SeraphimLeftNut
Contributor

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 219 times
FAF User Name: TA4Life

Re: ACU Shooting Air Unit?

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 01 Mar 2016, 01:30

Wanted to note a few things:
1) This thread is not that old yet (6/12/15).
2) Mercy's are useful but only in packs. Big packs.
3) ACU should not have aerial OC, just the ground one.
4) ACU should have a toggle between ground fire and air fire - that's logical.
5) This would kill some tactics but still, early bomber will be pretty effective as the coms will be busy with eco and don't have radar anyway in the early stages.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby briang » 01 Mar 2016, 02:41

I don't ever see this as viable... While it does have merits, there are very, very few of them. It also requires re-balancing of a lot of units that just doesn't make much sense to me. It totally crushes first/early bombers and makes ACU much stronger against air than it was ever intended to be.
Ninrai 2015- briang is usually an aggressive d****e
briang
Spammer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: YouLikeThat

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 03 Mar 2016, 00:33

briang wrote:I don't ever see this as viable... While it does have merits, there are very, very few of them. It also requires re-balancing of a lot of units that just doesn't make much sense to me. It totally crushes first/early bombers and makes ACU much stronger against air than it was ever intended to be.

Well, first bomber will still be pretty effective as the ACU will most likely be busy with setting up the base and won't be able to shoot. Also, like other people said, its body rotates pretty slowly and its gun is far from being accurate on fast-moving targets. Even T1 bomber will most likely be able to escape the blazing gun. The gun's sole purpose would then be killing ghetto gunships (why is it called so by the way?) and gunships that keep shooting. At least one gunship won't kill ACU in the open field.

My mod:
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Postby briang » 03 Mar 2016, 00:35

Of course the ACU will shoot the stupid bomber. It takes 3 shots to kill and once the bomber is dead your opponent has literally nothing. You clearly don't have experience w/ first bomber and playing vs it. You seriously think that the 4 seconds it takes to kill the bomber are spent less efficiently than making pgens that the bomber will just kill?

Ghetto gunships should kill ACU in the open field if the player has no Air and no AA... that is how air works. ACU doesn't need more protection against air on its own. Can you imagine building 6 strats to snipe someone and then having them just overcharge it? It simply isn't viable.
briang
Spammer

Postby biass » 03 Mar 2016, 07:59

briang wrote:Of course the ACU will shoot the stupid bomber. It takes 3 shots to kill and once the bomber is dead your opponent has literally nothing. You clearly don't have experience w/ first bomber and playing vs it. You seriously think that the 4 seconds it takes to kill the bomber are spent less efficiently than making pgens that the bomber will just kill?

Ghetto gunships should kill ACU in the open field if the player has no Air and no AA... that is how air works. ACU doesn't need more protection against air on its own. Can you imagine building 6 strats to snipe someone and then having them just overcharge it? It simply isn't viable.

As briang said, any decent player will happily stop building to stop first bomber, especially since early land scouts to check for first bomber is somewhat common

Unit's/turrets already point their barrels at anything just a little out of range to shoot them as soon as they do enter range also
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 04 Mar 2016, 04:11

briang wrote:Of course the ACU will shoot the stupid bomber. It takes 3 shots to kill and once the bomber is dead your opponent has literally nothing. You clearly don't have experience w/ first bomber and playing vs it. You seriously think that the 4 seconds it takes to kill the bomber are spent less efficiently than making pgens that the bomber will just kill?

Briang, believe it or not, I have experience with first bomber. And I am telling you, reacting to it takes time. Either it is build a turret, making MAA or inties, it all takes time. But. I would not mind having that tactic extinct. Reason being is that having ACU shoot gunships that are toasting him is better than losing a first bomber tactic. You seem to not read this thread too carefully as I already said "no OC for air". And strats are too damn fast for an ACU to shoot them. Unless, of course, you want to add a nanite missile system to ACU's shoulder in Supreme Commander 2 style. But I doubt you want to do that.

My mod:
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Postby briang » 04 Mar 2016, 04:38

T2 gunships have too much HP to be reliably killed by the ACU. So in reality you are advocating crushing early bomber play and having no impact on ACU strength vs T2+ air units.

Right now you have to build mobile AA to counter first bomber, you're advocating to remove any sort of need for unit based response, and instead replace it with 4 seconds for the ACU to blap it.

So really the only thing you're going to effect without overcharge is early air, and adding air overcharge simply can't work. Those two points combined are the reason this hasn't been done yet (and won't be).

It's always important to question your own ideas on a game like FA; it has been around long enough that people have proposed TONS of things.
briang
Spammer

Postby biass » 04 Mar 2016, 05:31

LichKing2033 wrote:. But. I would not mind having that tactic extinct.

Are you trying to ruin faf?

Reacting to first bomber is something that can be done in under a second, please learn your hotkeys and engineer micro before you try to balance the game for people who cannot. This game lives from the plethora of strategies that can be employed and balancing it for tryhard landspam with no raiding will most certainly kill it...
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 10 Mar 2016, 01:01

Gotta sort out a few things.
How about this compromise:
1) ACUs have the ability to shoot air.
2) They can shoot only gunships.
3) They switch between air/ground fire modes (like Siren class).
4) Overcharge is available to be used by ACUs.
That way, first bomber is not dead, strat runs are not extinct and ACU without air support can't get jumped by some lone restorer in the wrong place in the wrong time.

My mod:
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion