SACu conceptual rework

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: SACu conceptual rework

Postby IceDreamer » 19 May 2015, 07:10

Apofenas wrote:2) Give enchanted sensor system additional radar range and small HP and regen buff(may be make it into one upgrade tree and additionally place extra engineering upgrade somewhere)

I want one of these 'enchanted' sensor systems. Where can I find it, is there a sub-submenu? ;) :D
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Col_Walter_Kurtz » 19 May 2015, 09:58

Just fix the beam weapon missing.

I can't say I understand the need for about a total rework of every SCU. A tweak for the UEF rambo perhaps. But you hardly see SCU's of the other factions as combat units in current balance, so be careful and don't nerf the UEF rambo into oblivion.
Col_Walter_Kurtz
Priest

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 45 times
FAF User Name: Apocalypse_Now

Postby Apofenas » 19 May 2015, 10:43

Col_Walter_Kurtz wrote:Just fix the beam weapon missing.

I can't say I understand the need for about a total rework of every SCU. A tweak for the UEF rambo perhaps. But you hardly see SCU's of the other factions as combat units in current balance, so be careful and don't nerf the UEF rambo into oblivion.

Only aeon SCU is rarely seen. All other rambos are very strong. Uef rambo is strong both against t3 and t4, Cybran is stronger than uef against t3(stun and regen), but worse against t4 (not enough dps and hp); Seraphim is stronger than uef against t4 (overcharge), but weaker against t3 (high cost and big micro investments).

If your opponent makes SCUs, you will have to make your own ones unless those SCUs have some significant disadvantages that your t3/t4 units can use. SCU on SCU(non seraphim) witout additional support always take ages to kill each other especially if they are microed. An example is aeon nano combatant against cybran rambo - their nanos give more regen, than they can ever have dps. My last game with SCUs(Cybran vs UEF) had 10-15 minutes fight with t3 arty, t3 pds and loyalists involved.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby Col_Walter_Kurtz » 19 May 2015, 11:12

Well, I'm just reporting what I see in my level (1300 - 1500) and higher level replays that I watch (a good number including all casts). I rarely see anything else than UEF rambo's. Perhaps I'm wrong, or maybe the other rambo's are only good on paper.
Col_Walter_Kurtz
Priest

Postby Aurion » 19 May 2015, 11:33

Col_Walter_Kurtz wrote:Well, I'm just reporting what I see in my level (1300 - 1500) and higher level replays that I watch (a good number including all casts). I rarely see anything else than UEF rambo's. Perhaps I'm wrong, or maybe the other rambo's are only good on paper.

The UEF sACU is both the strongest one and the least micro-intensive, so I can understand that it's a clear favorite. Could perhaps use some balance tweaks in my opinion.
Aurion
Priest

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: NuclearPudding

Postby Iszh » 19 May 2015, 11:35

If you can fix the target bones anyhow i think it is fine like it is. Maybe reduce damage a little bit for uef scu or remove splash. But instead of making them more weak you could use them as a mild fa gameender. Just watch how nuke is done. If you could spam them it would be not fair. Do the same for Scu, increase built cost of Gates to 5k mass and provide them 1050 built power. Increase the built time needed for scu to a value which makes them beeing built in the actual built time by this insane built power. It means if you get a gate you get every 3-4 minutes a bonus unit which is stronger than usual units but you cannot spam it because you cannt reach this crazy built power to do it. It behaves like nuke. For Scu i think that would be a cool thing.

On the other hand i hardly ever have seen somebody with more than 10 Scu at once it was still possible to stop this somehow. To get lots of scu is already difficult. I also would like a minor change to adept this because there is no remake needed, they are fine, welcome and nice to see them finally after years of not beeing used :D
Iszh
Evaluator

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 126 times
FAF User Name: Iszh

Postby Col_Walter_Kurtz » 19 May 2015, 11:59

But an SCU obviously does not have the destructive power of a nuke, which is a long distance weapon with only 1 dedicated counter. They can't be compared. It's like saying T4's should build slow like a nuke too.

IMO it's simply about the timing of different forces with similar strength (T4's vs 2-3 SCU's, enough air to stop any of those, etc.). As long as that balance isn't wrong you should not mess with the build times of SCU's. Anyone can make a T4 at around the time the first SCU rolls off the belt, so why change it so drastically.
Col_Walter_Kurtz
Priest

Postby Iszh » 19 May 2015, 12:02

If all units could hit those units without problems i cannot see any reason to change anything. Even uef scus as the most powerful are far from beeing op if they could be hit. the builttime suggestion was just to limit the number atm to reduce this problem if the other problem cannot be fixed.
Iszh
Evaluator

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 126 times
FAF User Name: Iszh

Postby Apofenas » 19 May 2015, 12:29

This is not exactly the problem, but part of it. For example take sera rambos. Yes, experimentals sometimes can't hit them propertly, but 2 sera SCUs wouldn't care about GC or ythota even with fixed hitboxes. So as cybran rambos wouldn't care about percivals as their stun and crazy regen allows to fight percies really well; with fixed hitboxes it will become more micro intensive and risky in bigger numbers(one-shot problem), but SCUs will most likely be winning those battles.
Spoiler: show
With current balance titans with mobile shields do better than percivals, which is kinda funny

Though the uef rambo will get nerfed because it's simple combat unit and hasn't such unique toys as stun/regen or overcharge/regen.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby speed2 » 19 May 2015, 12:40

With current balance titans with mobile shields do better than percivals, which is kinda funny.

Really? Is this some kind of joke or was this meant seriously??
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion