Hives need a nerf

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Hives need a nerf

Postby UnorthodoxBox » 29 May 2020, 06:11

Maybe I am not understanding what was written, but is it being said that observation causes differences in sim speed?
UnorthodoxBox

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: Box-

Postby Cascade » 29 May 2020, 06:17

big brain thread
Cascade

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Cascade

Postby biass » 29 May 2020, 06:23

I can!

You shouldn't be playing FAF in your hospital. You could get distracted by the heart rate monitor in the back and lose focus.

It's best if we just leave it up to OP to provide video evidence. We could also check for errors in his hardware this way.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Uveso » 29 May 2020, 06:31

biass wrote:It's best if we just leave it up to OP to provide video evidence. We could also check for errors in his hardware this way.

Perfect !
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 291 times
FAF User Name: Uveso

Postby Endranii » 29 May 2020, 06:53

But what if Gap suffers from time dilation?
Endranii

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 50 times
FAF User Name: Empty_Spot

Postby mr_blastman » 29 May 2020, 07:14

UnorthodoxBox wrote:Maybe I am not understanding what was written, but is it being said that observation causes differences in sim speed?

Observation will cause the wave function to collapse and compromise reality.
mr_blastman

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Mr_Blastman

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 03 Jun 2020, 00:46

This discusion kind of miss a point.

Why is hive good compare to kennel is that kennel drones fall down by AA, and build new cost mass, energy and time.
And because kennel have 20br for 550m hive have 25br for 350m, so its about double effectiveness.

So hive is twice as good as kennel. But both of them are still worse as engineer. So I guess its fine.
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby ZLO_RD » 03 Jun 2020, 17:02

In dune 2 units were moving faster when you were looking at them (source http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/DOS/Dune2.html). Maybe aeon or seraphim can hijack this technology and make an eye (similar to Rhiza eye) that would look at units and buildings and boost their BP :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby Steel_Panther » 03 Jun 2020, 21:19

his discusion kind of miss a point.

Why is hive good compare to kennel is that kennel drones fall down by AA, and build new cost mass, energy and time.
And because kennel have 20br for 550m hive have 25br for 350m, so its about double effectiveness.

So hive is twice as good as kennel. But both of them are still worse as engineer. So I guess its fine.

Yes, this is the point. Hives have a limited range, whereas kennels have essentially unlimited range, although they move fairly slowly. For the cost I think kennels are almost always a bad idea, but hives are only a bit more expensive than engineers (5 t1 engies of build power for the cost of 6.7 engies), and are so much more convenient because pathfinding in this game is Supreme Garbage, that they are very nice to use. Because you don't need to use factory build power or lose time for the roll off of engineers, or time for engineers to move into position, they do allow you to ramp up build power much faster, and also stack a lot more bp in a compact area than t1 engies (and you often wont end up with a whole lot of t3 engineers that would be similarly compact, but still less compact that fully upgraded hives). The slightly higher mass cost isn't much of a downside to building them, so long as you will continue to have a use for this immobile build power in that location.

Overall, I wouldn't say that they are OP. Maybe making them cost 7.5 t1 engies for 5 t1 engies of build power would be a small, but an appropriate nerf. But to me, the real problem to fix is pathfinding.
Steel_Panther

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 19 times
FAF User Name: Steel_Panther

Postby Spy_Emanciator » 07 Jun 2020, 14:01

Yes the issues is in the reinvestment potential of hives vs other forms. I'd like it to be possible for all factions to get a nuke off on a rush timing (eg 4 t3 mex, then rush nuke out with optimum production scaling).

The typical style for seraphrim/aeon is using t2 factories to build t1 engineers (either 2 or 3) to assist factories or build experimentals, but with nuke there literally isn't enough space for engineer range to assist the nuke. This leaves you fast building t2 or t3 engineers and with the roll-off timings and the time building these extra factories, its just not possible to match the cybran timing. The unassisted production of hives upgrading themselves seems to be the issue and I think either a time nerf or a production nerf on the hives could remedy this without really changing much else.
Spy_Emanciator

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times
FAF User Name: Spy_Emanciator

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion