need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Re: Another Balance thread !

Postby angus000 » 01 Nov 2018, 21:05

Can you make it so it only auto-detonates if the sum of the mass of the units that will be killed is greater than that of the beetle?
angus000

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 39 times
FAF User Name: flexible

Postby Morax » 01 Nov 2018, 21:19

If StarCraft 2 is a terrific game then Le Pen is a great prime minister for France.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby ZeRen » 01 Nov 2018, 22:07

Farmsletje wrote:Maybe he means widow mines

nope, widow mines, fire "missile" and recharge for next shot, they can shot air and burrow under ground, so no rip off
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby keyser » 01 Nov 2018, 22:10

#Banelings
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby ZeRen » 01 Nov 2018, 22:13

keyser wrote:#Banelings

ah burrow banneling, yea that is a mine :D
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby Evan_ » 02 Nov 2018, 00:02

angus000 wrote:Can you make it so it only auto-detonates if the sum of the mass of the units that will be killed is greater than that of the beetle?

If it doesn't kill anything but severely damages a cluster of t2 then it will have paid for itself.
Evan_

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 80 times
FAF User Name: Evan_

Postby Wesmania » 02 Nov 2018, 01:36

Just give me old beetles back, I don't care about Cyb being weak on defense, I just want their drops to be useful again :(
Wesmania
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 79 times
FAF User Name: MazorNoob

Postby Farmsletje » 02 Nov 2018, 01:40

ZeRen wrote:
Farmsletje wrote:Maybe he means widow mines

nope, widow mines, fire "missile" and recharge for next shot, they can shot air and burrow under ground, so no rip off

I know what they do?
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby IceDreamer » 02 Nov 2018, 04:31

Apofenas wrote:From what i can see in PR, this also removes that cloak from Selen. Does that mean you'll give it proper turn rate to shoot while moving?

The Selen should be completely unaffected. Changes made should be a non-functional refactor, purely to avoid duplicating code. Any changes to Selen behavior should be noted and I will fix them.

JoonasTo wrote:This seems weird. We’ve been all about removing micro and now we’re adding something that has to be manually detonated?

Shouldn’t the unit have some kind of auto function? So you can just lay these in out of the way locations to deny runbys and drops and such. Won’t work against main army anyway because commander has omni.

That said, I think the energy cost is too expensive. These are units that show up in the t1 power phase so more than 20 power seems excessive.

Absolutely not. It does not have to be manually detonated. It will explode: When killed by enemy fire, when the detonate button is used, when instant or non-instant ctrl-k is used. It will detect enemy units that come into a close-ish range of the detonation radius (Double, I think, the numbers are alpha and unlikely to be 'correct' first time), and will automatically target, uncloak, close in on, and detonate.

EDIT:
Numbers - The initial numbers I pulled out of my butt are increased AOE from 6 to 8, MaxRadius from 5.8 to 7.8 (Must be slightly smaller than AOE, to ensure something is in AOE when we blow ourselves up), and a "I see an enemy, I'm going to wake up, scuttle over there, and blow up in his face!" radius of 15.6 (double the AOE).

Beetles are fast, but the decision to make them wake up (revealing themselves) and move to the enemy was based on game design principles I'll be happy to go into if you wish. PM, chat, or some kind of write-up if you reeeally want it lol.
END EDIT

It is designed to act entirely as you describe in second paragraph.

Energy cost is, like the ranges etc, just an initial number. This is proof of concept, not a final proposal.

angus000 wrote:Can you make it so it only auto-detonates if the sum of the mass of the units that will be killed is greater than that of the beetle?

Technically yes, but I have several reasons for believing this would be a poor game design decision. The present concept is meant to be as easy to use in most situations as possible by the 99% players who aren't "good". If you're concerned about wasting a blast, that's where the more advanced micro features come in. They are there for people like you, for use in those situations when needed.

Thank you to Keyser for making this thread, and to all participants for keeping it on topic, civil, and taking the proposal seriously.

PS - Keyser's video demonstrated the very worst way to detonate when you're using manual control, all that changing fire-modes. It's a lot of clicking. Instead, you can use the detonate button, ctrl-k, or insta-ctrl-k, even when the weapon is set to hold fire, and they still go boom. Even better, if the enemy has Omni and can see them, they will even blow up when killed by enemy fire, despite being hold fire! Designed to be very easy to use, very hard to waste :)
Last edited by IceDreamer on 02 Nov 2018, 04:41, edited 1 time in total.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion