Leaderboards suggest an Aeon buff?

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Leaderboards suggest an Aeon buff?

Postby Deribus » 29 Mar 2020, 02:04

These display stats for a single event, and even then only have favorite factions of each player, not the win rates.

The best data I can come up with is the following: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13449&hilit=Stats&start=90#p168733
However it's from 2017, and the numbers have probably changed quite a bit since. I don't know what methodology Softly used to make this graph, but if you contact him he might be able to create an updated version. Only after determining that there is indeed a problem should we even begin discussing the topic of rebalancing an entire faction.
Deribus

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Deribus

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 29 Mar 2020, 03:37

So while I know how to do it, and prove that it works (hundreds of games) will share some experiences ( I know how selfish it sounds, but it doesn't matter while it's true):

Aurora
200hp 23r -> lower range (still 5 more as others) more hp and dps, it need some kite but its not such critical as its actual is, and not cause so massive gap between too great move - too horrible move.

favor
1aoe + firing randomness 1 rof = sometime will hit some units by fr

t1 bomber
increase EMP radius, and time 7.5aoe 3/2/1s -> this add some too great option for aeon while using micro., already is emp useless, it should not be

engineer
fix that good damn sacrifice so normal working model, if nothing else 90% ratio will allow to do some tricks

obsidian
energy drain -1, actually 10e drain mean +37,5mass cost = 397,5m is really a lot!
add +0.1 speed
change target priority to acu fist -> this will make magic, while obsi die in numbers against OC, actually its not possible to spread them while some deep stupidity in ppl in charge decide that players should not have control ower own units.

blaze
cheap price is one thing but its super easy pizy solution.. blaze is ultimate crap because movement super buggy issue, it cant rotate gun, body kite, this is possible to fix, just copypast eq code and done, eaaasy

mercies
rework damage mechanism to deal Damage ower time. 4,5aoe 3000dmg/4 sec-> it allow to use against armies, and will not be snipe acu and win the game only, unit

exodus
more aoe, like 2,5

harbinger - sniper role change
who comes with this was pure genius - no kidding wasn't.
make main t3 unit sniper bot with a huge range and static gameplay was a total mistake, its far less fun to shoot something slowly from distance. throw units in is all time more enjoyable event.
harb is trash, need more speed if should have low range. and need to remove energy cost for the shield to -1.

tempest
remove damage underwater by aoe effect and its viable unit as submarine as well.. Also need more hp, like double

czar
need far far better AA, like triple HP and be slower -> there is need to decide what this unit should be: AA counter or ground counter

When its AA counter it still lose to air, while air is so fucked in far, but its possible to make it at least viable and not power roll when air not get it down. If its slow, like 5sp then its valuable against mobile ground AA. But still and mainly it need like 100 000 hp, maybe even more.
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby biass » 29 Mar 2020, 05:46

nimb777 wrote:Only if everyone agreed that the leaderboards display that a faction is underplayed and underscored we would be spared of all the toxic comments here.

Noone disagrees that Aeon is underplayed. The point is whether or not it's because they're actually underpowered or if they're not played due to other factors.
The second point is if we should balance them if they're underplayed, which we normally do not do.

Ignoring Az, noone is being toxic here. Please do not conflate being toxic with not agreeing with your opinion.

nimb777 wrote:Appeal to Authority

Aeon is my most played ladder faction over a span of 700 games, what about you? I can't find your username in the leaderboards.

nimb777 wrote:I've never seen RL tanks that have their combat role in giving up territory,

This is a video game and not a military simulation. Kiting is a universal video game term which the aurora and many other units in this game abide by.

nimb777 wrote:If aurora is so good, lowering their range would only nerf it if that's the case.

Y-yeah?

nimb777 wrote:As soon as the tank numbers mount up they will eventually catch up with the auroras after a lot of retreat and kill them

I literally do not know how this is managing to occur in your games so I would love to see a replay of this happening.
You should be posting them if you have a balance complaint anyway.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby nimb777 » 29 Mar 2020, 06:14

Noone disagrees that Aeon is underplayed. The point is whether or not it's because they're actually underpowered or if they're not played due to other factors.

If you check the leaderboards I linked you can see that they become increasingly rare on the higher rating tiers. It should mean that they either are more unpopular against high ranking players or that there's a flaw that makes the faction fail for Aeon on a higher rating balance-wise. This simply doesn't produce replays for lower tier players to learn.
nimb777
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby biass » 29 Mar 2020, 06:26

nimb777 wrote:It should mean that they either are more unpopular against high ranking players or that there's a flaw that makes the faction fail for Aeon on a higher rating balance-wise.

Sure, which one are you going to argue for? Waiting on those replays my friend.

nimb777 wrote:This simply doesn't produce replays for lower tier players to learn.

I would recommend contacting the Trainer team instead, of which I am a part of.

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Postby nimb777 » 29 Mar 2020, 20:44

I would recommend contacting the Trainer team instead, of which I am a part of.

I don't see how the trainer team will solve a balance issue.
If you don't agree that there's a balance flaw that stops the aeon gameplay from progressing that's fine.
nimb777
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Blodir » 30 Mar 2020, 11:27

biass wrote:I'm sorry but this is just stupid. Aurora is already tied for the cheapest t1 tank and is already the strongest by a considerable margin. In order to open up aeon, you would need to make the t1 stage WORSE so that going to t2 would be worth considering.

I'm sorry but this is just stupid. In most ladder maps aurora is the worst tank by far. Aurora is only good in situations where all of the following are true: space is limited, you have head on big t1 army engagements and enemy does not have the time/resources to invest in hoplite/mongoose/t1 bomber/gun. Eg. on Theta aurora are very good, whereas on that new 20x20 petric map (kusogi or something like that) aurora are totally unplayable garbage. Currently in the map pool there's arguably only 1 aurora map (viridium) out of 15. Also keep in mind that even if half of the map pool was aurora maps it would still not be fun to play aeon since you have a massive disadvantage on other maps.

Mantis is the strongest t1 tank by far (and actually quite significantly OP imo) due to speed and buildpower.
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby biass » 30 Mar 2020, 13:43

Blodir wrote:I'm sorry but this is just stupid.

That's great my man, are you here to argue for/against any points mentioned in the thread or are you just trying to make yourself feel better?

biass
Contributor

Postby Blodir » 30 Mar 2020, 18:36

biass wrote:I'm sorry but this is just stupid. Aurora is already tied for the cheapest t1 tank and is already the strongest by a considerable margin. In order to open up aeon, you would need to make the t1 stage WORSE so that going to t2 would be worth considering.

biass wrote:
Blodir wrote:I'm sorry but this is just stupid.

That's great my man, are you here to argue for/against any points mentioned in the thread or are you just trying to make yourself feel better?

I don't know what you mean. I merely corrected one of your faulty statements. Aurora is not
already the strongest by a considerable margin
... which is pretty important to note when balancing a faction, don't you think?

I mean the entire point you were making was
Aeon have such a strong t1 and the entire game is influenced by how strong they are

Anyways, I don't think this is true in the vast majority of scenarios, especially with the Cybran/UEF meta that we had previously (before the Notha meta) since those factions shit on auroras really bad with hoplite/mongoose.
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby RedX » 30 Mar 2020, 18:43

Blodir wrote:Aurora is only good in situations where all of the following are true: space is limited, you have head on big t1 army engagements and enemy does not have the time/resources to invest in hoplite/mongoose/t1 bomber/gun.
Not here to discuss balance, but rather to ask a question. Why is the aurora only good where space is limited? I would've thought, being a kiter, that having plenty of space to kite around in would be their strength.
RedX

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: D3matt

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion