Damaged pgens should produce less power

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Damaged pgens should produce less power

Postby Steel_Panther » 24 Mar 2020, 18:08

FtXCommando wrote:Sounds like a buff to drops and t2 bombers when they don’t need one. Also sounds like a pointless increase on micro that doesn’t increase the skill cap at all.

The danger of keeping a pgen on 5% hp is that it can blow up everything around it pretty quickly (and t3 pgens tend to be around important things).

I agree it would buff drops, but I think it's very rare for people to repair anything, even pgens, except while the initial attack is ongoing (if they think they can keep it from dying). If not it just gets a reclaim order to prevent the explosion. If you have a decent amount of power you are probably better off building a replacement pgen, and then reclaiming the 5% health one rather than repairing it.

And then there is still zero reason to ever repair a mex because they don't explode. I actually intentionally avoid ever repairing a mex, because it's a total waste of mass! If it dies later you usually just get the reclaim from it and rebuild it for a small loss, but less than if you had repaired it earlier.

It's not like this game mechanic is super broken, but it's just a little weird that there is very rarely any reason to repair buildings. On the other hand it's somewhat consistent with reality that sometimes its not worth it to try fixing something old and broken, and to just recycle it and build something new. So I dunno. It's not a big deal either way, but it still would seem workable (and potentially better) to have buildings operate at less than 100% based on damage (at whatever rate seems best, maybe we decide they always produce at minimum 75% efficiency, after testing).

To be clear I'm stopping short of saying we should apply something similar to units. I can imagine it, but it would very significantly change the game if you change unit dps, speed, etc. based on their hp remaining.
Steel_Panther

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 19 times
FAF User Name: Steel_Panther

Postby RedX » 25 Mar 2020, 08:02

Mach wrote:and have units move slower with slower rate of fire the more damaged they are

This would make auroras and other kiters insanely broken.
RedX

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: D3matt

Postby ZLO_RD » 25 Mar 2020, 12:05

Damaged units acting exactly as not damaged units creates good tension in games. you are rewarded for keeping your units alive on low HP. you can use something to tank damage and then act at the last moment.
Also this change would nerf higher tech units. When you fight t2 vs t1, if t2 units win it may be that whole army will be on half of HP. If t1 units win it may be that half of them are dead, that is pretty big reason why t2 t3 units are good. Removing this advantage from them is questinable and would require alot of other balance changes.
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby LabPunk » 25 Mar 2020, 23:27

This would make t1 bombers way OP in ladder.
LabPunk

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Marximum

Postby Mach » 25 Mar 2020, 23:33

what if it only effected units after specific % of damage, so it only starts slowing them down when they are on 10-20% hp or less instead straight from 100%, more weird to see a 1 hp unit go around happily like its on full hp
Mach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Mach

Postby BlackYps » 26 Mar 2020, 01:01

If you want to encourage repairing buildings, why not simply reduce the repair cost?
Having damaged units behave worse in some way causes massive balance implications on all kinds of unit interactions. I don't think thats worth it.

Also having the speed/resource output/whatever start at arbitrary values and going down to an arbitrary percentage (which you would probably need to do to balance it) makes this feature a lot less elegant and intuitive.
BlackYps

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby techmind_ » 26 Mar 2020, 08:35

BlackYps wrote:If you want to encourage repairing buildings, why not simply reduce the repair cost?
Having damaged units behave worse in some way causes massive balance implications on all kinds of unit interactions. I don't think thats worth it.

Also having the speed/resource output/whatever start at arbitrary values and going down to an arbitrary percentage (which you would probably need to do to balance it) makes this feature a lot less elegant and intuitive.

The problem with reclaim, it gives 81%, no point repairing: ctrl-k + rebuilding is almost always better. Repair needs to be 100% for 19% of mass cost for it to be usefull.
techmind_
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: techmind_

Previous

Return to Balance Discussion