VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Re: Patch 3703 Beta

Postby Cuddles » 17 Apr 2019, 11:30

Farmsletje wrote:what about this release has been in secret? please elaborate.

You guys have not exactly been promoting what you are doing or even who is doing what. There is a news page, there is a Promotions Counselor, he has a YouTube channel. There is the official faf YouTube channel. Even Jagged has a channel and he never mentions anything about the balance team. Jagged can spend 2min in his intro for a cast with a sneak peak of the changes to the mongoose or whatever.

The news page was only updated once the beta patch was released. Have a look at what a devs like the guys from factoriois doing https://www.factorio.com/blog/. Weekly updates on upcoming patches.

Just include the community more by telling them what you are doing as you make progress.

faf news.jpg
faf news.jpg (265.23 KiB) Viewed 1477 times

faf yotube.jpg
faf yotube.jpg (76.14 KiB) Viewed 1477 times

mountain.jpg
mountain.jpg (83.81 KiB) Viewed 1477 times

Thanks for the link keyser.

edit: sorry for the missing words and grammar issues, hope it comes over okay.
Turinturambar defended very valiantly
Cuddles
Contributor

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 118 times
FAF User Name: Scoot

Postby Farmsletje » 17 Apr 2019, 12:00

So unless we make videos about every balance patch & make a weekly blog about what has happened in the past week we are working in secret? We are a balance team, not a blog team. If we put in the same amount of work in those blogs as the factorio dudes then you can expect a lot less balance changes since it seems like quite a lot of work is put into them.

Before every major balance patch a forum thread like this is released where you and anybody else will have enough time to see what's going to change and have your say in it if needed. Why make 20 small what's new posts with a little bit of info if it can just be put in 1? Especially when a number of those changes will be reverted after some testing/discussions anyway.

Also both jagged and i have streamed talking about the beta changes for multiple hours in total

Lastly since when does not promoting equal to "working in secret"? That makes no sense at all.
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Cuddles » 17 Apr 2019, 12:16

Farmsletje wrote:So unless we make videos about every balance patch & make a weekly blog about what has happened in the past week we are working in secret? We are a balance team, not a blog team. If we put in the same amount of work in those blogs as the factorio dudes then you can expect a lot less balance changes since it seems like quite a lot of work is put into them.

Before every major balance patch a forum thread like this is released where you and anybody else will have enough time to see what's going to change and have your say in it if needed. Why make 20 small what's new posts with a little bit of info if it can just be put in 1? Especially when a number of those changes will be reverted after some testing/discussions anyway.

Also both jagged and i have streamed talking about the beta changes for multiple hours in total

Lastly since when does not promoting equal to "working in secret"? That makes no sense at all.

Why are you being so aggressive? It's just a suggestion on something that can be done better, namely using the official channels for better communication and maybe you even get a sense of inclusion from the community.
Cuddles
Contributor

Postby biass » 17 Apr 2019, 12:20

Cuddles wrote:You guys have not exactly been promoting what you are doing or even who is doing what.

I get what you're saying but it is not the balance teams duty to "promote" and the team is already sort of going above what should be expected in possibly the most hostile working environment outside of being a python dev.

I'm sure mountain could compile something maybe every fortnight, even if it is just a sentence or two.

Oh, also im sure that putting a name to a change will just garner more hate towards them and thus lower team productivity, remember when balance was just zock? dude couldn't come onto aeolus without someone like evildrew (yes i am calling you out) throwing a fit.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby 5cript » 17 Apr 2019, 12:37

(I made the things fat that I have the strongest feelings about)

- Engineer change: omg yes
- Scathis: omg yes
- Shield nerfs: Seems excessive. And what is the idea behind it?
- Regen Aura: seems cool
- Nuke nerf: I agree with the nerf, but maybe not so much? Probably needed to have an actual effect.
- Harbinger reclaim change: I like this one.
- Chrono nerf: <3
- Eye of Rhianne: nice QoL.
- Swifties: I am (strongly) opposed to this change.

Most other changes: I am neutral about them, like them, or dont know much about how it could affect gameplay.
5cript
Crusader

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: NomenNominandum

Postby Cuddles » 17 Apr 2019, 12:53

biass wrote:
Cuddles wrote:You guys have not exactly been promoting what you are doing or even who is doing what.

I get what you're saying but it is not the balance teams duty to "promote" and the team is already sort of going above what should be expected in possibly the most hostile working environment outside of being a python dev.

I'm sure mountain could compile something maybe every fortnight, even if it is just a sentence or two.

Oh, also im sure that putting a name to a change will just garner more hate towards them and thus lower team productivity, remember when balance was just zock? dude couldn't come onto aeolus without someone like evildrew (yes i am calling you out) throwing a fit.

Good points. I can agree that it's not the balance teams duty to "promote", there is an argument that it is the counselors duty.

Farms, maybe put some pressure on your team lead to get this stuff promoted better if you feel hurt by the criticism.

Also give the scathis another barrel or adjust the salvo. It's the very definition of unbalanced at the moment.
Cuddles
Contributor

Postby Ze Dogfather » 17 Apr 2019, 13:16

Just an update; did upload the vid, so if you'd like you can check it out here (hopefully details enough to help out): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsHDWnGPzDI&t=216s
A m a z e
Ze Dogfather
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 159 times
Been liked: 51 times
FAF User Name: Dogfather

Postby Zerzetzung1 » 17 Apr 2019, 13:57

How about a little buff to Atlantis? Its super weak and useless. I would like to use it since its experimental and supposed to be a prime ship of the fleet. Scathis gets a buff, so why not Atlantis too? I would like to see more of Atlantis in the battle so i could get more reclaim.

Personally I welcome nerfs for nuke, tac and topedo bombers. Very good.
Zerzetzung1
Crusader

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Hakkapeliitta

Postby Viba » 17 Apr 2019, 15:32

Zerzetzung1 wrote:How about a little buff to Atlantis? Its super weak and useless. I would like to use it since its experimental and supposed to be a prime ship of the fleet. Scathis gets a buff, so why not Atlantis too? I would like to see more of Atlantis in the battle so i could get more reclaim.

Personally I welcome nerfs for nuke, tac and topedo bombers. Very good.

Atlantis was somewhat recently nerfed, before that you could do drive-by ghetto shooting with it: http://recordit.co/jcGJ7fkCHX 8-)
Viba
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 224 times
FAF User Name: !smurfcheck Viba

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion