Solace Firing Pattern

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Solace Firing Pattern

Postby Deribus » 19 Feb 2020, 23:47

keyser wrote:
Deribus wrote:Would it be possible code-wise to have Solace torpedoes retarget if their initial target dies? That could made them into frigate killing machines.

balance team already discussed this idea, we would to do that or allow solace torpedoes to penetrate the shields. We don't know how easily it can be achieved though.

Not a fan of the shield idea. Aeon already has a dedicated anti-shield hover unit in the form of the Absolver, and that gets little enough use already.
Deribus

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Deribus

Postby keyser » 19 Feb 2020, 23:51

Deribus wrote:
keyser wrote:
Deribus wrote:Would it be possible code-wise to have Solace torpedoes retarget if their initial target dies? That could made them into frigate killing machines.

balance team already discussed this idea, we would to do that or allow solace torpedoes to penetrate the shields. We don't know how easily it can be achieved though.

Not a fan of the shield idea. Aeon already has a dedicated anti-shield hover unit in the form of the Absolver, and that gets little enough use already.

a little rework of the Absolver is already planned, but once again coding limitation are appearing.
Although making solace ignore shields wouldn't impact in any way the Absolver, since it will be used in priority to snipe shielded cruiser while absolver use is to reduce opponent shields for army fights.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Elusive » 20 Feb 2020, 07:14

The problem as I see it is that the Solace doesnt have a properly defined neiche within its role as an air to navy unit.
T2 torps are pretty clear in function, they are a spammable unit that you can throw at naval AA until they dont have any more, at which point you can run amock.
Are t3 torps supposed to be the same, but just an upgraded version? or are they meant to have a different role, such as being the naval equivilent of a strat bomber that focus single high prirotry targets? If they are simple just an upgrade, in what way? better mass to damage ratio, extra tanky, faster?

My take on the Solace is that it is supposed to be a tankier version of the t2 version that is made to fly through heavy AA and strike high value targets on the other side like submerged ACUs.
Elusive
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Elusive

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 20 Feb 2020, 11:46

Elusive wrote:The problem as I see it is that the Solace doesnt have a properly defined neiche within its role as an air to navy unit.
T2 torps are pretty clear in function, they are a spammable unit that you can throw at naval AA until they dont have any more, at which point you can run amock.
Are t3 torps supposed to be the same, but just an upgraded version? or are they meant to have a different role, such as being the naval equivilent of a strat bomber that focus single high prirotry targets? If they are simple just an upgrade, in what way? better mass to damage ratio, extra tanky, faster?

If we check the damage/mass per pass, we get:
2.42 for the Solace. 2.77 for the T2 torpedo bomber. So the T2 torpedo bomber has a 14.5% better ratio.
1.55 for the Sera Strat. 2.98 for the Notha. So the Notha has a 92% better ratio.
With the Corsair vs Cybran strat you'll probably get a similar picture. So if you're going to base the Solace on how it works compared to T2 torp bombers, by looking at how T3 strats compare to lower tier bombers, then the Solace comes out of this better.

My take on the Solace is that it is supposed to be a tankier version of the t2 version that is made to fly through heavy AA and strike high value targets on the other side like submerged ACUs.
This puts them as a snipe tool. In this way they'd also already perform as intended. The only problem is that they're visible on radar.

As I said in the first post, the problems with the firing pattern have to be fixed, and it remains to be seen if anything needs to be done about the Solace at all. When I looked at the numbers, they're far better than people think. But they're not being used often enough so no one really notices.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Deribus » 20 Feb 2020, 15:26

What about giving them a small, quickly recharging personal shield Titan-style? That way they could be used for hit-and-run style bombing while shrugging off a volley or two of cruiser fire.
Deribus

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 20 Feb 2020, 16:53

I make some tests on solace issue, The main source of solace problem is the time that comes from torpedos being shoot and time that torpedos reach the target. How it can be fixed is change fire patern and make them more like uef torp bomber when shoot torpedos directly to target, but imho that's not Solace, I like visual part how it looks. So what i did (in equilibrium):
4000hp 625dmg/torpedo = 5000dmg per salvo.
Spoiler: show
What is
T3 4000hp/1650 = 2,42 5000dmg/1650 = 3 3x2,42= 7,3
T2 880hp/245 = 3,6 750dmg/245 = 3 3,6x3= 10,8

These numbers mean that solace one pass kill all strategic submarines whiteout veterancy, and all 1v1 cruiser, whiteout shields. If cruiser have missiles (sera/uef) Solace survive with about 30% hp if have not, solace die after pass. And on my opinion that's fair and while can load extreme damage to single target have slightly different role as T2.

Another potential issue is changing aeon T2 bomber to cheaper, weaker and more agile torp bomber compare with others where differences between T2 and T3 will be more drastic -> t2 for spam T3 for snipe.
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby Wesmania » 23 Feb 2020, 23:40

Here's another random idea. By the time a player is making solaces, there's T3 air on the field already. How about keeping solaces worse mass-for-mass than T2 torps, but making them faster and more manueverable so that T3 air has a harder time catching up to it? I don't know how well cruisers would deal with that, but maybe you'd then be able to use solaces for a single-pass-then-retreat kind of attacks.
Wesmania
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 79 times
FAF User Name: MazorNoob

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 24 Feb 2020, 21:28

This is exactly what the Solace is. Again, I've written down where the problem is for the current Solace. That needs to be implemented first, before any damage modifications, or HP and mass cost changes.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Azraeel » 26 Feb 2020, 00:50

Solace is basically a strat bomber on water. So take ur strat bomber logic and apply it to the solace....

Boom now u know the solaces job 8-)
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=18142 | Swarm Developer

https://discord.gg/ChRfhB3 | AI-Development Server

How We All View Ladder
https://i.imgur.com/0CadeyB.png

Balance Team Crushed
https://i.imgur.com/dGsYCCp.png
Azraeel

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 18 times
FAF User Name: Azraeelian-Angel

Postby Deribus » 10 Apr 2020, 03:06

Honestly not sure why I only just now thought of this, but Solace should get a stun. That's pretty on-brand for Aeon, and it would give it an additional role for temporarily disabling crucial T3/T4 navy during a fight.

How long should this stun be? I honestly have no idea. Given how long it takes a Solace to come around for another pass 1-2 seconds seems about right, but I fully admit that's a number I pulled out of my ass.
Deribus

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion