Leaderboards suggest an Aeon buff?

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Leaderboards suggest an Aeon buff?

Postby nimb777 » 26 Mar 2020, 06:07

Hi all,
I've checked the leaderboards and to me it shows how unplayed and underscored Aeon is.
That just reinforced my opinion that Aeon needs a buff.
Here's what I think would be good to make aeon the best faction and less of a micro sink, more player friendly and not so niche and squared to play:

T1 land:
Auroras have very poor ground control. Lowering their range and fixing their hp to the lower range of the other tanks, with a little buff to speed and turn rate - to make them wiggle less when given a move command or so.
Fervors are useless in combat. They need AOE and a fix to make them actually fire on units and help auroras counter mixed armies.
T1 AA is useless when the target is more to the outside of the weapon range. It needs more muzzle speed and hp to the likes of other T1 AA tanks.
T2 land:
Obsidians need to be more suitable for other roles other than t2 tank counter, to the likes of 3x ROF, more move and turret speed, and maybe a cost reduction.
Blazes need less ROF and more range, to the likes of Moongeese or so.
T3 land:
Harbs need range to be able to kite and make them more useful vs other t3 and some t2 tanks.
Sniper bot could have a little more speed, ROF and manouverabillity.

T1 air:
Bombers need a fix to prevent them going upside down.
T2 air:
Swift Winds should be able to attack ground targets like the other t2 fighters.
T3 air:
Bombers need a way to snipe coms better. It is a lot easier to avoid the aeon bombs than the other faction's bombers.

T1 navy:
AA boat needs a lot of extra hp to be actually worth building.
T2 navy:
Destroyers need 2x ROF.
Cruisers need range on their ground weapon just like the other cruisers.
T3 navy:
Battleships, obviously useless because of lack of range. Should have better ROF to differentiate from Tempest.

Structures:
T2 PD should get 2x ROF to make it waste less DPS versus T1.
Shields should be either bigger or stronger. It is a big structure and in comparison UEF shields have a lot more surface area.

Experimentals:
Czar could use a shield and better move speed to make it stronger vs t2 flak and T1 AA. Whould't hurt to have a smaller blueprint.
Tempest could also use a smaller blueprint and more speed so it can kite navy a bit.

That's just my oppinion and I hope this post doesn't get flamed.
I also hope this could add more variety to FAF and make the leaderboards more evenly distributed.
Regards.
Last edited by nimb777 on 26 Mar 2020, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
nimb777
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Leaderboards suggest an Aeon buff?

Postby ZLO_RD » 26 Mar 2020, 08:26

nimb777 wrote:T1 land:
T1 AA is useless when the target is more to the outside of the weapon range. It needs more muzzle speed and hp to the likes of other T1 AA tanks.

all t1 maa have same muzzle velocity except for cybran

many of your other points are just suggesting to completely remove faction divercity. People just don't dare to do that. (aurora, obsidian, t2 destroyer, cruisers, swist wings, t2 pds
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby nimb777 » 26 Mar 2020, 09:22

many of your other points are just suggesting to completely remove faction divercity.

I understand that but I'm not arguing to completelly remove diversity.
In those cases you mentioned its a diversity that is prejudicial to the faction.
Lowering alpha and still making it the highest won't hurt diversity and still help make it a better faction, more inviting to all players.
Thus my point is that "diversity" is hurting the faction to a standstill.
Also your rebuff was more of a denial, totally off the topic.
nimb777
Crusader

Postby Elusive » 26 Mar 2020, 09:47

nimb777 wrote:Auroras have very poor ground control. Lowering their range and fixing their hp to the lower range of the other tanks, with a little buff to speed and turn rate - to make them wiggle less when given a move command or so.

While they are micro heavy and I understand you do desire to reduce the micro needed to play aeon, the aurora is not a bad unit in its role of fighting other t1 land units. Your sugestion is to just make it into a genric t1 tank and I strongly disagree with that notion. If the aurora needed a balance pass I woulnt mind it becoming more generic, but I think its fine as is.

nimb777 wrote:Fervors are useless in combat. They need AOE and a fix to make them actually fire on units and help auroras counter mixed armies.

This is a bit of a tough one because the fervor is not really intended to be used against units unlike other factions t1 arty. It has the highest dps of any t1 arty but the smallest aoe, heavily encorageing players to use it an an anti-fortifation role, which it excels at. If it did recive a buff to aoe it would need a huge nerf in another aspect or it would be broken.

nimb777 wrote:Obsidians need to be more suitable for other roles other than t2 tank counter, to the likes of 3x ROF, more move and turret speed, and maybe a cost reduction.

Obsidians do have a neiche use as a powerful transport drop. A t2 transport with Obsidians is a terrifying thing to find sudenly on your doorstep. But otherwise I largely agree, they are limited in usefulness and it would be nice if they had other uses.

nimb777 wrote:Blazes need less ROF and more range, to the likes of Moongeese or so.

I like this change, changeing it to some kind of fire support hover tank would be an interesting addition to the aeon army.

nimb777 wrote:Swift Winds should be able to attack ground targets like the other t2 fighters.

No. The Swift wind is a dedicated air to air fighter. The air to ground bombing is ocupied quite satisfactorily by the Mercy. Also just as a side note, the other factions dont have t2 fighters, they have t2 bombers which also happen to have aa weapons.

nimb777 wrote:AA boat needs a lot of extra hp to be actually worth building.

I agree that the aa boat could do with a buff, its usefullness is very limited even in its intended use.

nimb777 wrote:Destroyers need 2x ROF.

Im sorry, what? Do you intend to streight up double their dps or do you mean to keep the dps the same but just make it less of an alpha damage weapon?

nimb777 wrote:Cruisers need range on their ground weapon just like the other cruisers.

Can you please clarify what 'ground weapon' is? Their primary naval weapon has the same range as the UEF one, along with higher dps. If your talking about TML, then it doesnt have one at all.

nimb777 wrote:Battleships, obviously useless because of lack of range. Should have better ROF to differentiate from Tempest.

I agree that aeon battleships and tempests could do with more to differentiate them, I am not so sure that a rof boost would help. The battleship already fires nearly twice as fast anyway.

nimb777 wrote:T2 PD should get 2x ROF to make it waste less DPS versus T1.

Use t1 pd along with t2 pd. They both cover each others weaknesses very well. When not dealing with t1 units the high alpha damage is often a benefit more then a detreiment.

nimb777 wrote:Shields should be either bigger or stronger. It is a big structure and in comparison UEF shields have a lot more surface area.

Aeon shields are cheap and very strong, the low size is a nesicary balance for this. If they dic cover more area they would need significant nerfs in other areas.

nimb777 wrote:Czar could use a shield and better move speed to make it stronger vs t2 flak and T1 AA. Whould't hurt to have a smaller blueprint.

Actually it is getting a shield. But I agree on the other two.

nimb777 wrote:Tempest could also use a smaller blueprint and more speed so it can kite navy a bit.

Honestly if the tempest could kite better it would be overpowered, its already very strong anyway.
Elusive
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Elusive

Postby nimb777 » 26 Mar 2020, 11:19

While they are micro heavy and I understand you do desire to reduce the micro needed to play aeon, the aurora is not a bad unit in its role of fighting other t1 land units. Your sugestion is to just make it into a genric t1 tank and I strongly disagree with that notion. If the aurora needed a balance pass I woulnt mind it becoming more generic, but I think its fine as is.
I think they are fine and fun, but they can completelly lose purpose when they have to retreat too much and expose bases and so. too many tanks opposing them and they retreat too fast, too far. It's not the unit fault per se, but a combination of map, damage and move speed that makes them defeatable every time under certain circumstances. My guess for optimal balance is 22 range for 210 hp or 20 range for 240 hp, preferably the first to keep them kitey.

This is a bit of a tough one because the fervor is not really intended to be used against units unlike other factions t1 arty. It has the highest dps of any t1 arty but the smallest aoe, heavily encorageing players to use it an an anti-fortifation role, which it excels at. If it did recive a buff to aoe it would need a huge nerf in another aspect or it would be broken.
Arties are excellent on mixed armies, everyone uses them. They totally outrange auroras and if Aeon doesn't have a fighting arty, it should. A DPF nerf would still make it combat-worthy.

No. The Swift wind is a dedicated air to air fighter. The air to ground bombing is ocupied quite satisfactorily by the Mercy. Also just as a side note, the other factions dont have t2 fighters, they have t2 bombers which also happen to have aa weapons.
Strangelly, that's a part of the game that tech isn't worth much even with SwiftWinds, as Interceptors can hit and handle SwiftWinds given the right numbers on an almost even mass per mass comparison. I think the only advantage they have is that they build very fast. I'm not saying it should do damage like Corsairs, but if the other factions have air superiority at T2 they will kill an undefended com, and Aeon should have the same opportunity or at least some of it. A micro intensive ground weapon, where the player has to repeatedly click on a target to get the best of it - with say 50 to 100 damage - would be really fun to play and help buff the faction a bit.

Im sorry, what? Do you intend to streight up double their dps or do you mean to keep the dps the same but just make it less of an alpha damage weapon?

Their DPS is fine, but doubling the ROF would add a tank killer role to it like the other destroyers have.

Can you please clarify what 'ground weapon' is? Their primary naval weapon has the same range as the UEF one, along with higher dps. If your talking about TML, then it doesnt have one at all.
Its naval weapon has very poor range, and since it doesn't have a missile launcher it is an useless unit unless you are being attacked by air. It should at least almost match Cyb and Sera's missile range, like 80 or 90 to be fun and useful vs t2 navy.

I agree that aeon battleships and tempests could do with more to differentiate them, I am not so sure that a rof boost would help. The battleship already fires nearly twice as fast anyway.
I'm thinking in making it more like a long range Battlecruiser, where the tempest would do the heavy bombardment role.

Use t1 pd along with t2 pd. They both cover each others weaknesses very well. When not dealing with t1 units the high alpha damage is often a benefit more then a detreiment.
No they don't. T1 PD doesn't have the range of its T2 counterpart and the T2 pd is very permissive, allowing T1 armies getting close, and overloading the T1 PDs with targets. I think its a much better balance to have ROF and spend less mass on T1 PDs than alpha for an advantage of a fraction of the damage in advance.

Aeon shields are cheap and very strong, the low size is a nesicary balance for this. If they dic cover more area they would need significant nerfs in other areas.
Could be buffed, Aeon has very poor base defence with the abyssal ROF of the T2 PD.

I guess I could also add that the ACU personal shield is very weak, and that upgrading both weapons takes two slots. My suggestion is to make a two-tier gun upgrade, where the extra range Aeon has when compared with the other factions would go on the left slot with a little increase in cost and build time.
nimb777
Crusader

Postby biass » 27 Mar 2020, 07:00

nimb777 wrote:Here's what I think would be good to make aeon the best faction

And the reason your favorite faction should be the best is because:
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby LabPunk » 27 Mar 2020, 18:17

nimb777 wrote:Hi all,

Auroras have very poor ground control. Lowering their range and fixing their hp to the lower range of the other tanks, with a little buff to speed and turn rate - to make them wiggle less when given a move command or so.
Fervors are useless in combat. They need AOE and a fix to make them actually fire on units and help auroras counter mixed armies.

Maybe just don't play aeon.
LabPunk

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Marximum

Postby UnorthodoxBox » 27 Mar 2020, 19:38

LabPunk wrote:Maybe just don't play aeon.

Yea, no one really does play aeon, and that is his point. It probably would be healthy for gameplay to find a way to make aeon more viable to use, but it is kinda impossible to do without reducing faction diversity, which a lot of people are attached to.
UnorthodoxBox

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: Box-

Postby LabPunk » 27 Mar 2020, 21:49

UnorthodoxBox wrote:Yea, no one really does play aeon, and that is his point. It probably would be healthy for gameplay to find a way to make aeon more viable to use, but it is kinda impossible to do without reducing faction diversity, which a lot of people are attached to.

I'm all for rebalancing Aeon. But it's uniqueness should stay.
Aurora is a great unit, and easily the best t1 tank, the problem with Aeon IMO is that it doesn't build on the aurora enough through the tech level.
LabPunk

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Marximum

Postby Azraeel » 27 Mar 2020, 22:28

All Your Suggestions are removing Diversity from Aeon.

Get off the balance forums Please. :|
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=18142 | Swarm Developer

https://discord.gg/ChRfhB3 | AI-Development Server

How We All View Ladder
https://i.imgur.com/0CadeyB.png

Balance Team Crushed
https://i.imgur.com/dGsYCCp.png
Azraeel

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 18 times
FAF User Name: Azraeelian-Angel

Next