New veteran system sucks for regular units

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: New veteran system sucks for regular units

Postby JoonasTo » 07 Dec 2017, 15:01

Should be noted that before you ctrl-k engies when enemy ACU teles in or experimental is on the path to your base. Now you ctrl-k mexes, power and factories instead and spam PD with engies. Not sure if that's an improvement or a detriment.

Before you lost the ability to defend said base but experimentals/ACUs often went through the base, leaving something behind because they didn't have time to kill it all. Now you lose the whole base always(because you can't give the enemy five star exp/acu.)

Oh yeah, T1 arty(for UEF and cybran) is really good now since it doesn't vet commanders like tanks do and commanders got nerfed vs T1 spam quite a bit. I tend to vet now at around 27-29 kills. That's a lot more.
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Postby Wesmania » 10 Dec 2017, 20:06

As a bit of anecdotal evidence, I just got my ACU killed in a game #7170040. I was about 500 mass away from getting my 5th vet, on low health, getting away from some pillars. I assumed it's not a big deal, since I would vet and get away with it, but after OCing 5 pillars I still didn't get my vet, and with just 70 mass to go I died.

Apparently OCing targets makes them worth 50% less mass in veterancy? It's a little bit infuriating when a mechanic you thought you know how to predict starts acting against you because of some bullshit hotfix to a corner case. If ACUs vet too fast by OCing high-tech units, then maybe we could make this behaviour consistent (as in, tech level X gets Y% veterancy bonuses / penalties against tech level Z) instead of making localized changes that screw with players' perception and prediction of game mechanics.
Wesmania
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 79 times
FAF User Name: MazorNoob

Postby ZLO_RD » 11 Dec 2017, 12:46

Wesmania wrote:As a bit of anecdotal evidence, I just got my ACU killed in a game #7170040. I was about 500 mass away from getting my 5th vet, on low health, getting away from some pillars. I assumed it's not a big deal, since I would vet and get away with it, but after OCing 5 pillars I still didn't get my vet, and with just 70 mass to go I died.

Apparently OCing targets makes them worth 50% less mass in veterancy? It's a little bit infuriating when a mechanic you thought you know how to predict starts acting against you because of some bullshit hotfix to a corner case. If ACUs vet too fast by OCing high-tech units, then maybe we could make this behaviour consistent (as in, tech level X gets Y% veterancy bonuses / penalties against tech level Z) instead of making localized changes that screw with players' perception and prediction of game mechanics.

5 pillars are little less than 1000 mass... i think about 990 mass. There is another mechanic that you are probably missing. 2 units attacking one unit will share veteranicy proportional to the amount of damage that they dealt.
Here is an "hard" example:
so if you see a UEF mass extractor, and say one mantis damages it by 50% (380 damage) then say someone repairs it to full HP and then different mantis comes and kills exctractor dealing 760 damage. so maximum amount of vet you can get is 36. vet is going to be split proportionally to damage. second mantis did twice more damage and it will get twice as much vet. (one gets 12 and other 24)

back to meaningfull things: my last idea is that pillars were low health when you OCed them. If not, someone should check replay and see if there is something bugged with overcharge...
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby PhilipJFry » 11 Dec 2017, 12:53

https://github.com/FAForever/fa/blob/de ... .lua#L2346
higher tech gives less vet to the acu to avoid vetting very rapidly
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Farmsletje » 11 Dec 2017, 13:33

I still cant get over the fact that people argued that calculating vet wouldnt get harder at all with this vet system.
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby TheKoopa » 11 Dec 2017, 14:43

Back to bhedit
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Previous

Return to Balance Discussion