T3 Artillery Turret Symmetry

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

T3 Artillery Turret Symmetry

Postby Swaygin » 29 Jun 2015, 18:02

Hi everyone, I'd like to suggest a change to T3 artillery. The figures below are for the Emissary (Aeon).

The speed of the turret is very slow (and probably rightly so), with full 360 degree rotation taking a bit over 2 minutes. However, it can only built with its turret facing south, this creates a significant advantage to map position.

For example, if Player X spawns at 6:00 and Player Y spawns at 12:00, X must wait an additional 60 seconds after completion to fire at Y, while Y will begin firing immediately.
For diagonal starting positions the difference is less extreme (a 15 second rotation delay vs. a 45 second rotation delay), but still significant.

There are a number of possible solutions, although almost all seem far too complicated. Two possibilities:

(1) Allow building position-specific artillery. I.e., the player can select from 4 possible turret directions (N,S,E,W). This would solve almost all symmetry problems, but would require modifying build menu.
(2) Make the T3 Artillery the player can build a function of their position, determined at the outset of the game. E.g., the only artillery of a player spawning at 7:30 would be one have a turret starting at 45 degrees, while that of a player spawning at 1:30 would have a turret starting at 225 degrees.

Again, I don't know how difficult this would be to change, but I believe 60 seconds is a significant difference.

"To work for crumbs, or to keep from the lash, says maybe a slave's what you are."
Swaygin
Crusader

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Swaygin

Re: T3 Artillery Turret Symmetry

Postby IceDreamer » 29 Jun 2015, 20:38

This is true for all units. If we do this, we'd want to do it for PD, Factories, AA, TMD, etc, the list goes on. It has been proven possible in the past that we can allow totally free, 360 degree building rotation, but whether or not this is a good idea for gameplay is very much debatable. It breaks adjacency for one thing.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby ZenTractor » 30 Jun 2015, 03:49

A possible workaround might be to have all buildings/units with turrets to spawn with their turrets facing the centre of the map.
ZenTractor

Has liked: 10 times
FAF User Name: ZenTractor

Postby nine2 » 30 Jun 2015, 04:43

it affects where units come out of factories as well ... its different for top/bottom player. Not a huge deal but while your talking about it ... the solution would be

1. make it optional
2. rotate all buildings towards center based off building position (not player start position)
edit: i mean rotate it a multiple of 90' that is closest to pointing at center of map

so some land factories would face down, some left, depending on where on the map you place them. Same dealio with t3 arty.
Last edited by nine2 on 30 Jun 2015, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby theeggroll » 30 Jun 2015, 06:16

i dont think the grid for which you build in fa could handle rotated things. but i think this is a good point for t3 arti only, most things with turrets turn significantly faster so its not an issue. t1 pd turns 360 in like 6 seconds, not 60
GMT - 6 http://spooky.github.io/unitdb/#/
When in doubt, Blame Gorton
theeggroll
Priest

Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 98 times
FAF User Name: theeggroll

Postby nine2 » 30 Jun 2015, 06:22

without looking into it, i suspect grid system can handle rotation in multiples on 90' which is what i am proposing. i didnt mean to suggest we allow any other rotation.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Postby pza » 30 Jun 2015, 10:46

Of course it has to work. It works in other games aswell. It just requires a lot of coding i suppose.
Tbh this was the first question i ever had. selected the factory and asked my friend: "how do i rotate a building? whats the hotkey? do i have to click and then drag into the general direction?" i was really disappointed and my first thought was "wow this game is probably not really competitive".

that would be how I would implement it. Factories auto-facing the middle sucks because map could have a cliff in the way and you'd desire to change the direction to normal, and then you cant.
pza

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: pza

Postby nine2 » 30 Jun 2015, 11:27

Well I would do it my way. Towards center is a better default than just down all the time. Manual rotation is nice too but I think many wouldn't use it because its not important enough to sacrifice apm. It would also be a bit more confusing to see what is going on with buildings rotated every which way, but I just use strat icons anyway ...
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Postby Swaygin » 30 Jun 2015, 16:16

Thanks for pondering the suggestion guys, especially since my coding ignorance allows me to suggest all sorts of things that may be impossible to actually implement. :)
Swaygin
Crusader

Has liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Swaygin

Postby pza » 01 Jul 2015, 12:31

Anihilnine wrote:Well I would do it my way. Towards center is a better default than just down all the time. Manual rotation is nice too but I think many wouldn't use it because its not important enough to sacrifice apm. It would also be a bit more confusing to see what is going on with buildings rotated every which way, but I just use strat icons anyway ...

in Spring rts it works like that, and everyone, i repeat: EVERYONE does it. even tho the pathing is better than here. units would get clustered less when spammed, get to their destinations better, especially when assisted by many engies and with lots of adjecency bonuses.
especially in naval yards that is incredibly useful.
pza

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: pza

Next

Return to Balance Discussion