Can we get cheaper tech 2?

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Can we get cheaper tech 2?

Postby FunkOff » 30 Sep 2017, 14:36

In my view, T2 is the best tier level. It has a lot of tactical options, but very little cheese like fast nukes or fast ahwassa. IMO, all tech 2 factories - tech 2 land particularly - should have reduced price. Say, 700 for a T2 land factory hq, maybe 500.

The problem with the current balance is very little T2 is seen. It's usually workable to simply build some T2 defense and hold the line until T3, or simply upgrade the ACU build suite and build land experimentals to defeat enemy land (no factory required!).

T3 is probably the right price and should stay put. Just make T2 easier to spam.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Re: Can we get cheaper tech 2?

Postby PhilipJFry » 30 Sep 2017, 15:07

reducing it by 700 to 500 is absolutely ridiculous
i wouldn't mind slightly cheaper t2 land hqs but that is just too low
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Evan_ » 30 Sep 2017, 15:31

In addition, if we kept the costs the same relative to each other, that would put support factories around the cost of t1 facts, probably even lower.
Evan_

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 80 times
FAF User Name: Evan_

Postby FunkOff » 30 Sep 2017, 16:01

EvanGalea wrote:In addition, if we kept the costs the same relative to each other, that would put support factories around the cost of t1 facts, probably even lower.

One presumes if T2 landfactory HQs cost 500, the T1-->T2 support factory would only cost like 100.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby Evan_ » 30 Sep 2017, 16:41

exactly, we'd get double the buildpower for only 2 engis worth of mass.

I don't care if you want it a little cheaper, but 500 would be way too unbalanced for certain factions. Imagine trying to fight minute 4 pillars with aurora.
Evan_

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 80 times
FAF User Name: Evan_

Postby Nexus_of_Reality » 01 Oct 2017, 08:13

In my opinion it should be around the same cost as a t2 mex.. Like it was before hq cost increase patch. It's possible to rush t2 now, but on 5x5 glhf ever getting it in time to stop auroras. I think the build time increase was a good change, b/c many maps didnt see much t1 before.. was always just t2 rush (now it's the complete opposite, however, 100+ t1 tanks on vulcans before t2)
Nexus_of_Reality

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 40 times
FAF User Name: Nexus_of_Reality

Postby AdmiralZeech » 06 Nov 2017, 08:41

I've always said that I think T2 should be the default tier in most matches. I'm happy to throw T1 under a bus, and relegate T1 to the same situation as LABs (only used very early and then situationally afterwards). T2 should be easy to get to, and then the gap to T3 should be a bit larger. If there are factional balance problems at T2, then fix those.
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Postby JoonasTo » 06 Nov 2017, 11:38

I don't think we necessarily need cheaper tech 2 in general. Something needs to be done to balance out the air/ground cost difference. Air HQ is half the mass ground HQ is. A little bit cheaper land T2 and a little bit more expensive air T2 would be in order(ofc this would hurt cybran quite a bit and Aeon a bit less since they don't get guncoms with T2 suit, and T2 commander is clearly the cheapest way to get T2 tech then.)

But for T2~T1 in general I feel this is a good balance. You still get T2 around minute 7 on Badlands in ladder, which leads to massive pillars spam at around 10 minutes, for example. Really don't need earlier than that. Ofc a T3 rush will hit around the same time making something like MMLs really, really niche(more than labs I'd say.)

Seeing as the problem isn't really T2~T1 but rather T3~T2 timings, perhaps you're looking at the problem from the wrong angle...
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Postby Zeldafanboy » 07 Nov 2017, 18:03

AdmiralZeech wrote:I've always said that I think T2 should be the default tier in most matches. I'm happy to throw T1 under a bus, and relegate T1 to the same situation as LABs (only used very early and then situationally afterwards).

What?

Why would you throw the most important part of the game under the bus? I feel like T1 is the purest and simplest distillation of what makes Forged Alliance so great.
Symbiont solidarity. All UEF Are Bastards.
Zeldafanboy

Been liked: 13 times
FAF User Name: Zeldafanboy

Postby AdmiralZeech » 15 Nov 2017, 14:32

Zeldafanboy wrote:
AdmiralZeech wrote:I've always said that I think T2 should be the default tier in most matches. I'm happy to throw T1 under a bus, and relegate T1 to the same situation as LABs (only used very early and then situationally afterwards).

What?

Why would you throw the most important part of the game under the bus? I feel like T1 is the purest and simplest distillation of what makes Forged Alliance so great.

Well, opinions differ obviously. I like T2 on a theoretical basis because that's where all the mechanics available in the game come into play. So I would prefer most of the game to stay in that phase.
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Next

Return to Balance Discussion