Increasing Engineer build range

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Increasing Engineer build range

Postby Apofenas » 04 Sep 2018, 13:43

Louvegarde wrote:For as much as I like the idea of having T3 engineers able to build further from where they currently are, I remind myself that the engineer range is glitched anyway and that it happens very frequently to me to have T1 engineers building or assisting out of their supposed max range. So I don't know what that would give with a range upgrade ontop.

Also, did you think about the fact that it will become easier for players with T2 engineers (e.g.) to build buildings uphill / through natural barriers in some maps ? I'm just throwing that in the air without much thought to it, but if some maps rely on the fact that an engineer can't build at place X because the steep is to hard, therefore making this hill a defensive outpost for the other player, giving extra range to T2 engies might allow to build T1 Pds or whatever directly from below and turn that map feature into something else.

ACU has build range of 10. If it is able to build through such "natural barriers" than those already don't work; if it is unable to do so - new build ranges won't break anything. Can you name maps that rely on such barriers anyway? The only one i know for sure is Goodlands. AND Lionhardt made plateus immune to ledgebuilding from ACUs meaning engineers wouldn't break anything here.

Lionhardt tried to go against it in many of his maps. AFAIK Hexagonian was meant to be heavy air/drop map. Ledge building mechanic appeared to be a better strategy in all map versions.

Anyway, if for some reason you get t2 engineer for ledgebuilding, why wouldn't you use ACU or drop t1 engies instead?
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 04 Sep 2018, 14:22

The ACU can never be in more than one spot.

Rather than increasing build radius, can the engineer's physical size be reduced by a bit. That way they bump into each other a bit less and this is the most damaging part of pathfinding issues. It should be possible to reduce the physical size a bit while keeping the visual size the same, for clickability.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Exotic_Retard » 04 Sep 2018, 14:39

ok so a couple of technical points here:

the clickability is tied to the units mesh extents (a kind of visual size) - you cant select it if you dont click on that.
the collision box determines when a projectile can hit a unit

pathfinding uses the collision box work out whats going on, and having grain of sand size units doesnt actually help it that much, since it tries to space them out the same way. it does however make bumping less frequent if the collision boxes are tiny.

however, there are issues with making them smaller - they become harder to hit. and not just proportionally either. enemy units aim at the engineer, not its collision box. and a tiny box is not only impossible to hit, but due to how the engine updates them is often displaced from the unit, so even perfect accuracy will lead to a lot of misses.

anyway, carry on and dont mind me!
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby Gorton » 04 Sep 2018, 16:16

I know this is offtopic, but it's vaguely related. I'd like to see the capture range of units increase to the total buildrange.
It's jarring when you have to be right on top of something to start capturing it.
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby PsychoBoB » 04 Sep 2018, 19:02

Since three years from now i tried to mention every now and then this too:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11177
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=16384#p165559

But nobody of the important people sees any need of changing the engineers.
If you fear the dark you have never seen what light can cause!
PsychoBoB
Priest

Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: McNeil

Postby PsychoBoB » 07 Sep 2018, 09:19

Is it possible to turn off collision only between ACU and T1 engies?
PsychoBoB
Priest

Postby Mountain » 16 Sep 2018, 04:58

I'm a fan because it is incredibly frustrating to get T3 engineers from their place of origin to any open area where they can start being useful. It's a level of inconvenience that I think is detrimental to the game. Notwithstanding the gameplay issues it seems pretty logical that higher tiers of engineers should have larger build ranges in the same way that weapon range, radar range, sight range etc. tend to increase with tier.

T3 having double T1 build range is pretty high though. Even if T2 had 10% more and T3 had 20% more it would be a huge improvement.
Mountain
Contributor

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 93 times
FAF User Name: Montana

Postby JoonasTo » 16 Sep 2018, 17:46

I'd rather see the higher tech engies become faster and smaller. And by faster I don't mean they would have to be labs speeding around. Mostly turn speed and acceleration with a smaller collision box, just to have them be less of a pain generally. They're really unresponsive as they are now and because of how the engine cuts off "impossible" pathfinding solutions you often come back home to find them not having done anything. So a quality of life improvement really.

Gorton wrote:I know this is offtopic, but it's vaguely related. I'd like to see the capture range of units increase to the total buildrange.
It's jarring when you have to be right on top of something to start capturing it.

This, so much this.
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Postby PsychoBoB » 16 Sep 2018, 19:57

PsychoBoB
Priest

Postby 5cript » 27 Oct 2018, 14:54

And it comes up again.
I hope this time some sort of little speed buff, and maybe some range can be decided on.
T3 engies are my single biggest grime since engy mod, which made them slow in the first place.
5cript
Crusader

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: NomenNominandum

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion