Ground to Naval power projection

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Ground to Naval power projection

Postby seaeagle1 » 13 Apr 2020, 23:32

I'm just a big noob, but while getting to (re)learn the game, I've been wondering whether I'm missing something, if there's an intentional choice or if there's just an option missing. So perhaps you can enlighten me here:

It seem to me that there's a fairly decent 'power projection' between the various domains of the FAF battlefield: (mobile or static) AA/SAMs can deny airspace pretty well, Airplanes can wreak havoc on land or on sea and Navies have powerful AA and long-range land-attack options. This means that if you dominate one of these domains, you can use it to attack another, but the opposing party can still mount a decent defence if he/she's in sufficient control of that other domain (ie. you can win air and bomb stuff with strats, but the other player can deny you areas by building/parking a bunch of AA).

But I'm having a bit of a problem finding a good land-to-sea (denial) weapon... T2 artillery seems to be the primary option, but so far it seems like you need to build a considerable battery to make a piece of sea seriously dangerous, and even then it's typically just outranged by cruise-missiles. I've had some success with the Aeon T2 PD against frigates due to its range, since that's virtually the same weapon as on the destroyer. Hover-tanks seem to be able to do a decent job in a pinch, but that also depends a lot on the composition of the fleet you're dealing with (ie. if there's ships with a high rate of fire in there). So far the best option I've seen is the HARMS, which is sub-to-surface, but is Cybran-only and well, not exactly on land.

Shouldn't there be something like a shore-to-ship missile? In the real-world guided missiles like the Exocet or Harpoon seem to be the primary anti-ship weapons and thoroughly feared as a sea-denial tool within their range.
seaeagle1

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: SeaEagle1

Re: Ground to Naval power projection

Postby Deribus » 14 Apr 2020, 05:13

Land and sea are usually not directly in opposition because (for the most part) they cant enter one another's domain. Hence the response when having lost naval control is usually torp bomber spam.

That said, all factions except Cybran have access to hover in one way or another. In fact, hover land used to be so dominant against navy that their speed over water had to be nerfed. Never underestimate the power of a dozen factories continually spewing zthuees into an ocean.
Deribus

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Deribus

Postby Katharsas » 14 Apr 2020, 15:12

Navy will overwhelm land and and be safe against air long term most of the time. On a lot of water focused maps loosing navy is almost equivalent to loosing the game. This is also because if you loose navy, you usually also loose access to the reclaim from navy wrecks which is brutal because you need that reclaim in PvP to win. So don't loose navy.

Counters to navy:
- Hover units (not mass efficient at all if your opponent knows how to react)
- Torp bombers/Gunships (only mass efficient until opponent builds enough cruisers/air carriers/ASF/frigates)
- T2 arty (only mass efficient if your opponent parks his navy in your arty range for some time without killing the arty)
- Nuke (only mass efficient if you hit enough high value targets)
- Cyrban SACUS walking underwater spamming T3 torpedos and defenseiv structures like SAM/TMD (probably not mass efficient but it may allow you to get your navy factories back up if they were killed).

You can delay your land base death with Aeon TMD quite a bit. Maybe enough to build an air snipe. But in general, just building land units will make you loose any water focused map.
Katharsas

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 34 times
FAF User Name: Katharsas

Postby vongratz » 14 Apr 2020, 19:42

seaeagle1 wrote:
But I'm having a bit of a problem finding a good land-to-sea (denial) weapon... T2 artillery seems to be the primary option, but so far it seems like you need to build a considerable battery to make a piece of sea seriously dangerous, and even then it's typically just outranged by cruise-missiles.

One of first hints in the screen is to build TMDs , that will block the cruise-missiles, and the T2 navies, to bombard you, will need to get the gun range.
vongratz

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby LabPunk » 28 Apr 2020, 22:09

You're not supposed to mass effectively counter navy from land.
LabPunk

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Marximum

Postby Bennis- » 13 May 2020, 18:16

Navy takes a considerable upfront mass investment before it has an impact in the game. That because ships build slowly, move slowly etc. Therefore it's just fair that it can't essily be beaten by some ground buildings or Units that an you could theoretically spawn very fast with high build power. I think it's fair that navy is so strong, it's the main win condition for large maps like setons and that makes for interesting gameplay.
Bennis-

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 30 times
FAF User Name: Bennis

Return to Balance Discussion