Beta patch discussion - and asfs

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Beta patch discussion - and asfs

Postby FunkOff » 09 Apr 2020, 20:43

All the changes look good except the ASF nerf. ASFs have needed a good rework since forever, and it's still hard to believe somebody once decided the most spammed unit in FAF needed to be made somehow CHEAPER.

I propose a simple change to ASFs be added to the patch: Double ASF cost, build time, and damage. This will reduce the asf clouds we see and make them cost more like a T3 unit (700 mass) than a T2 unit (350 mass is less than a fighter bomber! And about the same as a T1 sub!)

Other changes will be interesting, particularly the Chicken death weapon being 70k now. Could probably suicide it to kill a megalith.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Re: Beta patch discussion - and asfs

Postby keyser » 09 Apr 2020, 21:19

asf aren't made cheaper.
70k as death weapon is obviously a typo in patchnote.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby FunkOff » 09 Apr 2020, 22:44

Asf used to be 400 mass long ago
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby keyser » 10 Apr 2020, 00:27

https://github.com/FAForever/fa/commit/ ... 27b96c99ce

well it's 7 years ago, and it was already overall a nerf at this time.

On the current patch we are nerfing the ASF again. I think going step by step is better, than doing a big rework, on such a crucial unit.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Elusive » 10 Apr 2020, 07:05

Nerfing the speed on ASF is a nice change, its an indirect buff to t4 air that I think is badly needed. But I dont know I feel about the build time nerf, that really doesnt change spamability much at all, and may cause regaining air control even harder as recovering from lost airfights will take even longer.
Im glad ASFs are getting nerfed, but I cant help but feel the exact changes are like someone is trying to step around the issues instead of actually fixing them.

As for the rest of the changes, A+. Cant wait to try guncom+regen field seraph acu.
Elusive
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Elusive

Postby Rowey » 10 Apr 2020, 11:16

keyser wrote:70k as death weapon is obviously a typo in patchnote.

We notice over on Brnks Discord where we we discussing alot of the changes so i fixed the Patchnote in a zip file so we can see the Correct valuses that were intended xD
Rowey
Contributor

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 71 times
FAF User Name: Rowey

Postby advena » 10 Apr 2020, 12:48

As I expected hover tanks are getting buffs that bring them to 1.5 - 1.7 dps*hp/mass^2 values. I suggest partially reverting wagner nerf to put it in line with changes (now it in 1.35)
advena
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: advena

Postby LabPunk » 14 Apr 2020, 22:19

The one thing which really annoys me is the Percy changes.I literally don't understand why the devs want to give it less Alpha strike.
LabPunk

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Marximum

Postby ThomasHiatt » 15 Apr 2020, 00:24

LabPunk wrote:The one thing which really annoys me is the Percy changes.I literally don't understand why the devs want to give it less Alpha strike.

Well the Percy used to have even less alpha strike before the T3 rebalance in 3696, this change is just halfway undoing the change made in the t3 rebalance patch. I'm actually not sure how numbers like .23 per second and .25 per second fire-rate even work when the engine has discrete timesteps every 0.1 seconds. Seems like the balance team completely ignores the reality of the engine and just makes the numbers multiply together to keep the same dps, which I think is a bad strategy. Ideally, all the units would have a fire rate the engine can actually perform without any rounding so it is easier to reason about their behavior. Anyway, less damage and higher fire-rate is exactly what the Percival needs I think. Right now they always end up shooting the first thing to come into their range which is often some random scout or t1 arty or something, then they take a long time to reload to finally shoot at the opposing bricks. That wasted shot ends up making them quite bad when they have such a long reload time.
ThomasHiatt

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 110 times
FAF User Name: ThomasHiatt

Postby ThomasHiatt » 15 Apr 2020, 05:28

So the Percy change is actually good in regards to cleaning up fire rate mistakes, but the Harb change is very misleading. A 1.85 fire rate is the same as a 2.0 fire rate. 1/1.85 = 0.540540 and 1/2 = 0.5, both are equal to 5 ticks between shots when truncated to the nearest tick. I think it is very bad to choose some arbitrary 1.85 fire rate number and put it in the patch notes and blueprint since it will make everyone (and the unit DB) think it has less DPS than it really does, 296 vs 320.
ThomasHiatt

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 110 times
FAF User Name: ThomasHiatt

Next

Return to Balance Discussion