AEON TMD rendered ineffective by High altitude Tac missiles Topic is solved

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

AEON TMD rendered ineffective by High altitude Tac missiles

Postby cmfrip » 15 Aug 2015, 02:36

I recently played a game of Gap of Rohan and had my eco obliterated by ineffective TMD and I wanted to query whether this is:
a, Meant to do it(be limited by only neutralising LOW flying projectiles)
b, How FAF views this for Balance

Please see this replay:
http://content.faforever.com/faf/vault/ ... id=3757709

Now, Fast forward to 10:45 into the game where the top right player has built a TML silo on the mountain.

I, on tthe other side, have started to build TMD, the first one gets by my lack of defense, but the second fired rocket passes over an AEON TMD structure and it has no effect...

This keeps on happening with one rocket passing by 2 TMD Area of affect and anther rocket passing over the top of the centre of another TMD.

AM I missing something? Should this be allowed?

Someone in game suggested it was due to aeon TMD having too low area of effect (AOA)( because the tml silo was on a mountain and my TMD is on the basin).

Can someone fill me in as to what TMD is meant to and not meant to do? As clearly Particualry for Gap of rohan, an aeon player is at a severe disadvantage , where he has to place TMD everywhere on the map to be safe. I thought Aeon TMD was pretty good before this, and if you guys dont change it, it will put me off it for life :(

Personally I feel this is an extremely unfair tactic and dont think it should be allowed and AOA should apply to what ever Altitude.

Any help with where to put this (perhaps the hacks and exploits topic?) would be good also.

I will add that this is the first time I have ever seen this too, and I have played thousands of games of supcom on FAF alone.
cmfrip
Crusader

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: cmfrip

Re: AEON TMD rendered ineffective by High altitude Tac missi

Postby angus000 » 15 Aug 2015, 06:19

I call it a smart usage of the terrain and game mechanics. I don't see the problem tbh. You can counter it if you spot it in time, as with any other tactic in the game.

It was really nice to see.
angus000

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 39 times
FAF User Name: flexible

Postby BRNKoINSANITY » 15 Aug 2015, 06:47

The Aeon tmd hard counters TML launches of any kind and any amount by killing one tac missile and deflecting the rest. A single TMD can literally deflect 50 tac missiles if they are launched at the same time. However, you can spoof it by launching one missile to trigger it and then launching the rest right behind. Aeon is arguably the worst and the best TMD because it has the ability to kill cybran tacs without splitting them, but it also has lower range which doesn't let it reach up as far or cover as much distance. It has the best total deflection/kill ability, but it can be "spoofed". It is a unique unit, not a broken unit or a unit that needs rebalanced. Just learn to use it :) eg build them closer to what you are actually trying to protect.
BRNKoINSANITY
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 207 times
FAF User Name: BRNKoINSANITY

Postby BattleMoose » 15 Aug 2015, 07:17

I would swop my UEF TMD for Aeon TMD? They are different but I would absolutely prefer the aeon tmd. Viper spam on uef is bad!
BattleMoose

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: BattleMoose

Postby ZeRen » 15 Aug 2015, 08:21

BattleMoose wrote:I would swop my UEF TMD for Aeon TMD? They are different but I would absolutely prefer the aeon tmd. Viper spam on uef is bad!

well, UEF com can spam shield so fast that you need army of Vipers, especially against T3 com (well then viper is useless because ravenger has OP range, and then you have to use T3M arty)
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby ZLO_RD » 15 Aug 2015, 08:58

ZeRen wrote:
BattleMoose wrote:I would swop my UEF TMD for Aeon TMD? They are different but I would absolutely prefer the aeon tmd. Viper spam on uef is bad!

well, UEF com can spam shield so fast that you need army of Vipers, especially against T3 com (well then viper is useless because ravenger has OP range, and then you have to use T3M arty)

Any com can, and best wold be aeon, not uef, uef shields suck (maybe they recharge faster but not sure).... But alternatevely you have option to get gun+t2 and scare vipers away, later to try scare t3 arty away with shielded com...

Spamming shields against vipers will work, but it is very cost of ineffective

Aeon tmd is probably worst one, can't always stop mmls, need to build alot agains TML, and only has 500 hp so can be easily sniped by t1 bombers or lucky t1 arty shots when they push at your position.

And yes it does not always stop missiles that fly very high, tmd may shoot but it projectile flyes up quite slow so missile may pass trought... Not sure, maybe we could increase firing tolerance or range, with projectile speed and lifetime or range.of attraction and stuff like that...
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby cmfrip » 15 Aug 2015, 13:02

It sounds like everyone thinks that this is ok and it will remain the same... I guess it is a unique position to be in, at the height... But How does that justify me placing tmd everywhere I define as my base?

I guess I could do with tweaking my base building so that it is better condensed, but it means that if someone gets that point(on the hill), then an aeon player has to put TMD not only on the frontier , but at EVERY sq block within their base... I don't think this makes sense, and I only would jusifty a plan like this if I was paranoid , about what was mentioned about t1 bomber/ t1 arty hitting my position...

I guess I wiil have to deal with it, and certainly be a little more aggressive next time someone takes that hill... Gap of Genesis seems to have the dynamic more where a a player takes the hill to turle and make creep into someone's base, but I never considered rohan to have that mechanic

Thanks for responses
cmfrip
Crusader

Postby cmfrip » 15 Aug 2015, 13:17

I will add to this that I'm still not really satisfied, so will bring to the table with the people who are balance testing.. afterall, aeon tmd can kill multiple rockets at same time ( can damage shields),but is slow, whereas the other kill one-by-one in quick succession... There doesn't seem to be any reason to handicap that aeon tmd in view of that imho

The problem I have with placing tmd next to everything or what I want to protect (i.e. Everything) is that it is not only a waste of time, but a waste of mass. But the time i protected my self from tml 100%, I could have built a GC xD

Some rohan games, like this one have many people making tml early, so how can I protect myself against such an adversary, when they build 1 and I have to build 50 :P

I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying this requires a little more discussion
cmfrip
Crusader

Postby keyser » 15 Aug 2015, 13:44

you don't need to protect everything. Only key target : T2 mexx, T2 pgen, HQ mainly.
T2/T3 assist factory too.
you can't choose where you build your mexx. But you can get your pgen and HQ where mexx are, and then reduce the number of tmd needed.
in team game, you gonna need maybe 1-2 more tmd. But you won't need to build more if the number of tml opponent build is higher.
in 1v1 you gonna have to build maybe more depending, on how big the map is, and the mexx repartition.

no need to fix that.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby pza » 15 Aug 2015, 15:59

also, it is in the nature of gap of rohan, that TMLs are so strong. It's way harder to kill a TML base than in any other map i can think of. So just play a different map and you're good.
pza

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: pza

Next

Return to Balance Discussion