T1 land scouts

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

T1 land scouts

Postby FunkOff » 28 May 2020, 11:03

Land scouts are basically paper units. They are extremely cheap to build (8-12 mass?!) and die to one shot from basically anything. It seems very strange that such a critical unit (Auroras, Mongeese, Hoppies, and Illshovas all need them) is such a piece of junk, so they should be improved. I say we should rebalance T1 land scouts to be more interesting.

General:
- Increase cost to 20-25 mass per
- Increase vision/radar range ~10%
- increase health to ~50-100
- Increase damage to 10-20

Aeon:
- Aeon needs its scouts the most, so it should have the cheapest scouts at 20 mass
- Aeon scouts should have a DPS improvement so a small raiding party of 2-3 of them could reasonably kill an undefended engineer (but would probably lose to 1 or 2 LABs)

Cybran:
- Because the Mole has no gun, it should remain cheap at 20 mass
- Additional radar range will make it easily the best scout

UEF:
- Because UEF scout has no cloak/stealth and is not amphibious, it should have highest health and DPS of all scouts, letting it beat all other scouts in 1v1

Seraphim:
- No changes needed, as their scout is in a good place with it's special ability.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Re: T1 land scouts

Postby Cetea » 15 Jun 2020, 22:18

Personally I'd rather they remove the gun from the aeon scout (or set them to hold fire by default), so they stop attacking things if you have them assist a tank, then just control the tank.
Cetea
Crusader

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Cetea

Postby ZLO_RD » 15 Jun 2020, 22:36

Cetea wrote:Personally I'd rather they remove the gun from the aeon scout (or set them to hold fire by default), so they stop attacking things if you have them assist a tank, then just control the tank.

You can't even do that with mole, they added some sort of fake ranged weapon to it, so if you accidentally attack move with it to enemy it will stop at a range, but now if you order to assist a mantis, mole will agro on nearby units and stop and stare at them and attempt to chase them and stuff like that, pretty annoying indeed. ideal would be to fix assist, or introduce some some sort of "follow" commad.
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby Cetea » 16 Jun 2020, 22:41

I did not know that about the mole! In a perfect world, I'd agree with fixing assist for sure, but that sounds like it'd take quite a lot of dev time, so maybe as a quick fix we could just remove the fake gun (and ideally the real guns) from the scouts aside from the selens obviously (because that gun is actually useful), so that way they just follow units around when you give them an assist order? I know engineers follow a commander if you make them assist a commander, and then move the latter around, so clearly the code already exists as long as the unit has no weapons.
Cetea
Crusader

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Cetea

Postby Dragun101 » 08 Jul 2020, 15:38

I’d personally like to see Scouts more or less kept as is. Only thing I’d like to see is Snoops get Jamming. Because Jamming is a heavily underutilized mechanic. Make it cost 5 energy like the mole cloaking if balance is a concern.
Dragun101
Crusader

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Dragun101

Postby IceDreamer » 10 Jul 2020, 04:00

Clearly the answer to this is ScoutWars...
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Return to Balance Discussion