ASF fly higher than Ahwassa

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: ASF fly higher than Ahwassa

Postby codepants » 10 Apr 2015, 04:21

Ceneraii wrote:P.S. Why do people always ignore it when you point out serious faults in their reasoning? I hate it when that happens :(

Lol, you are just now pointing out faults in my reasoning, and I don't plan on ignoring them. Now that you're actually addressing the point I was making I find I agree with you for the most part. I still don't like that a few seconds of micro can decide a game, but my disliking it doesn't defeat the principle. I think your opinion is biased since you are obviously very good at micro and want to keep that advantage over other people. But this isn't about micro. Plus, I hoverbomb from time to time.

Though, sometimes people don't see the faults. Perspective is everything.

Ceneraii wrote:I think the phrasing of "should a unit blablabla its counter" is very vague

(I would argue that you are ignoring that I am pointing out a serious fault in your reasoning...) This isn't really something you can dismiss. It's a core principle of the game. Balanced mass efficiency means a balanced game. If you spend 500 mass on something, there should be something else worth roughly 500 mass that can kill it (including trading mass, perhaps, for range, speed, whatever -- eg, a unit might cost less if it moves slowly, it might cost more if it has more range, or it might cost the same if it moves slowly but has more range). That's all I'm saying. It's why ilshies are so OP -- about twice as powerful as any other t2 tank -- they cost twice the mass. If something wasn't worth the mass nobody would build it, and if something was more powerful than the mass you put into it people would build that unit all the time. The phrase "A unit shouldn't be able to mass efficiently counter its counter" is one of the core principles of the game. It's why you build flak when you're worried about gunships: gunships can't mass efficiently counter flak. It's why you build inties against bombers, antinukes against nukes, etc. etc. It's cheaper to build the counter unit than it is for your opponent to build more of the unit being countered. If it wasn't, the game wouldn't work.

So what I am saying is that AWs cost the same as 120 ASF, and for AWs to be able to kill 120 ASF without dying (indeed, vetting enough to get almost full health back) means the AW violates that principle. That, in my opinion, is an exploit. Call it whatever you want (I'd rather not argue semantics), but it's taking advantage of something that probably wasn't intended to be the way it is. I really like the physics engine and I think there's a lot of cool things about it. But if we discovered that building a nuke at a certain height made it invincible to an antinuke because of [insert physics here], then despite how cool that is, I'm not sure that is something we'd choose to keep in the game (I'm not sure... depends on how cool it is :) ).

Anyways, I partly agree with you, and I partly do not. No, we do not see people building AWs for the express purpose of getting air control. Yes, it is a complement to the physics engine, but it would continue to be so if the AW flew below the ASF (and arguably, it is another exploit in that it kills the ASF but does not damage itself. Try launching a nuke at itself...). Yes, people should get rewarded for micro, and suffer consequences for doing things like flying under bombs. But you've still failed to hit the core of the issue, which is that a unit worth 48,000 mass can kill the number of units worth 48,000 mass which are expressly designed and intended to kill it. You would think the designer of the ASF, rather than relying on his or her pilots to fly out of the way, would simply make the ASF fly a little higher. Since that would cause other balance issues, I'm suggesting the AW flies a little lower.

Whatever the resolution, thanks for spelling out your case and arguing so civilly.
codepants
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: codepants

Postby The Mak » 10 Apr 2015, 07:29

Just so we are all clear, the Ahwassa flies at an elevation of 25 units above the ground. An ASF flies at 20 units. The Ahwassa bomb has a damage radius of 20 units. The bomb also travels at the same forward speed as the Ahwassa as it is falling to the ground. So if you use the bomb against ASF’s, it will happen right under the Ahwassa at a distance of 5 units down. The Ahwassa takes no damage at all from its own bomb.

You can also use the Ahwassa to bomb a Czar which also flies at 25 units above the ground, just need good timing or hit a shield below the Czar.

If we are for the basic physics, then the Ahwassa should take damage from its own bomb if it is in damage range. The fact that it does not is because when an Ahwassa bombs shields the bomb blast would strike the Ahwassa (I think all bombers have the same behavior).

This is clearly the case of a game mechanic that was introduced to address a specific scenario and is now being used as an exploit.
The Mak
Contributor

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 39 times
FAF User Name: The_Mak

Postby Aurion » 10 Apr 2015, 11:30

Can't we make the explosion radius not spherical, but more like an ellipsoid? I don't know if this is possible but that way you could make the Ahwassa damage itself as well if it hits ASFs. I'm afraid that would only be a minor penalty though, because of veterancy.
Aurion
Priest

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: NuclearPudding

Postby nakeddave » 10 Apr 2015, 16:24

The argument from realism, or 'this is just what happens with physical simulation', is flimsy at best.

It conveniently ignores the fact that this trick only works because the planes fly at fixed heights, and are somehow capable of stopping in midair, and that planes obviously collide with bombs, but not with eachother. And the bomb doesn't hurt the bomber. And that bombers are somehow capable of instantly repairing all damage depending on what their bomb hits.
nakeddave
Crusader

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: nakeddave

Postby IceDreamer » 10 Apr 2015, 17:00

The reason I don't want to disable this is because I can see a clear contradiction here: I seriously don't think those complaining would be if this action had a penalty to the AW instead of a straight buff. The problem is not the fact that this can happen. All the arguments about mass efficient countering etc are smoke and mirrors, this happens so rarely that it's irrelevant. The real problems are that it doesn't hurt itself, and that the veterancy system is dumb. If it did full self damage, and didn't vet up, I really don't think we'd be having this conversation.

Options:

Make the bomber fly lower - Can't be done, as it severely messes with drop chance
Make ASF fly higher - Can't be done, as it severely messes with the balance of ASF vs AA, particularly Flack
Make the bomb pass through planes - Can be done, but kills a bit of what makes supcom special. Also won't fully fix the issue, AW users will just find a shield to use as an explosive wall. Will be rarer, but will still occur.
Enable self damage - Can be done, but weakens the AW overall and promotes hovering once it has launched, which I don't think is a good idea.
Fix the dumbass veterancy system - Can be done. Needs to be done.
Enable self damage when the bomb impacts a plane in the air - Can be done. Complex but for this unit lag concerns are minimal. My personal first port of call, defaulting back to the previous two if it can't be made to work properly.

Those are the options as I see it guys!
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Exotic_Retard » 10 Apr 2015, 17:13

also : give asf resistance to damage of ahwassa bomb - so it only deals 10% damage to them - needing 2 shots to kill them
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby Zoram » 10 Apr 2015, 17:34

What about ( if possible ) disabling the ability for planes to hover, which they were clearly never designed to do.
Zoram
Priest

Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 111 times
FAF User Name: zoram

Postby quark036 » 10 Apr 2015, 18:22

The discussion of hovering raises a lot more questions/arguments than just this one, so it should probably be discussed in another thread. I agree with Sako-add another modifier to the asf so that the ahwassa can't one shot them. If it took out about half the health, I think that would be good. It would take out damaged planes, and someone who just lost half their health on their asf ball is likely to be more cautious about approaching the ahwassa. It punishes someone for not paying attention at all to their planes attacking the bomber, but it isn't as bad of a punishment, because you don't insta-lose all your air. If you let it happen to yourself again, then I'd say that's your fault.
quark036

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 26 times
FAF User Name: Quark036

Postby IceDreamer » 10 Apr 2015, 19:37

Zoram wrote:What about ( if possible ) disabling the ability for planes to hover, which they were clearly never designed to do.

Not possible: Air staging makes this necessary.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby ZeRen » 10 Apr 2015, 20:47

IceDreamer wrote:
Zoram wrote:What about ( if possible ) disabling the ability for planes to hover, which they were clearly never designed to do.

Not possible: Air staging makes this necessary.

disable bomb drop when plane is hovering?
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion