why in my oppinion mantei should be nerfed

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

why in my oppinion mantei should be nerfed

Postby Turinturambar » 19 Sep 2015, 17:04

Mantei are a stron unit. With their 270 Hp and 26.66 dps they are theoretically able 2 get a draw in a 1 v 1 with a striker, while being faster cheaper and having the building assist ability. (a striker got 300 Hp and 24 dps so a mantis survives 11.25 secons in that time a mantis can deal 300 damage => striker dead. The mantis also dies though.)
but the mantis beeing cheaper, faster ect. makes it the stronger unit.
How high level micro tips the balance in that fight i do not know. At my level its quite even.
Also cybran are the only one having t1 gunships and good t1 arty what leaves me guessing what exactly is the real cybran t1 weakness, compensating the mantei strengh.
In a bigger fight mantei are definetly the fafourites. with their lower price (in mass and buildpower) a army of 100 strikers has to face ~108 mantei, a fight they definetly loose. I made a basic mathematical modell, that prooves this thesis and also lez 100 strikers fight 107 mantei. the mantei win. by far.

Mathematical modell:

Itsavery basic one, so i make some (many) simplifying assumptions. There is no thing as overkill. There is perfect focus. Alphastrike is irrelevant.
So the Damage dealt by N Mantei is:

MD = MN*Mdps*dt

Where MD is the damage dealt, MN the number of mantei and Mdps the mantis dps and dt the time the mantei shoot.

The amount of strikers that die in that time is:

SN = MD/SHp = MN*(Mdps/SHp)*dt

Where SHp are the Hp of a Striker.

The equation for the dieing mantei has (obviously) the same structure:

MN = SN*(Sdps/MHp)*dt

There are 2 possible approaches to solve the problem.

1. the nummerical aprroach:

The number of units in the next timeframe is the number of units in the current timeframe minus those who died.

MN(t+dt) = MN - SN*(Sdps/MHp)*dt

SN(dt+dt) = SN - MN*(Mdps/SHp)*dt

The calculation is repeated untill eigher SN or MN is <=0.

With a Strikre Number of 100, a Mantis Number of 107.6923077 and dt = 0.05s the result is , that the mantei win after 21 seconds with 33.6 surviving mantei. (in the "experiment" it were 20-30 if i remember correctly)

2. Analytical approach:

with:

d/dt(SN) = MN*(Mdps/SHp) I
d/dt(MN) = SN*(Sdps/MHp) II

solving this equations takes some time so i only sketch how to solve them (if anyone cares and has a question about it just pm me).

I : d/dt[d/dt(SN)] = d/dt(MN*(Mdps/SHp))

d^2/dt^2(SN) = (Mdps/SHp)*d/dt(MN)
=>
d/dt(MN) = d^2/dt^2(SN)*(SHp/Mdps)

use the exponential approach and the initial conditions for SN, MN, d/dt(SN) and d/dt(MN) and you see that the solution is a hyperbolic function. The result is according with the experimet and the nummerical approach. (if anyone cares i lost it and am to lazy to recalculate it if no one cares).

Conclusion: This seems to proove that mantei are op. So is there some compensation for thatin cybran t1?
If not theMantei should be nerfed, by e.g. :

-increasing their price (mass) orat least in buildpower.
-decreasing their dps about 1 at 25.66 dps
-reducing their Hp about 15

if anyone can make a mod with different valus for Hp, dps,... to test it I would be gratefull.

PS: I only compare mantei with striker because i think striker>thaam and auroras are another topic
Turinturambar

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: 竜宮レナ

Re: why in my oppinion mantei should be nerfed

Postby lextoc » 19 Sep 2015, 17:11

The unit is called Mantis
I'm watching you!
lextoc
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 227 times
FAF User Name: lextoc

Postby Turinturambar » 19 Sep 2015, 17:13

lextoc wrote:The unit is called Mantis

plural = mantei? idk
Turinturambar

Postby yeager » 19 Sep 2015, 17:18

we could give striker/thaam more range to compensate, so cybran keeps God raiding, and good micro still favors mantis, but in a 1v1 the higher mas unit wins (appropriately)
yeager
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: Yeager

Postby Myxir » 19 Sep 2015, 17:21

adding some micro, strikers can win convincibly though (in lower numbers even against auroras)
the difference is that striker's firerate is better suited to the body turning than mantis, which has much more trouble to keep damaging while beeing microed
Unhappy with balance http://i.imgur.com/q5G2BlM.png
Myxir
Evaluator

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 306 times
FAF User Name: Washy (irc)

Postby TheKoopa » 19 Sep 2015, 17:39

we could give striker/thaam more range to compensate, so cybran keeps God raiding, and good micro still favors mantis, but in a 1v1 the higher mas unit wins (appropriately)

Alright here's the thing:

Compared to other tanks, mantis are unmicroable

The turret speed is far too low for it to actually use all of its DPS, whereas the thaam, striker, and aurora use it far, far better. Mantis is dps based which is a disadvantage in the early stages when all of the other tanks are alpha-based (think of bricks vs. percy).

They compensate for this by being the fastest, it seems reasonable to me.

You can do calculations all you want but they don't actually work in a real game.

Btw, plural of mantis is mantis.
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Turinturambar » 19 Sep 2015, 17:49

Kopia wrote:

Alright here's the thing:

Compared to other tanks, mantis are unmicroable

The turret speed is far too low for it to actually use all of its DPS, whereas the thaam, striker, and aurora use it far, far better. Mantis is dps based which is a disadvantage in the early stages when all of the other tanks are alpha-based (think of bricks vs. percy).

They compensate for this by being the fastest, it seems reasonable to me.

You can do calculations all you want but they don't actually work in a real game.

Btw, plural of mantis is mantis.

Unmicroble is exaggerated. I tink a mantis can still do well vs striker. Beeing fast makes also a bit easier to dodge enemy shoots.
Turinturambar

Postby Ceneraii » 19 Sep 2015, 17:51

To bring back an old famous quote:

"5 mantis against 3 striker? lol desperate"
Ceneraii

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: Ceneraii

Postby yeager » 19 Sep 2015, 18:01

I like early land right now, but mantis CAN be microed, you just need to dodge one shot and then you can stop and win fine. Also you can't evaded mantis dps like other factions. It would be nice if striker/thaam had better range an mantis had better damage , so it's still a strong raid unit but microed correctly other factions can win larger engagements, idk. Maybe just reduce mantis speed ever so slightly.
yeager
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: Yeager

Postby Ceneraii » 19 Sep 2015, 18:09

In fact, this topic is so ancient it's even part of the faf drinking game :)

Take a shot every time:

*Noobs complain about Mantis
Ceneraii

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: Ceneraii

Next

Return to Balance Discussion