need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Re: Balance patch 3696 Feedback Thread

Postby Apofenas » 31 Mar 2018, 02:13

So If I follow example of some well known rating abusers I could farm 1800 on Winter duel and than break 2k on stacking all welcome dual gap. Than i could make a mod that does something stupid, for example let Scathis fire from underwater. Would that mod be considered more fair and balanced than whole EQ?

You know, rating means more than years of work, hours of analisis & test games, number of tourneys and community feadback, right?
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby FtXCommando » 31 Mar 2018, 02:16

Farm's post was meant to be taken as a joke boys.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby PhilipJFry » 31 Mar 2018, 06:37

The day that i consciously agree to something that ithilis suggests will be the day that i become able to read minds over great distances.
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Petricpwnz » 31 Mar 2018, 11:45

Apofenas wrote:So If I follow example of some well known rating abusers I could farm 1800 on Winter duel and than break 2k on stacking all welcome dual gap. Than i could make a mod that does something stupid, for example let Scathis fire from underwater. Would that mod be considered more fair and balanced than whole EQ?

You know, rating means more than years of work, hours of analisis & test games, number of tourneys and community feadback, right?

Spoiler: show

kappa
Blackheart wrote:actually i love lolis and want petry to be my waifu

Scientifically proving that Blackheart is a weeb - https://imgur.com/a/J436c | https://clips.twitch.tv/AssiduousAverageOxMikeHogu

Best meme of 2017 - https://puu.sh/yLsvH/abbf54eb99.mp4
Petricpwnz
Priest

Has liked: 442 times
Been liked: 473 times
FAF User Name: Fremy_Speeddraw

Postby Blackheart » 31 Mar 2018, 13:07

This is the most brutal selfroast in the history of faf and possibly the internet.
Blackheart
Priest

Has liked: 294 times
Been liked: 299 times
FAF User Name: various

Postby Apofenas » 31 Mar 2018, 13:51

Oh do you think I didn't know about it and randomly put that example? Pff. We had a lot of chat about it for a long time. How could I miss opportunity to joke on Ithilis in such ironic way as he refuses to change that awfull concept?
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby Mielus » 01 Apr 2018, 11:58

I really appreciate the time people are spending on this balance patch, but I feel the coming balance patch 3696 is so big it makes it complicated to see all it's effects.
A more "agile" method of balance changes could help the balance team.
Keep in mind: Not only teamgames is affected but also 1v1, where race wide balance changes have more impact.

Keep It Simple and only make smaller balance changes which can be released quicker:
  • Set long term goals, but do not try to achieve them in one balance patch release, work towards the goals in several smaller releases.
  • Rule of thumb: No more than a 10% change in some attributes, the impact on a large scale can be bigger than you imagine.
    • Look at underutilized units and buff them a bit, this makes for more variety in game play.
    • Look at overpowered units and nerf them, be careful with OP claims, most of the time people simply don't use the right counter move.
  • Test the patch for a few weeks, fix the unexpected effects/bugs and release in small portions into production at a steady rate. (4 times a year is also a steady state :-) )
  • See if the balance changes bring you towards the ultimate balance goals, or have unexpected side effects. Repeat the 10% rule.
  • Release bug fixes ahead of balance changes.

Some toughs/comments on proposed changes:
The aim is to allow a larger window on a large number of maps for the T2 land stage

I like this idea, but Imho the most simple solution in to increase the cost of the tech 3 land upgrade. If this upgrade costs "enough" t2 tanks, rushing this upgrade will make you lose map control.
To keep balance throughout the game t3 navy and air HQ may also need to be increased.
First is the nerf to direct fire T3 Land units.

I think the balance is reasonably good now, nerfing the t3 units only to promote the t2 land stage creates lots of other problems like making air over powered, the need to re-balance experimentals and maybe even navy.
Some changes to the t3 land are a good idea, but there are so many units changed at once and changes to individual units are very big: consider making smaller changes.
Third is the increase in Experimental Build times

Something must be done here because of the big t3 nerf, but other mass sinks remain: so now everyone is going to build nukes and t3 arty only to end the game after this patch?
Or tech 3 naval will become the OP mass sink?
Is having mass sinks even a problem? Uef and Cybran have very flexable and strong build power with their kennels and hives, Aeon and Seraphim will suffer more from the increased build time.
If you start pulling on threads to hard the whole balance keeps unraveling, changes are to big here.

Megalith Build Time: 18.750 → 60.625

Just one example: That is a 323% change in one attribute, that is no reblance, that is changing the rules
Why nerf this experimental so much harder than the other ones, trying to fix 2 "problems" at once?
This is going to cause other balance problems, the Megalith also has anti navy role on some maps for example.
A spotted exprimental build can be countered by gunships/strats more easily, maybe even prevented by a TML battery, or one could turtle up and spam t2 arty.
T3 static arty is re-balanced into two range tiers. Cybran gets an increased rate of fire in exchange for lower damage

Range and dps are the most important attributes of t3 arty, sure area of effect and firecyle matter, but the main idea is keeping your t3 arty safe at the back and shooting the other teams t3 arties/nuke defenses
Imho all game enders should be more or less equal for all races. In team games, the most OP one is going to used by race sharing.
Right now the Aeon T3 arty has the best dps and range and is the most expensive, but the cost difference is so little compared to the total cost.
Why keep the 50 range difference? Removing all the range dps and cost differences will be even better.
Mielus
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Mielus

Postby PsychoBoB » 03 Apr 2018, 08:58

@Balanceteam: Are there any conclusions after more than two month of feedback?
If you fear the dark you have never seen what light can cause!
PsychoBoB
Priest

Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: McNeil

Postby Morax » 04 Apr 2018, 13:19

Mielus wrote:I really appreciate the time people are spending on this balance patch, but I feel the coming balance patch 3696 is so big it makes it complicated to see all it's effects.

Not goin to happen. The game is quite complicated and a team of 2-3 people testing this stuff takes forever.

It the community was more engaged in testing balance beyond sandbox we could maybe do this... However, try hosting a "fafbalance" mod team game and get a motivated crowd, then suggest this.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion