Equilibrium

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Equilibrium

Postby Nepty » 24 May 2017, 00:08

Jamming is now refreshed after being scouted rather than being disabled for the rest of the game.

:o OMG that's amazing! Just brilliant! UEF commanders are celebrating today. (Shame it's just for the EQ mod and not official.)
Either way, keep up the excellent work!
Original join Date: August 21, 2012 | Original FAF account: Cybrankiller | Highest skill rating: 1780
Favorite map: Vale of Isis | Favorite faction: UEF | Favorite opponent: Anaryl | Favorite pro: Chosen
Nepty

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 56 times
FAF User Name: Sapphire

Postby Exotic_Retard » 24 Aug 2017, 08:26

so hi.

new patch for eq has just been released.

EQ V47 is currently live as a featured mod.

This one was prepared a few weeks ago, but because of my recent absence i decided to release it after and not before i left so any issues could be sorted out. Anyway its here.

Notable changes:
- Fixed an important bug with acu upgrades which was caused by the notify integration. yeah being away sucks :|
- The mantis icon change has been reverted, some of you will be glad to know. its a damn shame really. Anyway, its been reverted in such a way that ui mods can change it back to the tank icon as it should be :3 ill be releasing that in the Retarded Strategic Icons mod.
- Increased the price of T1 tanks slightly. If anyone remembers the last EQ tourney that was a cause for concern there. After extremely much consideration, we decided to nerf them a little. We did it like this to preserve the interactions on a per unit basis that they had. Also we're still not entirely sure this is a good move, but it can always be reverted if its not.

- Adjusted the sera destroyer firing pattern (same dps) to make it better against sub hunters
- Changed the visuals of the depth charges that naval units use. should look nicer now.
- Mercy speed reduced a little since it was kinda strange

- Fixed a bug with auto refuel where planes excessively wanted to refuel on mobile air staging platforms
- Fixed a bug with the sera SACU and range rings where they sometimes showed the wrong range
- Fixed a faf bug with sera t2 gunships missing, now they miss extremely much less
- Fixed a faf bug with SACUs where they had gun upgrades and their projectiles disappeared before they hit them. Normal faf fixed it for the Cybran SACU only, but its actually present on the others too.

You can view the changelog for the whole mod here:
http://equilibrium.x10host.com/changelog/

Lastly, thanks for everyone who complained about the mod, and to those who reported bugs. It makes life a lot easier for us, even if we don't look like we appreciate it <3
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby Morax » 24 Aug 2017, 15:02

Exotic,

So many changes...

How do you know the intended result happens when there are legit dozens of dozens of changes implemented in a release like this?

Also why keep t1 land with so high hp values as it makes aggression with an ACU less appealing. The lowered dps is nice but it's not enough to make players refrain from using the Commander other than a home base builder.

Nice idea on the simplified drain rates for factories... I was always annoyed to have to remember different mass drain rates for certain units. This is a welcome idea that I hope is implemented into official.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Exotic_Retard » 24 Aug 2017, 15:30

we know what it will do because we work on one change at a time:

we know from real games how eq played before
then from understanding of the code we can predict what changes will do.
we then confirm that the changes do that we thought they would with testing, first sandboxing and then after any adjustments we host private games and play them
that way we know that the game with change 1 works like we want it to, then we move onto the next change. That way we keep everything under control and its easy to compare the before/after scenarios

we follow this cycle for everything pretty much. because we arent lazy the cycles can happen pretty quickly, but this is certainly not throwing shit at the wall and seeing what happens. indeed this release is fairly small since ive been away for quite some time so work on its been suspended until i returned.

anyway, about the t1 changes:
Spoiler: show
based on the data in the tourney alone, theres not too much suggestion that acus are at all weak. if anything its a pretty good case that they are strong in eq
- as a reminder, in the tourney out of 18 games, 9 of them saw heavy acu use with success - and a lot of those saw multiple acus being used well.
- here are the stats again if you want them: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14740&start=20#p150888
- that alone is a lot of evidence that acus arent weak. so i simply dont view it as an issue; i will be happy to change my view if you provide evidence outweighing this, which i think is reasonable to say you need to give ~18 replays showing the acu was weak, then we would have a 66-75% majority in favor of your view.

if you want me to talk about the game, then while t1 land is marginally buffed in eq, its not that much stronger against acus, and acus do get a larger role later into the game due to how vet works there, and overall buffed upgrades. if you want to go all in with your acu, you can. however at some point that becomes a little dumb, so you get upgrades to continue being able to do that. in eq fighting with your acu into the t3 stage is more viable, and some nice gun or w.e. deals with t1 spam very well - just look at that replay of the keyser game where every player got at least 65 kills, and keyser got 115. do bear in mind that OC is stronger vs t1 in eq, and you can use it right from the start of the game.

about the drain rates:
thanks, glad you like it. its not totally simplified but it does bear an improvement since its easier. whats also interesting is that it makes working on the game balance easier as well since you know that ends are going to meet up when you put in changes, as the rest of the system has been cleaned up and rationalized.
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Postby Morax » 25 Aug 2017, 15:21

Do you mind if I see some 1v1 examples that were used to aid in the direction of changes?

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Postby Exotic_Retard » 25 Aug 2017, 16:05

i wouldnt really, but most replays end up desyncing or nonexistant due to being offline (easier to develop) or having a custom version of the mod

the tourney replays show how it was before, here are a couple i found: 6373251, 6372790 (these are 2v2 though)
and how it is after just have some terrible unrusting replays i played with armaster: 6685669, 6685553

i just picked these up randomly tbh, 99% of the games done are lost usually
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Postby Morax » 25 Aug 2017, 17:05

If you need 1v1 games in the future let me know and I'll play as a bind tester.

Also, I'm only asking because I am going to try and come up with a well-thought proposal for official balance. You guys have made several iterations though experience so I'm trying to get a good set of metrics on showing before/after effects.

Let's talk later!

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 25 Aug 2017, 18:46

Exotic_Retard wrote:99% of the games done are lost usually

What causes desyncs and corrupted replays?
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby PhilipJFry » 25 Aug 2017, 19:18

desyncs can be caused by not having the same files (eg mods) or when someone leaves the game and the game was not synced at the time
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby keyser » 25 Aug 2017, 20:30

"I was always annoyed to have to remember different mass drain rates for certain units." Fucking tryhard. Disgusting.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion