52%
B
48%

Total votes : 63

Re: Scope of the next patch

Postby rxnnxs » 14 Sep 2015, 19:48

Whatever you do,
after making those fine tuning/big changes, then it would be time to:

write a manual and show off how every unit is meant to be played.
talk about the role it is supposed to have.

as to shorten things a little:
a changelog should not be the only text that tells the community what has happend in the last years, months and days.
things change. it has to be said clearly what exactly and how to play this game.
yes, let FA have many changes, but let it go into one direction. sure it does not self explain everything. this has to be documented.
lets say for instance the restorer. what is his purpose? let him be good at what he is supposed to. if he is not, than its a wasted unit.
a player should know what a unit is made for and it should function that way.

and the player should be informed a bit more in game where his economy is in need. like that notification mod.
you could implement such nice helping mods and for pros everything is turned off. no UI even that is not accepted by the council
P.S. yes, i know, UI cant be controlled..

P.P.S.: Ahem, Awesome!
Thank you BRNKoINSANITY. And thank you all for this better than text "patch notes".
And what i just tried to decribe would be as this patch note but for all units.
rxnnxs
Priest

Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: rxnnxs

Postby zeroAPM » 14 Sep 2015, 20:53

Zoram wrote:
zeroAPM wrote:What about making a "noob" FAF and a "pro" FAF?

(assuming this was not sarcastic) the fact is in most discussion people with rating corresponding with 80 % of the player base are called "noobs" already. Not sure going further down that route will do anything good for the game.

IF you mean having a specific mod for "noobs", not sure it's a good idea either.

Wasn't joking.
zeroAPM
Priest

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: Impressingbutton

Postby rxnnxs » 16 Sep 2015, 17:58

it should be explained for everybody what can happen to you and how to counter it..
sounds fun for those who know it, but disappointing for beginners who will come into the game.

like all the possible ways how to be sniped.
from TML and mercies up to the way an air drop with beetles can do this.

how the hover bomb is done. i don't even want to know it, but it should be known for everybody while it is possible.

so many things change, only those that play every other day know what has changed again...

when you start playing FAF you find some things out.. like:
- hey, where is the overcharge? -> looking what happend, takes a while to find out that a storage has to be made
- what?? i wanted to drag the enemy ACU with a big explosion into death, but he still stands?! and the buildings too. WHAAAATT??!!! ok, next time... wait, going into the forums and read...
- what happend to the monkeylord, i can build him so quick, WHAT?? OR
- what? a monkeylord is in my base at min 15. cant be!
- estorage explosion is no great harm anymore..
and so on.. an endless list

so something should be made very visible in the client and on this page (i also miss a link from here to the main page, this is the forum ok, but it would be nice to switch there from here without anything else).
WARNING! before playing, read THIS.
haha, there was a time where they warned about: "online gaming may alter your strategy" or game experience orsomething like that. well, thats obvious isn't it?
what a joke! the RTS games would need this warning more, especially FA ;-)
even better:
before playing (like a warning when using "dangerous" machines, even a coffee machine:

!! READ THE MANUAL !!
then YOU WILL LOSE.
then THEY CALL YOU CHEATER.
then YOU WIN.
rxnnxs
Priest

Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: rxnnxs

Postby Thim » 19 Sep 2015, 03:05

There is a "noob" FAF. It's called Gap of Rohan. And I'm not knocking that map here; I honestly think it's the best thing that ever happened to FAF. It's a low-pressure arena where people can make horrid mistakes and still come back without instant death to a million things. I wish there were more steping stones between maps like Rohan, and something like Diversity which requires some serious skill to be ready to play on. Seton's sort of does it, but it's also sort of different game in it's own right...
Thim
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Thim

Postby Blodir » 19 Sep 2015, 08:55

Thim wrote:There is a "noob" FAF. It's called Gap of Rohan. And I'm not knocking that map here; I honestly think it's the best thing that ever happened to FAF. It's a low-pressure arena where people can make horrid mistakes and still come back without instant death to a million things. I wish there were more steping stones between maps like Rohan, and something like Diversity which requires some serious skill to be ready to play on. Seton's sort of does it, but it's also sort of different game in it's own right...

I think more people should understand this :) though I like to hate on gap jokingly, I still realize it's an extremely important stepping stone. I'll consider making a new "easy" map in the future, but I don't really know how much variation different "gap"-like maps can have.
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Blodir » 19 Sep 2015, 15:25

briang wrote:The issue with gap is that there is no map in between it and some of the super aggressive team game maps. Going from playing 100 gap games to your first game on wonder you're likely to die in 5 minutes.

Any ideas on a way to create a map that is a good stepping stone towards aggressive play and how to deal with it?

Probably a good way to do this would be to simply make a similar map but with a bigger gap and closer spawns + without the fucking reclaim btw ^^ but instead have treegroups + rocks and stuff
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Tremarl » 21 Sep 2015, 10:04

To say that the last (FAf beta) set of balance patches were uncontroversial, is a bit odd considering the massive effect they have had on the game and how the supposed theory crafting of those balance changes haven't translated properly into the actual gameplay.

T2 Hover is now worthless
TML COM's are pretty pointless most of the time
Ahwassa can now be purposefully blocked by asf without much consequence thus stopping it bombing exposed targets.
Etc

Also an ARAS Aeon player will stall while making a t3 bomber, but be able to produce ASF with the same bp without much consequence... that seems totally illogical...
Tremarl
Spammer

Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Tremarl

Postby dirtierdragoon4. » 01 Oct 2015, 00:33

Something completely different:

1. Develop, under options/game options after starting the lobby, a build restriction on upgrading commander and SCU to RAS and have it as a default. Even though its a build restriction, putting it under build restriction would not give players proper notice that RAS upgrades are in play; OR
2. Make it a simple build restriction under restrictions after hosting a lobby but notice must be given in some fashion that ranked has RAS and unranked has No RAS, or something to promote RAS and No RAS capabilities.

My 8 posts, so far, on this is in on this following page http://forums.faforever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=10702&start=80 Thanks for your consideration. :ugeek:
dirtierdragoon4.
Crusader

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: dirtierdragon

Postby keyser » 01 Oct 2015, 15:56

those proposition aren't related to balance issue.
you can go on github, and ask them for those improvement.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Lu_Xun_17 » 01 Oct 2015, 22:30

happy birthday my friend ;)
Lu_Xun_17
Contributor