Balance Mod For 1v1 and global

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Balance Mod For 1v1 and global

Postby Morax » 27 Dec 2018, 23:28

I don't really have specifics to discuss, but would it be possible that 1v1 and ladder matches have its own balance and team games have its own?

It seems to me, the two are quite different in terms of what units and meta is used, so maybe a solution to all the bitching about what does what would be relieved - not resolved - by addressing issues that exist in the separate arenas.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Re: Balance Mod For 1v1 and global

Postby moonbearonmeth » 28 Dec 2018, 03:44

As a mod, yes.
Ask me about my amazing content production to watch while you wait in a lobby.
moonbearonmeth
Priest

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Suomi KP-31 desu

Postby Morax » 28 Dec 2018, 04:02

A ranked mod!

*self likes*

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Postby Endranii » 28 Dec 2018, 04:04

*Cries in Bhedit*
Endranii

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 50 times
FAF User Name: Empty_Spot

Postby biass » 28 Dec 2018, 04:42

S-s-sorry we uh we can't, there's a uh you know uhh a server bug.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Apofenas » 28 Dec 2018, 14:08

EQ as official ladder balance confirmed?

Oh also additional balance mods for setons, for wonder, for gap and for thermo! And don't forget about Phantom-X... oh wair, we have 4 already.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby PhilipJFry » 28 Dec 2018, 14:32

yes it would be possible and fairly easy to do on a technical level
but you will need to convince the council that it's a good idea in the first place
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Morax » 28 Dec 2018, 15:33

PhilipJFry wrote:yes it would be possible and fairly easy to do on a technical level
but you will need to convince the council that it's a good idea in the first place

What would this require? Popular demand, eg, collecting enough statements from players they like the idea; a written proposal showing the needs with examples; beg?

Commando, what say you?

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Postby Apofenas » 28 Dec 2018, 17:01

Oh wait, were you actually serious on that? I thought that was a joke considering the amount of facts you bring for that in initial post.

First of all, it would only create a barrier between ladder and team game players. Probably ladder suffers most from that since more~less experienced team game players would learn to play whole new balance in addition to unfamiliar 1v1 meta. That would just scare away those few people who try to play 1v1 instead of gap for a change. You may never fill custom 1v1 since it is considered as global game mode and ladder players may avoid something unfamiliar to them

Just imagine this salt:

"I had to wait for fcking 30 minutes and got matched against 1500 being 0 rated, i even had chance to win him but than i realised unit A is shit in ladder and unit B is OP AF! WTFJAGGEDWTFWTFWTF?????"

I mentioned there are plenty of balance mods for phantom. PhXModAlpha created a whole cult of hive-addicted people who can't play without engy stations. If they don't see hives in aeon unit selection, they whine with "There is a r e a s o n hives were given all factions!!" and rage quit to ruin game rehost with their precious mod. Although the actual reason is inability of 800 rated phantom to plan his eco 1 min ahead

It may not sound bad now for a couple of differences, but how much different game modes would be in 3 years? Probably not that much considering the amount of patches our balance team releases. Ladder rating must reflect player's ability to play the game and it is usually accurate for team games atm.

Speaking of units. Which areas of balance are so badly balanced that you need to create different balances for 1v1 and team games? Can you even name something? May be that should probably be brought to balance team in a first place so they try to fix that first?

Oh, also don't forget to mention some other real time strategies which used such balance split for 1v1 and team games. Is this even common practice for popular successful games? ...cough...for any games?

With that said.
No, thanks.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby Morax » 28 Dec 2018, 17:34

Apofenas, I would not really propose anything too drastically different from what is current. I feel the idea can be explored where certain things like the previous balance is reverted, with the exception that t3 land/ air and exps have a large increase in build time.

Also, when I play 1v1 it's nothing like a team game, so the mindset is different already. I mean, how often do you see mmls in 1v1 anyways? People don't tend to make giant fire bases, but rather opt for shields and defense around a commander to protect against snipes.

In the end, I think nerfing t3 land was a poor move, while the actual problem was easy access to that tier level. Of course, t3 air and exp access needs to be a higher cost - whether that be with time or resources - to help offset the tier 3 land delay.

I don't think any unit in particular is crazy OP in current spare maybe pillars being too cheap.

I'm open to others thoughts on this and appreciate your input, Apofenas.

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Next

Return to Balance Discussion