person EVER to think they should have more HP. That is literally the LAST problem they have.

In your opinion.
The Gun Down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPmuSnJiV0o
KD7BCH
Priest

Has liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: KD7BCH

Postby briang » 10 Dec 2015, 19:52

No buddy. That is how they were designed and have stayed since vanilla. Find me any post on these forums where somebody over 1.5k says snipers are too fragile?

Their HP could be 1 and it would be mostly irrelevant, if they are in range of other land units you are microing them poorly.
briang
Spammer

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion