T3 Artillery Turret Symmetry

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: T3 Artillery Turret Symmetry

Postby Ceneraii » 09 Sep 2015, 13:53

Well I don't care much about the arty cases, but UEF TMD is kind of a problem and couldn't we fix that by just giving it an insanely high turret turn speed?
Ceneraii

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: Ceneraii

Postby zeroAPM » 09 Sep 2015, 15:32

Could it be possible to make turrets retain their last direction instead of defaulting to their standard position?

Also, the UEF TMD could be inaccurate but spray a continuous stream of projectiles.
zeroAPM
Priest

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: Impressingbutton

Postby Ceneraii » 09 Sep 2015, 15:38

zeroAPM wrote:Could it be possible to make turrets retain their last direction instead of defaulting to their standard position?

Also, the UEF TMD could be inaccurate but spray a continuous stream of projectiles.

For retaining direction; while it would be a stop-gap fix for most cases I think a faster turn speed would eliminate the whole problem.

Inaccurate TMD isn't a good idea, TML's are hyper precise weapons with massive range and huge damage; it requires accurate, reliable defences or the RNG gods will have a field day.

*Clarification on RNG gods having a field day; even if the chances of something happening are abysmally low, repeated iterations of the event guarantee that it will happen, quite often in fact. Think about how often people win the lottery despite the insanely low chances of it happening.
Ceneraii

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: Ceneraii

Postby DeimosEvotec » 10 Sep 2015, 00:03

They already retain their last direction, all of them...
So going back to an idle position is no problem since they don't do that.

A good solution would be to make it possible to rotate certain buildings by 180° and some by 90°.
You may ask why 180° for some?
The answer to that is that for factories units will still try to use the same route to exit as if the building was not rotated.
Domino created a mod that randomised rotation but he couldn't fix that problem at the time,
but for turrets we could make it 90°.
Here are links to the op and the proof of concept video:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8486&p=80986&hilit=free+rotation#p80986
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQwm1oDnGHM only a proof of concept all buildings have random rotation
DeimosEvotec
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: DeimosEvotec

Postby da_monstr » 10 Sep 2015, 00:35

Speaking of naval;
is there a good reason for sera naval yards to be turned just opposite to all other factions' ones?
(As in the original factions have the ships built to the north, while sera has to the south---- or am I mixing it up?)
Peace through superior firepower.
[Total Biscuit, comparing FA to SupCom2] "The scale and the sublime nature of the economy was ruined with Supreme Commander 2, which I absolutely despised. Oh god, I hate that game so very much."
da_monstr
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times
FAF User Name: Mainstay

Postby zeroAPM » 10 Sep 2015, 15:50

Ceneraii wrote:
zeroAPM wrote:Could it be possible to make turrets retain their last direction instead of defaulting to their standard position?

For retaining direction; while it would be a stop-gap fix for most cases I think a faster turn speed would eliminate the whole problem.

Inaccurate TMD isn't a good idea, TML's are hyper precise weapons with massive range and huge damage; it requires accurate, reliable defences or the RNG gods will have a field day.

*Clarification on RNG gods having a field day; even if the chances of something happening are abysmally low, repeated iterations of the event guarantee that it will happen, quite often in fact. Think about how often people win the lottery despite the insanely low chances of it happening.

What about "faction difference".

If you make all TMD insta turn like the Cyb one then...

Also, for the UEF TMD the inaccuracy (nothing too crazy obviously, no 45° angle) would be compensated by the outrageous volume of fire (meaning a missile could be hit even if not targeted)

Just a fun idea.
zeroAPM
Priest

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: Impressingbutton

Postby KrogothFTW » 21 Sep 2015, 10:20

rxnnxs wrote:
it would be the best solution if buildings could be rotated with the middle mouse button just like build templates can be rotated. brought to us by a great mod (forgot the name, sorry) that is now implemented in FAF.

You mean I don't need 8 templates to combine walls and pd?
KrogothFTW

Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Destruct0mat

Postby rxnnxs » 23 Sep 2015, 19:15

KrogothFTW wrote:You mean I don't need 8 templates to combine walls and pd?

I do not understand your question.
there are no 8 templates but 8 walls and a pd that are then one template, and rotating them would not change anything.
any other template you made up thats not symmetric can be rotated.
but you have to activate the build template in the options menu as a lot of other things that are deactivated from scratch.

ggg.gif
toobig? hopfeully not
ggg.gif (711.52 KiB) Viewed 2965 times
rxnnxs
Priest

Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: rxnnxs

Postby Crotalus » 24 Sep 2015, 20:40

Auto-rotation of defense structures against enemy (or mid when no enemies are visible)

https://github.com/FAForever/fa/pull/942
Crotalus
Priest

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 102 times
FAF User Name: Crotalus

Postby KrogothFTW » 25 Sep 2015, 10:25

rxnnxs wrote:
KrogothFTW wrote:You mean I don't need 8 templates to combine walls and pd?

I do not understand your question...

I've deleted 6 of the templates since now I can rotate them; wall arcs at a fixed distance from point defense, to keep tanks from closing to firing range while still allowing PD to fire at them. I had a template for one at each cardinal and intermediate direction.
KrogothFTW

Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Destruct0mat

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion