Balance patch 3696 Feedback Thread

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Balance patch 3696 Feedback Thread

Postby Blue_Owl » 14 May 2018, 13:45

What? Is rewarding micro copyrighted or something? Is it bad for FAF gameplay?

Yes its bad. Because tactical part of the game should stay over micro and apm thing. I know, at 2k+ levels tactics is alwyas nearly perfect so the gameplay comes to micro and apm only. But not everyone is 2k. And looks like balance team doesnt take us into account. If I do better eco, better raiding and better tech than my oppounent, I should win battle of my 5 harbs vs his 3. With this balance it becomes questionable.
Is the /s there because you know the comparison is retarded and you're preemptively poking fun at the people holding that opinion?

Since when its hard to understand /s? I just liked how 2 range difference pretends to be an advantage and "kiting is now very important".
If you thought loyalist was balanced, you're the meme.

Loyalist wasnt balanced. But dont make it a new titan. It would be good, if they left stun ability for ACU and T4, but applied all hp/damage changes.
Blue_Owl
Crusader

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Blue_Owl

Postby Farmsletje » 14 May 2018, 14:13

The game is balanced for good players, not bad players.
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Turinturambar » 14 May 2018, 14:15

I know, at 2k+ levels tactics is alwyas nearly perfect so the gameplay comes to micro and apm only.

better make that 2.4k+ cuz on 2k you still easily find mass overflow massive e stalls and ppl doing ridicolously inefficient things.
Turinturambar

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: 竜宮レナ

Postby biass » 14 May 2018, 15:07

I know, at 2k+ levels tactics is alwyas nearly perfect so the gameplay comes to micro and apm only.

balance in 2018 omegalul
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Yolo- » 14 May 2018, 16:57

HI,

Omen is broken op now, clearly overbuffed. I suggest to take either the speed and maneuverability buff or the range buff. I prefer to keep the range buff, because the Omen already is better to micro than other bs and making it even faster is kind of absurd for a bs.

As for shieldboats: they are clearly overnerfed right now, with this UEF navy would be the weakest by far. I suggest to try a damage overspill of like 25 - 30% first, and remove the recharge increase. If that is still too much, you can nerf the shield boat more.

ALSO: I suggest you look at Washy's code for new decay function!
Yolo-

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 30 times
FAF User Name: Yolo-

Postby Myxir » 14 May 2018, 17:00

asked to upload the test mod (attached), install as usual

overspill works as usual, except that the spilled damage is decaying linearly over distance
example:

the rightmost shield was damaged, nothing else hit them
for test purposes i set it to 100% overspill, so it's easier to see something with the small bars

edit:
i should mention that i have not tested this with any other shield than shieldboats, i guess it will severely buff other mobile shields.
it should also affect stationary shields (another buff), their overspill multiplier might need a second look
Attachments
overspill_tests.zip
(17.68 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Unhappy with balance http://i.imgur.com/q5G2BlM.png
Myxir
Evaluator

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 306 times
FAF User Name: Washy (irc)

Postby Chosen » 14 May 2018, 18:47

Time to unistall FA
Attachments
giphy.gif
well done
giphy.gif (273.61 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
Chosen
Contributor

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: Chosen

Postby Viba » 14 May 2018, 19:55

Yolo- wrote:As for shieldboats: they are clearly overnerfed right now, with this UEF navy would be the weakest by far. I suggest to try a damage overspill of like 25 - 30% first, and remove the recharge increase. If that is still too much, you can nerf the shield boat more.

3696: T2 aeon destro shooting at 17 shields -> 9540 total damage
Pre 3696: T2 aeon destro shooting at 17 shields -> 3604 total damage

The shields don't even need to be that close and are even further apart than a late game UEF navy composition would look like. That is only one aeon destroyer, now imagine a full post 25 min navy shooting at the shields how much more damage they take overall, if amount of shields increase the multiplier just goes up. Add the slower recharge time on top of that and you have waaay too nerfed shields.

Also the damage propagation is in my opinion quite bad, would be better with something like in Washy's example, calculate a static amount of damage from the initial hit and divide it to overlapping shields linearly based on distance or something. Now if you place a long line of shields with the direction away from the damage source basically all of them take the 50% damage, see the pic below, add shields below or above and you just increase the total amount of damage.
Viba
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 224 times
FAF User Name: !smurfcheck Viba

Postby JoonasTo » 14 May 2018, 20:20

Two points I'd like to point out regarding the mobile shield discussion:

- The linear decay function from Washy uses the shield generator location(the position of the unit) not the position of the impact on the shield to calculate the distance for the decay. This is problematic in a situation where the target is in the middle of the shields. Like say, unit assisted by a bunch of mobile shields or an SMD/game ender surrounded by shield gens.

- The Bulwark's shield dome is ridiculously large below water(where only bottom crawlers are affected,) this is what causes the horrible overspill like in Viba's example. If the other mobile shields are fine, the Bulwark shield dome shape/size should be changed, not the spillover value.
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Postby Ecthelon » 14 May 2018, 20:48

Yet more weakening of commanders is still not the way to go. Their unique presence on the battlefield makes the game more interesting, and these patches keep suppressing that.

Loyalists not stunning experimentals or commanders any more seems ill thought through. Mobile ways to counter experimentals are sparse and there really is a very short list of t3 units its worth using the stun on.

Is anyone actually asking for most of these changes?
Ecthelon

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Ecthelon

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion