future of SCUs

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: future of SCUs

Postby Iszh » 23 Jul 2015, 12:45

I offered one more solution keyser, buff them & increse cost and increase cost of quantum gate a lot for example 10k mass. Then add 1500 built rate to the quantum gate and increase built time of scu. It works like the nuke system as a soft unit limit in the game. You hardly will be able to assist or to spam factories. Which means you are not able to spam them. They will be some kind of very powerful special unit t4 level to conquer bases back like your real acu and is available every 3-5 mins.
Iszh
Evaluator

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 126 times
FAF User Name: Iszh

Postby keyser » 23 Jul 2015, 13:16

so you want to add another tech ? like T4 are exp, now we would be able to get T5 scu. That would require enormous of BP.

i'm not huge fan of it tbh. I prefers the 2 first options, with 1 rewarding micro, and the other rewarding army composition.
but i would love to know what people think about these 3 option.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Korbah » 23 Jul 2015, 15:21

Another option is to formalise T4 as a separate tier from T3.

Add an extra build suite to ACU's - T4
SCU's come with T4 build suite.

Only T4 ACU's and SCU's can build experimentals. That'll slow spider rush :P

It won't fix SCU's entirely - but it'd define their role as a T4 engineer as compared to standard t3 engi's who won't be able to build xp's
Korbah

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Korbah

Postby yeager » 23 Jul 2015, 15:50

maki wrote:I like the idea of having them as support units.

As combat units they should be less mass eficient as t3 or experimentals, because they can build and reclaim on battlefield.

That logic is what sent them into the 7years of uselessness, it's like nerfing the harb because it can reclaim, it's not realistic
yeager
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: Yeager

Postby pza » 23 Jul 2015, 16:41

yeager wrote:

As combat units they should be less mass eficient as t3 or experimentals, because they can build and reclaim on battlefield.

That logic is what sent them into the 7years of uselessness, it's like nerfing the harb because it can reclaim, it's not realistic

imagine a unit for 1 mass, 1 energy, that is nearly invulnerable but deals close to zero damage and can reclaim and build stuff incredibly fast. EVERYONE would use it, because OP as hell.

Somewhere in between OP as hell and useless must be the place for a Support Commander Unit.
pza

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: pza

Postby yeager » 23 Jul 2015, 17:02

pza wrote:
yeager wrote:

imagine a unit for 1 mass, 1 energy, that is nearly invulnerable but deals close to zero damage and can reclaim and build stuff incredibly fast. EVERYONE would use it, because OP as hell.

Somewhere in between OP as hell and useless must be the place for a Support Commander Unit.

Lol, please no, people don't use scus for reclaim, and barely use them for building, they are used as combat units, if they become ineffectivr at that they won't get used, plane an simple. Also only the uef scu has huge hp. Finally, no one wants that to happen, everyone loves scus and wants to keep using them, they just need to be counterable. I have a 7yr depression to prove your idea won't help, you have an analogy that barely makes sense :p
Also if you want t see what your idea will look like give the uef scu all the hp and shield upgrades and nothing else, then try to use it realisticly, as you can see, it is boring, ineffective, and a huge waste of time
yeager
Evaluator

Postby KD7BCH » 23 Jul 2015, 17:08

I favor keeping them potent fighters, but reducing their overall HP, so that they single and small groups 2-3, won't be able to trash a defense before being eliminated. In groups of 10-15 they are going to be able to march in like a boss. I suggested 50% hp cut at once, but maybe 25-35% is more reasonable. In any event they need to be more susceptible to air as a counter and the land EXPs have to be able to kill these faster. I still think a group of 20 SACUs can be used as a game ender too but the opportunity cost has to be pretty high.
The Gun Down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPmuSnJiV0o
KD7BCH
Priest

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: KD7BCH

Postby ZLO_RD » 23 Jul 2015, 17:19

I personally do not like adjstency nerfs for gateways...
Imo, Support commanders supposed to be lategame support units or sparky-like units.

So i thought that problem is that some people just rush scus and drop them and even if you have counter for them, scus are very high hp units and can fight for a while and then retreat and regen, reclaim, kite, restore their shield, make t1 pd or t2 shield...
Imo solution would be to make them harder to rush... More build time, but also can add more build power to gateway just like engy mod did to t3 air facs. Also can increase cost of scus generally, but not nerf adjustency. So for scu spam you will always have to make addictional investment into adjustency setup, that will be beneficial in lategame and maybe even add more gates, since as i just suggested to nerf assist and buff adjustency...

Why i would do it? Well.... So if you want to spam only scus you will have to make more gates and make adjustency stuff... It is bigger commitment and just takes kinda long time to just get that setup...

So it will be harder to put all resources into scviable least i think so... But could be wrong) because you just will not really want to assist them to much so at least 1rst one will come later OR at higher cost...

I like how this kind of changes affected ASF production, with assist nerf and factory build power buff
Ofc assist should still be viable but maybe nerf it down just as for t3 air or even slightly harder

Also i think it will give you slow and steady production of not very expencive scus...

So i kinda hope it can help slowing scu rush in early game, but in lategame you can just make more gates and spam scus with all your mass, and that is why they still have to be less cost effective than other combat units.

Tl;dr: increase cost, buff adjsteady, nerf assist = still can spam, harder to rush
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby yeager » 23 Jul 2015, 17:28

But should they be rushable? They do sit in the 3.7 range, and cybran especially is meant for earlier deployment, not when the majority of combat units on the field has already become exps
yeager
Evaluator

Postby ckitching » 23 Jul 2015, 18:36

What if the cost of each SCU you build is higher than the last?
After all, you're supposedly summoning an extra dude to the battle: that's gotta be expensive :P
ckitching

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: ckitching

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion