Cyb ACU´s cloak useless

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Cyb ACU´s cloak useless

Postby FtXCommando » 31 Jul 2017, 18:30

If you would kindly read the post above mine you would realize I'm talking about a theoretical unit ability that would make units totally invisible.

To be on topic, I think that GC Omni is kind of stupid and I don't really understand why it has that capability in the game. I'd much rather get rid of that as it really only serves to hard counter cloak acus (and I guess step on people hiding in water?). T3 scouts are not some omnipresent factor in the game. You can't always have spy planes over the ACU just like you can't always have scout planes over a stealth ACU. Unless you're a Cybran player that has a deathly allergy to making air and maa, I guess.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Steel_Panther » 31 Jul 2017, 19:33

FtXCommando wrote:If you would kindly read the post above mine you would realize I'm talking about a theoretical unit ability that would make units totally invisible.

To be on topic, I think that GC Omni is kind of stupid and I don't really understand why it has that capability in the game. I'd much rather get rid of that as it really only serves to hard counter cloak acus (and I guess step on people hiding in water?). T3 scouts are not some omnipresent factor in the game. You can't always have spy planes over the ACU just like you can't always have scout planes over a stealth ACU. Unless you're a Cybran player that has a deathly allergy to making air and maa, I guess.

He didn't say explicitly, but it seems pretty obvious to me there would be some energy drain for using the ability.
You assumed it would be free to run, I think it's far more reasonable to assume it would have a cost, based on what he said (Otherwise why not have it activate automatically instead of manually?) and how the game works (especially since any stealth or cloak currently does). You are correct that otherwise it would be horrible. I just used the assumption that would not make the idea moronic. And units which reveal the cloaked units take us right back to where we are with cloak and spy planes, gc.

Yes T3 scouts are not omnipresent but I think it's a lot cheaper to temporarily get enough scouts over a base when you have an opportunity to snipe a cloaked com, than it is to get the upgrade.
Steel_Panther

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 19 times
FAF User Name: Steel_Panther

Postby FtXCommando » 31 Jul 2017, 19:47

So you need to snipe the power that will be centrally located in the most secure part of the map for your mirror in order to deal with 3 perma-cloaked tanks stopping you from building the expansion on your side of the map unless you send tanks to babysit your engies. Actually you'd need to send several engies as well as the same amount of tanks at a minimum as the tanks could just kill the first engineer and still accomplish denying the expansion.

Works well totally balanced 10/10

If someone has the capability to spam strats + t3 scouts to find your cloak ACU and you had nothing stopping the snipe, cloak wasn't the problem.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Wesmania » 01 Aug 2017, 08:04

IMO the one reason cloak would be OP if it was cheaper is because of the mazer. If we moved cloak upgrade onto the mazer / torpedo arm, you wouldn't be able to make an ACU / base killing machine, but a cloak ACU would still be useful for stealth shenanigans and OCing exps. Making it cost as much as mazer (and keeping the running cost) would be pretty viable then. I don't know if telecloak would be OP in the very late game, though.

biass wrote:<snip>

Biass, you're being a hypocritical and oblivious asshole again.
Wesmania
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 79 times
FAF User Name: MazorNoob

Postby biass » 01 Aug 2017, 08:06

Wesmania wrote:Biass, you're being a hypocritical and oblivious asshole again.

How cute

Wesmania wrote:IMO the one reason cloak would be OP if it was cheaper is because of the mazer. If we moved cloak upgrade onto the mazer / torpedo arm,

Sure dude, Cloak, T3, Tele coms, sounds good? im sure people will just sit in base with their wasted upgrade and do "defense" like you want to believe

and im the oblivious one kappa

Cloak is not "op" because of the mazer, for one cloak is not op, and for two incase you forgot cloak renders you almost invisible?

we're waiting for a counter argument to the "t3 scouts are not free and invulnerable" part but you've both resorted to insults, how sad

also @ftx the dude has his own mod and that is what i think he was talking about
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Wesmania » 01 Aug 2017, 08:36

biass wrote:How cute

You've been abusive and condescending to other people this entire thread, I just wanted to point it out. It's not really my problem whether you acknowlege this.

biass wrote:Sure dude, Cloak, T3, Tele coms, sounds good? im sure people will just sit in base with their wasted upgrade and do "defense" like you want to believe

I specifically mentioned (offensive) stealth shenanigans and that I'm not sure whether tele combo won't make it too OP, so I don't understand where your mockery is coming from. I imagine telecloak would make it easier for an ACU to teleport between enemy expansions, but wihout mazer it'd take a while to dismantle each one, and it's really something you could do with cloak com drops or regular drops anyway. It could be more of an issue on massive maps perhaps, but you don't have radar coverage on these anyway, and anything built by such an ACU can be scouted anyway.
Wesmania
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 79 times
FAF User Name: MazorNoob

Postby Mel_Gibson » 01 Aug 2017, 08:43

Make cloak cost the same as SACU cloak. Job done. Wait for cries of op or up. Readjust until tears are minimal.

Also, it's not easy to scout a cloak com making an exp unless you happen to luck spot with random t3 scout flying over it for 1 second. Or happen to have random vision and luck zoom in on it.
Mel_Gibson

Has liked: 694 times
Been liked: 186 times

Postby biass » 01 Aug 2017, 09:02

Wesmania wrote:You've been abusive and condescending to other people this entire thread, I just wanted to point it out. It's not really my problem whether you acknowlege this.

Both sides are abusive and condescending, as is the nature of this balance forums. the difference between you and i is that you're trying to bring it as the point of discussion as a cop-out to addressing the actual points, like for example, the T3 scout omnipresence, which you carefully chose to ignore, again.

I try not to care about it, i lower my quality standards by orders of magnitude in faf to make the time spent not weigh a toll on my sanity, but the huge issues with you, and other community members not responding to points and instead saying "lol u didn't read idiot look again r u illiterate?" is something i gotta comment on, its rampant. If that attitude goes away, you'll start to see people actually consider what you write here, and if not? your peers'll continue to come here and laugh at the threads, like they always do

ya boi wrote:I specifically mentioned (offensive) stealth shenanigans and that I'm not sure whether tele combo won't make it too OP, so I don't understand where your mockery is coming from. I imagine telecloak would make it easier for an ACU to teleport between enemy expansions, but wihout mazer it'd take a while to dismantle each one, and it's really something you could do with cloak com drops or regular drops anyway. It could be more of an issue on massive maps perhaps, but you don't have radar coverage on these anyway, and anything built by such an ACU can be scouted anyway.

It's not reeally about """"expansions"""" more then it is one of two things:

A: Omni are built forward (often in front base and given to a back slot for running costs) and telecloaking behind the back slots base might be out of omni range and then you have a really powerful "comdrop" of sorts that is both frustrating to the enemy player as it is difficult to properly punish

and B: making a quick detour to snipe omni before proceeding with whatever you were doing, this isnt big an issue, but it exists,

there is a point to be made about cybran being able to cloaktele and also having the cheapest experimental in the game, but i dont think it is that big of a deal.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Steel_Panther » 10 Aug 2017, 00:45

FtXCommando wrote:So you need to snipe the power that will be centrally located in the most secure part of the map for your mirror in order to deal with 3 perma-cloaked tanks stopping you from building the expansion on your side of the map unless you send tanks to babysit your engies. Actually you'd need to send several engies as well as the same amount of tanks at a minimum as the tanks could just kill the first engineer and still accomplish denying the expansion.

Works well totally balanced 10/10

If someone has the capability to spam strats + t3 scouts to find your cloak ACU and you had nothing stopping the snipe, cloak wasn't the problem.

I'll respond in similar fashion as you have. "If you would kindly read the post" I actually made, I specifically quoted only your criticism which was related solely to players being defeated, but with a completely undiscoverable com. I didn't say anything about his other ideas, because he didn't go into very much detail. Even so, his idea clearly contemplated that these, which you described as "perma-cloaked" units could be countered by other units as well (...not "perma" in my mind), making your above situation irrelevant anyway.
Steel_Panther

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 19 times
FAF User Name: Steel_Panther

Previous

Return to Balance Discussion