ASF fly higher than Ahwassa

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: ASF fly higher than Ahwassa

Postby nakeddave » 14 Apr 2015, 13:47

IceDreamer wrote:We have access to the flight mechanics. We have access to everything that happens to the bomb once dropped, including altering the type of drop path it takes, and where it is *aimed*
nakeddave
Crusader

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: nakeddave

Postby IceDreamer » 14 Apr 2015, 19:05

nakeddave wrote:Where does this code live? I've got a theory and lots of free time :)

Flight mechanics are in the unit blueprint. The bomb trajectory is in lua/sim/CalcBallisticAcceleration.lua. Projectile behavior is in the projectile blueprint and script.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby E8400-CV » 16 Apr 2015, 19:26

IceDreamer wrote:I agree with Cen about the hoverbomb issue, but I can't reduce the range on the bomber without messing the whole non-drop thing up even worse. Question is: Can we make SAMs both longer range and faster projectile without breaking things?

I may look into lowering the braking speed on the bomber, that MAY force it to fly into range when you stop it...

Stopping a bomber abruptly mid-air is nonsense anyway. I'm fine with that being removed
E8400-CV
Evaluator

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: jcvjcvjcvjcv

Postby Ceneraii » 16 Apr 2015, 19:49

E8400-CV wrote:Stopping a bomber abruptly mid-air is nonsense anyway. I'm fine with that being removed

Yeah, makes no sense at all ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 1Az0#t=246
Ceneraii

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: Ceneraii

Postby keyser » 16 Apr 2015, 20:14

ah ah that's for all those guy complaining about hover bomber ! xD
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby E8400-CV » 16 Apr 2015, 20:18

Ceneraii wrote:
E8400-CV wrote:Stopping a bomber abruptly mid-air is nonsense anyway. I'm fine with that being removed

Did you see 'abruptly'?

I have no problem with an Ahwassa taking 50 seconds to go from flightspeed to hover. :D
E8400-CV
Evaluator

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: jcvjcvjcvjcv

Postby Ceneraii » 16 Apr 2015, 20:25

The argument from realism is retarded to begin with, that was kind of my point.
Ceneraii

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: Ceneraii

Postby theeggroll » 16 Apr 2015, 21:00

E8400-CV wrote:
Ceneraii wrote:

Did you see 'abruptly'?

I have no problem with an Ahwassa taking 50 seconds to go from flightspeed to hover. :D

Dude, this is a futuristic setting. This whole "planes not being able to hover" bullshit is pointless. So you know what cymbalists are? A human brain planted in an artificial implant or something like that (havent watched the intro video in a while), so thats 100% possible but a plane being able to stop and hover? Ridiculous!

Ever seen star Trek? They go faster than the speed of light. Is that possible? Nope. But its set in the future and therefore there might be this thing called new technology that does shit that we cant do today. Im typing this message on a laptop, when computers first came out, do you think people foresaw the fact that they could be as portable as they are today? Probably not. So MAYBE, just MAYBE, in the future there are planes that can stop. Wow, mind blown right? Get over yourselfs.
GMT - 6 http://spooky.github.io/unitdb/#/
When in doubt, Blame Gorton
theeggroll
Priest

Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 98 times
FAF User Name: theeggroll

Postby Zoram » 16 Apr 2015, 21:42

Ceneraii wrote:The argument from realism is retarded to begin with, that was kind of my point.

The argument of realism might be "retarded", but the argument of consistency would not be.

Bombers hovering through some gimmick is inconsistent with the behavior of planes in this game. The only way to make them hover is some nitpicky clicking that by no way you would intentionnally do without prior knowledge (you don't have to click 2mm behind the helicopters to make them stay in place). The expected behavior of the planes to shoot twice the same sport is to do a large circle to come back to the same spot.

The programmers might have taken a shortcut to allow planes to land on stations without having to simulate a long ass trajectory down, which results in the ability to abuse it, it seems fairly obvious that it is an unintended side effect.

If it's not, adding a button 'hover mode' to remove the tedious micro should be a natural future patch goal.
Zoram
Priest

Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 111 times
FAF User Name: zoram

Postby theeggroll » 17 Apr 2015, 00:03

Zoram wrote:
Ceneraii wrote:The argument from realism is retarded to begin with, that was kind of my point.

The argument of realism might be "retarded", but the argument of consistency would not be.

Bombers hovering through some gimmick is inconsistent with the behavior of planes in this game. The only way to make them hover is some nitpicky clicking that by no way you would intentionnally do without prior knowledge (you don't have to click 2mm behind the helicopters to make them stay in place). The expected behavior of the planes to shoot twice the same sport is to do a large circle to come back to the same spot.

The programmers might have taken a shortcut to allow planes to land on stations without having to simulate a long ass trajectory down, which results in the ability to abuse it, it seems fairly obvious that it is an unintended side effect.

If it's not, adding a button 'hover mode' to remove the tedious micro should be a natural future patch goal.

You say that planes never stop and go into hover mode? what happens when you send some intis to a specific spot? They go there, stop, hover, and then land. If a little micro is involved to manipulate that effect, big whoop.
GMT - 6 http://spooky.github.io/unitdb/#/
When in doubt, Blame Gorton
theeggroll
Priest

Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 98 times
FAF User Name: theeggroll

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion