removing beetle snipes

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: removing beetle snipes

Postby Myxir » 18 Oct 2015, 09:15

Tremarl wrote:There is no problem. Beetles have been this way since TA.

beetles have been severely buffed over time in FAF
- damage increased from 3.0 or 2.5 to 3.5k
- range increased to make them hit the acu better
- not damaging each other
and possibly more that i don't recall right now

and what kind of argument is that?
we wouldn't ever change a thing thinking like that
Unhappy with balance http://i.imgur.com/q5G2BlM.png
Myxir
Evaluator

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 306 times
FAF User Name: Washy (irc)

Postby D4E_Omit » 18 Oct 2015, 09:19

Tremarl wrote:There is no problem. Beetles have been this way since TA.

They've been this way if you ignore the fact that they've been buffed over and over and over and over and over again up until this point where they're just stupid annoying.
Go dig through old replays and see how many successful beetle snipes there were in a patch like 3599 or even a faf patch around 3620, barely any.. It's gone from a funny thing to a viable strategy and even upto it being OP.
Sometimes, I just feel like I want to eat pancakes.
D4E_Omit

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: D4E_Omit

Postby ZLO_RD » 18 Oct 2015, 09:48

Just for a sake of fact,
3599 beetles were 99.5% useless (i used them once to actually make a difference and win :D )
800 hp 1200 damage

3603: 300 hp 4500 damage, unit was underused cause people forgot that it existed, but when it got used people realised that it was OP.
Faf: damage was nerfed to 3500, and later added special armor type for beetles so they don't kill each other.

I guess it is time for next round of nerf. Gl with discussion :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby Tremarl » 19 Oct 2015, 02:12

600 HP -- -2.7k dmg
Tremarl
Spammer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Tremarl

Postby angus000 » 19 Oct 2015, 06:13

3k damage so it can kill t2 mexes
500-600 hp so it can't be killed so easily
Fix dropping on com's head
Don't make them take 2 spots on transport or else they'd be too much of a bother to use so no one will do it.
Increase mass cost to make it more of a risky investment, as any other tactic.
Making them explode when the transport crashes would be cool (though would open doors to lot of cheap tactics)
angus000

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 39 times
FAF User Name: flexible

Postby TheRedViper » 19 Oct 2015, 14:31

I think it is important that the Beetle itself doesn't get useless. keyser has proved that Beetles are pretty effective without transport on Open Palms in an early stage ACU push, so I don't think nerfing dmg would be as good as simply making the T2 unit take as much space as a normal T2 unit. Beetle snipes can still happen though, with T2 transport, but that would be a more cost more resources and time. This fixes the problem in a 1v1 situation but likely not in a 4v4 teamgame. That's what makes this so hard.. Air/eco player gifting T2 transport early wouldn't be a problem, but at least it would take some effort and resources put together the snipe.
Beetles cost the same as Rhino atm and actually build faster, maybe change this:

Eco: 300 mass --> 400, 1800 Energy --> 2250, 1200 build time --> 1400, (Rhino is 1320 BT)
T2 Fire Beetle takes same space as any other T2 unit.
Dmg reduced from 3500 --> 3250 or 3000? probably would need some opinions on changing dmg, I don't want to make unit useless).
"Also, what the f*** was that buildorder you whore" -Kalvirox
TheRedViper

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 26 times
FAF User Name: TheRedViper

Postby Tokyto » 19 Oct 2015, 15:17

TheRedViper wrote:I think it is important that the Beetle itself doesn't get useless. keyser has proved that Beetles are pretty effective without transport on Open Palms in an early stage ACU push, so I don't think nerfing dmg would be as good as simply making the T2 unit take as much space as a normal T2 unit. Beetle snipes can still happen though, with T2 transport, but that would be a more cost more resources and time. This fixes the problem in a 1v1 situation but likely not in a 4v4 teamgame. That's what makes this so hard.. Air/eco player gifting T2 transport early wouldn't be a problem, but at least it would take some effort and resources put together the snipe.
Beetles cost the same as Rhino atm and actually build faster, maybe change this:

Eco: 300 mass --> 400, 1800 Energy --> 2250, 1200 build time --> 1400, (Rhino is 1320 BT)
Dmg reduced from 3500 --> 3250 or 3000? probably would need some opinions on changing dmg, I don't want to make unit useless).

It's useless right now, so nerfing it doesn't really help :D (apart from ACU snipe, which is trying to be fixed here)
Tokyto
Evaluator

Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 302 times
FAF User Name: Tokyto_

Postby TheRedViper » 19 Oct 2015, 22:32

Tokyto wrote:
TheRedViper wrote:I think it is important that the Beetle itself doesn't get useless. keyser has proved that Beetles are pretty effective without transport on Open Palms in an early stage ACU push, so I don't think nerfing dmg would be as good as simply making the T2 unit take as much space as a normal T2 unit. Beetle snipes can still happen though, with T2 transport, but that would be a more cost more resources and time. This fixes the problem in a 1v1 situation but likely not in a 4v4 teamgame. That's what makes this so hard.. Air/eco player gifting T2 transport early wouldn't be a problem, but at least it would take some effort and resources put together the snipe.

It's useless right now, so nerfing it doesn't really help :D (apart from ACU snipe, which is trying to be fixed here)

Sorry Tokyto, you have no say in this! :D Just kidding, but they are far from useless alone... keyser has proved this many times already, and I remember using them a few times on 5x5 without transport.
"Also, what the f*** was that buildorder you whore" -Kalvirox
TheRedViper

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 26 times
FAF User Name: TheRedViper

Postby keyser » 19 Oct 2015, 22:49

I ve proven that it s a viable strategy, not that they were op and needed a nerf.
As i m saying again we only need to nerf acu snipe with transport.

The must do is to remove the possibility of deoping real close to acu.
Nerfing transport clamp for beetle would help nerfing the acu snipe but it would nerf any other use of beetle + transport to snipe eco or xp.... (or t3 bot...)
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby d-_-b » 20 Oct 2015, 02:14

i was fine with beetles...
before you could die to them exploding in the transport without even touching the ground...

i was fine with beetles...
before as soon as they are dropped they do this weird teleport-scatter so you cant overcharge them if you are quick on your feet and facing the right way.

as it stands, if i die to beetles it just feels really cheap. you can't deny the transport without loads of aa or flak, and if you're unlucky you will die anyway as the flak kill the beetles over your head... and people moan about having to bring a few t1 aa with them to deny mercies.

mercies are easily counterable, by a few t1 maa, or a single t1 aa turret.
beetles with this scattering, and exploding on death... are FAR SUPERIOR to mercies, its not like the transport has 1 health.

before the last patch they were strong but not broken.
they are currently totally broken.
d-_-b

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 20 times
FAF User Name: d-_-b

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion