ACU Shooting Air Unit?

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: ACU Shooting Air Unit?

Postby briang » 10 Mar 2016, 05:23

It just isn't something that fits into the game. You're also forgetting that ACU already has the protection of an engineering suite.

T3 ACU can build itself a t2 shield and a sam in <15 seconds.

If you die to gunships with your ACU poorly positioned you deserve to lose. You are supposed to lose. Not to mention scouting and the variety of other ways to avoid being air sniped. We're not trying to make it more difficult to lose. Those are the simple weed-outs between <1.5k players and >1.5k players that create a high skill cap game.

This game is a series of investments, and what you're proposing devalues T2 air investment (and jesters) and adds precisely nothing in return. Air doesn't need any sort of nerf, it is already incredibly expensive.
Last edited by briang on 10 Mar 2016, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
Ninrai 2015- briang is usually an aggressive d****e
briang
Spammer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: YouLikeThat

Postby biass » 10 Mar 2016, 08:02

JaggedAppliance wrote:LichKing please spend some time learning the game instead of wasting your time with these posts.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 11 Mar 2016, 01:11

briang wrote:It just isn't something that fits into the game. You're also forgetting that ACU already has the protection of an engineering suite.

T3 ACU can build itself a t2 shield and a sam in <15 seconds.

If you die to gunships with your ACU poorly positioned you deserve to lose. You are supposed to lose. Not to mention scouting and the variety of other ways to avoid being air sniped. We're not trying to make it more difficult to lose. Those are the simple weed-outs between <1.5k players and >1.5k players that create a high skill cap game.

This game is a series of investments, and what you're proposing devalues T2 air investment (and jesters) and adds precisely nothing in return. Air doesn't need any sort of nerf, it is already incredibly expensive.

T3 engineering suit won't be much use if there is nothing to build from. Which is the case when gunship snipes happen - usually at T2 when eco is very feeble for many players. No way in hell will a com be able to build sam+shield in 15 seconds if he has -20 or -15 mass with 0 in storages. OC those gunships would be the only option. And it is at late T1 T2 stages when a commander may go wondering somewhere a bit far or will go with a major attack in the front lines. Not too few people sacrifice T2 suit for gun on early stages to kill the dude with T2 suit.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby briang » 11 Mar 2016, 01:25

You are operating on the basis that the ACU should be effective against gunships and I am telling you as someone who has put ~1000 hours into this game that it simply won't fit.

Think about it, you make the investment for air to snipe the ACU and it is just able to OC your entire investment. Think about current balance T2 Gunships > land without AA but < flak and < Air to Air. If gunships cannot be effective against poorly defended land units what value do they have?

Gunships already have the potential to be massacred by a comparatively miniscule mass/E cost of Flak. There is just no reason for the ACU to be anti-gunship Jesus.

If you wander your commander around undefended when there is T2 air on the field you are SUPPOSED to lose. You are taking the mindset that this is somehow acceptable play that is being punished by OP air and that is simply not the case.
briang
Spammer

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 11 Mar 2016, 02:17

briang wrote:You are operating on the basis that the ACU should be effective against gunships and I am telling you as someone who has put ~1000 hours into this game that it simply won't fit.

Think about it, you make the investment for air to snipe the ACU and it is just able to OC your entire investment. Think about current balance T2 Gunships > land without AA but < flak and < Air to Air. If gunships cannot be effective against poorly defended land units what value do they have?

Gunships already have the potential to be massacred by a comparatively miniscule mass/E cost of Flak. There is just no reason for the ACU to be anti-gunship Jesus.

If you wander your commander around undefended when there is T2 air on the field you are SUPPOSED to lose. You are taking the mindset that this is somehow acceptable play that is being punished by OP air and that is simply not the case.

So what's the solution? Cheaper air?

My mod:
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Postby Zoram » 11 Mar 2016, 03:34

solution to what problem ?
Zoram
Priest

Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 111 times
FAF User Name: zoram

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 11 Mar 2016, 04:16

Zoram wrote:solution to what problem ?

If we assume that ACU can shoot and OC gunships, which are pretty expensive, what's the solution to that? I suggest cheaper air, if ACU is to have anti air capabilities.

My mod:
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Postby briang » 11 Mar 2016, 04:40

As I have said 10 times... You are operating on the premise that the ACU needs this capability when it doesn't.

You fail to see the domino effect here. If you make air cheaper you throw off balance between air land and navy...
briang
Spammer

Postby Vanguard » 05 Apr 2016, 13:50

biass wrote:
LichKing2033 wrote:. But. I would not mind having that tactic extinct.

This game lives from the plethora of strategies that can be employed and balancing it for tryhard landspam with no raiding will most certainly kill it...

There is a game for that already. It´s called ashes of the singularity.

@ Lichking: Honestly, I do see were you are coming from. I myself have been bombed into dust NUMEROUS times and it happens to me still all the freaking time. Still, screwing up the balance over something rather minor is not the solution here. If you find yourself time and time again being bombed, you need to remind yourself that the enemy just spend the equivalent of 3 T1 PGens in terms of power spent to get this thing out. For the same mass cost, you can grab FOUR T1 Mobile Air defense and save roughly 1500 units of power. If you cannot exploit that fact, then I am not sure game balance is the problem.

My usual reason to get bombed is the unwillingness to get units out early. I find myself often stuck into producing engineers. oh well, i digress.
Vanguard

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Vanguard

Postby Legion Darrath » 05 Apr 2016, 22:16

Check out my AA ACU mod, it should be on the vault. It enables the ACU gun to fire on air units. It's been a while but if I remember correctly it doesn't enable overcharge to fire air targets. As I remember from people using the mod and limited tests of my own is that while it does indeed allow the ACU to fire at air targets, they are usually too fast and nimble to be hit unless flying in a straight line (such as bombers) or slower units like gunships or transports.

This mod was created back in vanilla after people complained that the ACU was too weak early game to ghetto gunships and besides the ACU in the trailer could do it and it looked cool so I figured why the hell not?

You can very easily try this mod out by downloading it from the vault but do keep in mind that it is a very old mod and due to my inexperience at the time it'll effect the entirety of the ACU's main weapon. This means it'll use vanilla damage etc although I'm pretty sure this has remained unchanged in FAF.
Legion Darrath
Evaluator

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 117 times
FAF User Name: Legion_Darrath

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion